Battery CCA rating for OEM 2019 cx5 signature

Sandiegocx5

2019 CX-5 Signature
I have opened the hood on my
car and i am not able to read the CCA rating for my OEM battery. What is the CCA rating. Need that info for my battery tester.

I had the same question on my 2019 Signature. The response that I received from Mazda was CCA of 356. Here is the full reply:

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center! We appreciate you being part of our Mazda family, Jim, and I hope you are enjoying your CX-5 so far.

Your vehicle’s OEM battery that was installed at-factory was manufactured in Japan. Rather than a CCA rating, Japanese auto battery manufacturers use a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) to identify a battery by its capacity (amps), dimensions, and battery terminal arrangement by using a six-digit alpha/numeric number. The battery for your vehicle uses JIS 55D23L. Based on my research, this would convert to a CCA rating of 356. For your records, the original part number for your battery will be F221-18-520F.

Please do not hesitate to reconnect with us if you have further questions. You can reach me directly by replying to this email or using the number below. Thank you again for contacting Mazda, Jim, have a great day!

Sincerely,

Kailey

Representative, Customer Experience

Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1168

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30 AM - 3:30 PM Pacific Time (SR Number: 1-2374083689)

Our battery is made by Panasonic, model 55D23L.
60Ah
CCA: 550, or 478 (JIS, Japanese standard rating)
Dimension: LxWxH: 232x173x227 (mm)
Weight: 14.4kg
Group Size: 35 (US)

You should get a replacement with at least 550CCA.

This may be an apples & oranges thing, but...

On this thread of last week discussing a battery issue, Jmaz said his OEM Panasonic battery was rated at 320 CCA and was getting weak after 6 years of use in midwest winters, so he replaced it as a preemptive.

That was in a 2014 CX-5.

I'm not certain if the requirements are different for the Sigs. And I don't know how he (or Mazda Customer Service in the Jim M's case) determined the CCA.

I looked online when Sandiegocx5 initially posted his question, and again just now when ceric posted the part#. None of the Mazda OEM parts websites cite the battery's specs, in either American or Japanese standards.

edit to add: Here's a pdf for specs on the Japanese battery standards. This is a resource from AETOOL's website. They make battery analyzers.

If Mazda Customer Service is correct that the Sig battery is JIS 55D23L, and the pdf is accurate, then the Sig's CCA specs are:

Wet: 355
MF: 480
CMF/MMF: 500

There is this note at the end of the CCA table for each specific JIS#:

battery chart.jpg

Last edited:
Just as a quick aside (not to entirely derail the topic at hand), what is the highest CCA battery available for our sigs? I know it’s a group 35 battery and odyssey has an AGM battery with 850 CCA.

Just as a quick aside (not to entirely derail the topic at hand), what is the highest CCA battery available for our sigs? I know it’s a group 35 battery and odyssey has an AGM battery with 850 CCA.

It's tough finding the Sig on anyone's application chart.

I just looked at Odyssey, Optima and DieHard, and they don't even list the turbo. When I select the 2019 2.5L CX-5:

-Optima says they do not make one for that car
-As you said, Odyssey only shows the #35-PC1400T @ 850CCA ($305.00)
-Sears lists over 400 found results for the 2019 Sig with the 2.5L (does not say turbo), including an XS Power brand @ 1,170 cranking amps (does not say "cold")

I don't know what else Sears shows. These are mostly 3rd party vendors. I just browsed the most expensive ones.

That JIS conversion rating is low.........The Duralast Gold Battery we got at Autozone better have longer life!

I just checked the CCA using a hand held battery tester. It gave me a reading of 551. Most likely the battery is not rated for 356 as mentioned earlier by Jim M based on Mazda customer service reply. I tend to believe the number is somewhere 500-550 based on other folks inputs.

I replace my battery when the CCA drops by ~20% below rated (that is what my battery tester threshold for bad battery). So will most likely change it when it reads ~450 or so.

I use Solar BA7 battery tested from amazon....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Another data point. I read 525 CCA on my 2019 Sig using a Schumacher BT-250 Digital Battery Tester. It's the original battery with about 8500 miles on the CX5.

As a test, I've got another car with a 3.5 yr old battery rated at 900 CCA. It now reads 795 (after overnight charge with a maintainer), so it is getting on towards end-of-life but still does the job just fine. I'll probably replace it in the next year, sooner if I start seeing issues.

Another data point. I read 525 CCA on my 2019 Sig using a Schumacher BT-250 Digital Battery Tester. It's the original battery with about 8500 miles on the CX5.

So the conversion of 500 is just about right.

Don't these things usually read higher than the spec when brand new?

So the conversion of 500 is just about right.

Don't these things usually read higher than the spec when brand new?
Yes that has been my experience. They almost always read higher than rated when new. Atleast in the 10+ batteries I have changed myself over the years.

So which are you using most...the $55 Solar BA7 or the $150 Schumacher BT-250?

As I said, I'd like to have one for my tractor. It's coming up on 10 years old with the original battery in it.

So which are you using most...the $55 Solar BA7 or the $150 Schumacher BT-250?

As I said, I'd like to have one for my tractor. It's coming up on 10 years old with the original battery in it.
Wow, I bought my Schumacher BTF-250 for $13.49 on clearance at Lowes about 2 yrs ago. Its been sitting on the workbench gathering dust. I didn't even know how to use it until this thread motivated me.

So you linked to a much cheaper one on Amazon. Ever try it out?

I'm kinda past the point where I'll
>buy cheap
>throw it out
>buy what I should have in the first place

But I really don't have the need for a $150 tester.

I don't have a use for one either, but for $13.49, I figured it would, some day, come in handy.
That was sandiegocx5 with the Solar BA7.

I don't have a use for one either, but for $13.49, I figured it would, some day, come in handy.
That was sandiegocx5 with the Solar BA7.
Gotcha.
Sorry.
Darn my spacey butt!

I thought you were avoiding the question ;)

Yeh, for $13, I'd snag one.

Back