LOL @ Rav4

LED Reflectors? The reflector housing makes the Rav4 seem like a low tier model.

Yes, this is noticeable cost cutting and affects the styling of the car.

Let us continue the RAV4 bashing. The RAV4 has too much cost cutting like the cheap (and cheaply insulated) interior, plastic leather instead of leather on top trims, and all the unpainted plastic cladding.

Speaking of engine issues, anyone have a problem with their CX-5’s leaking oil? Apparently there was a casting issue with a specific production of 2.5L’s. Requires engine replacement. A co-worker of mine currently has his 2019 at the dealer awaiting an engine.

Toyotas and RAV4s have had a very "appliance" look and feel to them for decades. It seems like the brand for people that buy cars because they need to, not because they want to. I've cross-shopped Toyotas with nearly every car purchase, and passed on them every time. That being said........I have a deposit on the 1st available RAV4 Prime due out this summer. It's refundable if I change my mind. It's more to guarantee I get the full $7,500 EV federal tax credit. If the MSRP comes in too high or the PHEV drivetrain feels too wonky I'll be falling back on a '20 CX-5 2.5t.

Speaking of engine issues, anyone have a problem with their CX-5’s leaking oil? Apparently there was a casting issue with a specific production of 2.5L’s. Requires engine replacement. A co-worker of mine currently has his 2019 at the dealer awaiting an engine.

How did he find the leaking issue?

We recently lost the EV rebate in Ontario. Possibly would have been a factor for me.

Lots to bash here with this RAV for sure, but the interior in upper levels is ok to my eyes. Exterior in upper levels is a more handsome version of rugged than the pic in this thread. That pic is an easy target. As usual, LE models are bare bones. I prefer chrome to rugged, but this rugged look might get some to cross shop against an Outback or Jeep.

This RAV does have torque vectoring on at least one model. That's impressive, although it can't get handling up to levels o a cx5 according to reviews I've read.

But power is a bummer. 203 HP seemed adequate couple yrs ago. I know the coming Prime model is supposed to be a rocket. But will it corner?

I'm not anti toyota. I had a 2014 4 cyl Camry SE, chose it over Mazda 6 (shall I duck down now??). Something about the way the 4 cyl 6 downshifted on turns didn't feel right. I'm a pretty avg driver, not enthusiast, no track days, no tuning. But something about the point in turn where it downshifted just wasnt right, and seemed a bit harsh. Maybe was a bad car for test drive. I made the sales rep quite queasy over the half hr, he didn't appreciate.

Oddly I found for the budget point I was at, the toyota exterior seemed sharper. Bigger rims, and I thought nicer lower fender design. The 6 had curves, but I just liked that SE.

I could go back to toyota. Maybe not this RAV though. Not from what I've seen in pics and read in reviews.

I heard the new Rav4 has a solid planted chassis...but just doesn't liked to be pushed like a CX-5 or Honda CRV. We'll probably be on the lookout for a Certified Rav4 Hybrid model on our "cluster".

We recently lost the EV rebate in Ontario. Possibly would have been a factor for me.

Lots to bash here with this RAV for sure, but the interior in upper levels is ok to my eyes. Exterior in upper levels is a more handsome version of rugged than the pic in this thread. That pic is an easy target. As usual, LE models are bare bones. I prefer chrome to rugged, but this rugged look might get some to cross shop against an Outback or Jeep.

This RAV does have torque vectoring on at least one model. That's impressive, although it can't get handling up to levels o a cx5 according to reviews I've read.

But power is a bummer. 203 HP seemed adequate couple yrs ago. I know the coming Prime model is supposed to be a rocket. But will it corner?

I'm not anti toyota. I had a 2014 4 cyl Camry SE, chose it over Mazda 6 (shall I duck down now??). Something about the way the 4 cyl 6 downshifted on turns didn't feel right. I'm a pretty avg driver, not enthusiast, no track days, no tuning. But something about the point in turn where it downshifted just wasnt right, and seemed a bit harsh. Maybe was a bad car for test drive. I made the sales rep quite queasy over the half hr, he didn't appreciate.

Oddly I found for the budget point I was at, the toyota exterior seemed sharper. Bigger rims, and I thought nicer lower fender design. The 6 had curves, but I just liked that SE.

I could go back to toyota. Maybe not this RAV though. Not from what I've seen in pics and read in reviews.

My previous two vehicles were Lexus so I appreciate Toyota's general quality, but they really cut costs with the new generation RAV4. It is actually a worse vehicle than the previous gen.

I think it is a fair comparison. Sport/Touring trims are better value than the Toyota equivalent. Mazda gives you alloy wheels, projector headlights, leather steering wheel standard (among other things), all of which you have to pay extra for on the RAV. And pleather is their idea of an upgraded interior.

Toyotas and RAV4s have had a very "appliance" look and feel to them for decades. It seems like the brand for people that buy cars because they need to, not because they want to. I've cross-shopped Toyotas with nearly every car purchase, and passed on them every time. That being said........I have a deposit on the 1st available RAV4 Prime due out this summer. It's refundable if I change my mind. It's more to guarantee I get the full $7,500 EV federal tax credit. If the MSRP comes in too high or the PHEV drivetrain feels too wonky I'll be falling back on a '20 CX-5 2.5t.

RAV4 prime looks much better, I think it will be expensive (no price announced still) even with the rebate, though. Toyota did a very mild refresh for the 2020 models to deal with noise complaints.

Yes, this is noticeable cost cutting and affects the styling of the car.

Let us continue the RAV4 bashing. The RAV4 has too much cost cutting like the cheap (and cheaply insulated) interior, plastic leather instead of leather on top trims, and all the unpainted plastic cladding.
I agree. On the other hand, Toyota believes if you want better interior and insulation, you should check out their luxury brand - Lexus. Unfortunately most of them look ugly too!

Lots to bash here with this RAV for sure, but the interior in upper levels is ok to my eyes. Exterior in upper levels is a more handsome version of rugged than the pic in this thread. That pic is an easy target. As usual, LE models are bare bones.

I agree. I got the XLE Premium because the 19” wheels really helped the overall appearance. The wheels on the LE look terrible. I actually didn’t notice the headlight assembly were reflectors until somebody pointed it out. They work great at night though with the standard LED lamps. I’m not sure how projectors would improve their function at all.

If the car were just for me, the CX5 would have won hands down on the interior. But! I just moved to north Alabama and I’m doing a ton of hiking with the wife and kids. Little kids. I needed the interior to be durable and something I wouldn’t stress over each time the kids got in and out with their muddy boots. The SofTex is so easy to clean and it won’t scratch easy. My anxiety would have been thru the roof with the CX5 because I wouldn’t want the kids to destroy it lol.

That being said........I have a deposit on the 1st available RAV4 Prime due out this summer. It's refundable if I change my mind. It's more to guarantee I get the full $7,500 EV federal tax credit. If the MSRP comes in too high or the PHEV drivetrain feels too wonky I'll be falling back on a '20 CX-5 2.5t.
Those EV and PHEV rebates are big. They’re available not only from Federal, but also from State and even from electricity company. My brother is leasing a Chevy Bolt EV, he got rebates from Federal、California、PG&E、and GM, the end result was like leasing a ~$7,000 vehicle! He’s also getting half price on electricity for overnight usage from PG&E mainly for charging his EV. Considering high gas price which has always been in $3~$4 range in California, getting EV or PHEV makes a lot of sense economical wise.

Of course the rebate programs keep changing, make sure to check the availability and qualification from your car dealers.

Leaking oil, especially minor ones here and there, is not uncommon on SktActiv-G 2.5L. There’re several TSBs associated with oil seepages and leaks. Usually Mazda would try to fix the leaks with repairs or parts replacement, and the whole engine replacement is very rare (hope you can get more details from your co-worker such as a copy of service invoice). One of the major obstacles to prevent oil leaks on 2.5L is its 2-piece engine block instead of one used by almost everybody else. The timing chain cover at front would leak easily if the complex assembly procedure is not properly been done. And it still could leak after several thousand miles due to the thermal effects at the contact points among two blocks and timing chain cover.

I actually didn’t notice the headlight assembly were reflectors until somebody pointed it out. They work great at night though with the standard LED lamps. I’m not sure how projectors would improve their function at all.
Yes headlights with projector don’t mean they’re better lighting. Projector headlights look more sophisticated and can be easily to be adjusted with AFS function. But traditional headlights with reflector can be great too from the safety point of view. Hopefully the LED used on RAV4 headlights can be replaced cheaply and easily.

Cheaply and easily is important. Look how many old cars are running with dim, yellow headlights because the lens are too difficult/expensive.

I wonder how many cars with bad LED lights will be out there in 10 years.

Cheaply and easily is important. Look how many old cars are running with dim, yellow headlights because the lens are too difficult/expensive.

I hope not many. I don’t believe LEDs will dim with time. They either work, flicker, or are dead. They better last a long time because the OEM LEDs run $120 a headlight XD

I hate to promote The Nanny State, but this is one of the many reasons I'm glad there's an annual vehicle inspection requirement in my state (although the current legislators are trying to get rid of it). Back in the day it used to be a twice-a-year thing. In some congested counties there's an Emissions Test.

One of the inspection points is the headlamps.

From the state inspection manual:
In any headlamp the lens is cracked, broken, discolored, or rotated away from the proper position, or the reflector is not clean and bright.

This is more subjective than I thought. I thought there was a discrete measurement for brightness, but I guess the machine they use is to check aiming and patterns (there's a spec for both.)

Oil was on the garage floor and he smelled a burning smell. The dealer verified oil was leaking. Also coated the alternator. Dealer said there is a TSB for a batch of bad heads that were improperly cast.
Sounds like Toyota’s improperly cast engine block problem mentioned by the OP in his first post.

Those EV and PHEV rebates are big. They’re available not only from Federal, but also from State and even from electricity company. My brother is leasing a Chevy Bolt EV, he got rebates from Federal、California、PG&E、and GM, the end result was like leasing a ~$7,000 vehicle! He’s also getting half price on electricity for overnight usage from PG&E mainly for charging his EV. Considering high gas price which has always been in $3~$4 range in California, getting EV or PHEV makes a lot of sense economical wise.

Of course the rebate programs keep changing, make sure to check the availability and qualification from your car dealers.

The best prices I have seen on EVs was a group buy in California for Leaf SV (middle trim) for 11K after all said and done. Another was $14000 for VW e-Golf after rebates from CA / Feds and VW.
If possible I would love to get a B Class electric, they are used under 20K easily - but that interior is superb. It is a Tesla driven car so I am not sure about long term support from Mercedes.

Back