What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Chris you are referring to the drilled/slotted ones?
Yes. Sometimes depending on brand they might make an card flicking sound at low speed. Someone said it's because they are directional. Mine were backwards but instil hear ot at low speeds if the window is open. Either way its not really an issue

Ordered some new tires 255/40/20 for $359 off simple tire. Never ordered form there before. They will go to a Firestone near me to be mounted/balanced for $100. I was gonna replace my tires soon but I'm about to drove 2000mi round trip for a funeral next week. Gonna rent a lift and adjust my rear camber on Thursday or Friday b/c it's leading to quicker tire wear. I set it by eye when I first installed the camber arm (set a lot more than I needed) and have never adjusted it since.

There is a report on CR, but it's behind a paywall https://www.consumerreports.org/pro...-season-tire/atlas-force-uhp-397608/overview/

Last edited:
I have noticed that when I use Exxon Premium fuel I average 30MPG, but when I use regular I get about 26-27 MPG- Mazda CX-5 Touring non turbo- book says use regular. I find that I get better performance using premium- does the computer change tuning based on octane levels?

I have noticed that when I use Exxon Premium fuel I average 30MPG, but when I use regular I get about 26-27 MPG- Mazda CX-5 Touring non turbo- book says use regular. I find that I get better performance using premium- does the computer change tuning based on octane levels?
No.

And in the real world, most 2.5L NA owners don’t see any fuel efficiency benefit by using premium gas including me.

But if your driving condition causes a lot of timing retard and using premium gas could make timing retard happening less, hence you would get better gas mileage.

Difference is there (scientifically so). The ecu reacts to engine sensor feedback only, regardless of fuel type. The higher performing fuel will allow higher performance operation of the engine under adverse combustion conditions. Wether you notice or not depends on driver engagement, conditions, and driving style and situational awareness. Aside from any easily noticable mpg change that may or may not manifest, you have to be familiar with how your car acts at certain rpms and gear to pick up on the torque/hp differences that may be present. If you control your gear manually it becomes more prevalent at mid/high rpms, especially at high throttle settings. Again, of you are not engaged on your engine at that level you may not readily notice it until conditions become more much more adverse than normal (like driving into a hot place when you are used to colder climates, towing, higher speeds in lower gears ).

Difference is there (scientifically so). [snip]
I didn't want to jump with this in until others answered the OP's question...so all 2.5L engines have knock sensors and will adjust the timing accordingly? That means that the turbo is not the only one that yields more torque and HP at the higher revs, as you stated.

I, too, have noticed slightly improved mileage using 93 octane, based on limited [non-dynamometer] data in my Reserve. Others have here reported the same. It's interesting to see someone in an NA observe this, and at about twice the difference I've seen.

A quick calculation shows that for the OP's reported 26 MPG for regular and 30 MPG for premium, and a 70¢ per gallon price difference at today's prices in my area, there's a $3.32 cost difference for 300 miles worth of gas at each respective MPG (about 3/4 tank). The OP might find this to be acceptable for the enhanced performance he sees.

I didn't want to jump with this in until others answered the OP's question...so all 2.5L engines have knock sensors and will adjust the timing accordingly? That means that the turbo is not the only one that yields more torque and HP at the higher revs, as you stated.

I, too, have noticed slightly improved mileage using 93 octane, based on limited [non-dynamometer] data in my Reserve. Others have here reported the same. It's interesting to see someone in an NA observe this, and at about twice the difference I've seen.

A quick calculation shows that for the OP's reported 26 MPG for regular and 30 MPG for premium, and a 70¢ per gallon price difference at today's prices in my area, there's a $3.32 cost difference for 300 miles worth of gas at each respective MPG (about 3/4 tank). The OP might find this to be acceptable for the enhanced performance he sees.
Yes, primary knock sensor is actually the spark plug.. so keep your fuel system clean (and quality spark plug within resistance spec i.e oem) for max performance. Second sensor is on the block.

Removed the hardrace camber arm to adjust a lot of the camber out, but I couldn't break the middle jam bolts so I ended up putting the oem arm back on. I run lower profile tires now anyways so I dont need the extra camber.Annoyingly, one of the stud bolts on the lower strut came out with the nut and I could only get it back in half way and its stuck. Gonna have to weld a nut on it to remove it later and put a new bolt in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-215416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-215416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 213
I installed an under seat 8” subwoofer. I got the Rockville 400W slim subwoofer/amp combo and the wiring kit. Installation took about 3 hours. Sounds really good. Went from the stock 4 door OEM speaker set up to 3.5” speakers in the dash, OEM door speakers swapped with cheap Rockford Fosgate, and now the 8” sub under the passenger seat. I’m a happy camper.

Pampering our new girl today. Bought the machine grey metal 4 days ago. 2020 touring model with the preferred package, moonroof, bose system, and auto rear door. Took her out to stretch her legs and planning a trip to break her in. K&N air filter installed first day. She came with tint but here in AZ better tint is necessary. Tint appointment set for Tuesday. We have been shopping around for hood struts and suspect she will have them set up within a month. For a hood with considerable weight, again necessary. We really enjoy her sophisticated personality. She speaks when spoken to, but otherwise she is relatively quiet. Looking to dress her up with sublte accessories that compliment her personality and classiness.

3 tanks of gas I used Exxon regular 87 octane and averaged 26.8 MPG ( I would notate the amount of miles driven once I reached 1/2 tank (avg. 175-185 miles driven at 1/2 tank mark) My last 3 fill-ups I used Exxon 93 octane, avg 30.7 MPG, 1/2 tank mark - 210-215 miles driven. I am a lead foot as well lol- love the torque in the Mazda.

3 tanks of gas I used Exxon regular 87 octane and averaged 26.8 MPG ( I would notate the amount of miles driven once I reached 1/2 tank (avg. 175-185 miles driven at 1/2 tank mark) My last 3 fill-ups I used Exxon 93 octane, avg 30.7 MPG, 1/2 tank mark - 210-215 miles driven. I am a lead foot as well lol- love the torque in the Mazda.
My mileage improvement with 93 is nowhere near as much as yours (only about 1.5MPG.)

Glad to see you enjoying your car. I haven't heard many comments from folks regarding the torque in their NA (non-turbo) CX-5s. They ARE nice cars to drive.

I installed an under seat 8” subwoofer. I got the Rockville 400W slim subwoofer/amp combo and the wiring kit. Installation took about 3 hours. Sounds really good. Went from the stock 4 door OEM speaker set up to 3.5” speakers in the dash, OEM door speakers swapped with cheap Rockford Fosgate, and now the 8” sub under the passenger seat. I’m a happy camper.
Yes, replacing cheap OEM paper-cone speakers (including Bose system) is the most effective way to improve the sound quality of an audio system.

Back