2016 CX5 DRL recall announced

So the problem is caused by the wiring gasket which is releasing sulfur, which is in turn corroding the LED control circuit?

I thought less-powerful revised “J” version LED headlights have been very stable with original sulfur-releasing wiring gasket?

Checked my Mazda app but no notification yet for a recall notice. Noticed someone in another thread had rec'd a notification already.

Wait, take that back. This is still so new that it's not available on the NHTSA site.

"This new campaign has not yet been published in the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) recall database, and Mazda's statement did not include details of the proper remedy for the issue or when customers can expect to be contacted to arrange for service."

Give it a week or so. Not like this is a serious issue. ;)

I still have yet to see one?!?

Check your VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
There must be something in your area preventing the wiring harness gasket releasing sulfur? And the same sulfur-releasing issue has been mentioned in a TSB which caused streaking marks inside of headlight lens.

I wonder if this recall will replace the whole LED headlights if the LED DRLs haven’t failed? I definitely want the new less-powerful dot-matrix style “J” version, which apparently can resist sulfur better.

Remember my friend who refused to pay $400 replacing the LED headlights? Good for him as now he could get a set of new LED headlights and wiring gaskets for free! His persistence paid off but unfortunately he couldn’t see the free replacement in person as he just passed away in January due to a heart attack. :(

Last edited:
I'm pleasantly surpised that this is a recall. I checked my wife's VIN on the NHTSA site and it's there it is! Procrastination paid off this time, though I'm sure a reimburesment would be in order for anybody who paid to replace their lights.

I just hope that we don't end up with a mismatched set. I don't come here often, but apparently there are 2 versions of these lights? My wife's have a bright "light tube" look as opposed to the more punctate pattern.

Last edited:
About time. Saw my first failed DRL on a CX-5 in person last week, They are real they exist LOL!.

I'm glad they finally issued a recall for it, but I want my $139 back that I had to pay for labor to have the second one replaced last year. Mazda paid for the left one 100%, but when the right failed a few months later, they paid for the part but not the labor. I'll take it up with them when I get the recall notice.

2 of the most common things I see on the roads.....2016 CX5's with passenger or driver side DRL LED rings out/dim and Nissan Rogues driving at night with only their DRL's on.
I've seen these BOTH this week yet again.

True that about the Nissan Rogues. Last year I made the mistake of politely telling the driver of a Nissan Rogue that his headlights are off. It was about 8 pm at night and he yelled back at me saying he doesn’t need them. He can see everything alright.

well, mazda recall site confirmed my VIN is covered by the recall. I’m going to talk to dealer about it on Friday. Just checked and both of my DRLs are nice and bright with no flickering. 42000 miles

True that about the Nissan Rogues. Last year I made the mistake of politely telling the driver of a Nissan Rogue that his headlights are off. It was about 8 pm at night and he yelled back at me saying he doesn’t need them. He can see everything alright.

I wonder if he would have said the same thing to the police if they had told him. He's obviously "entitled" not to have the headlights on as it would infringe his human rights otherwise, blah blah etc etc.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back