2017~2024 Possible rodent or mice under the hood....

Cheap drier sheets under seats ,in glove box.Drop or two of peppermint oil on sheet,stuff a couple in firewall area.I store my BMW in unheated garage Nov.thru April.no mice ...tailpipe also.5 gal.bucket,water and a diving board,google it!

Cheap drier sheets under seats ,in glove box.Drop or two of peppermint oil on sheet,stuff a couple in firewall area.I store my BMW in unheated garage Nov.thru April.no mice ...tailpipe also.5 gal.bucket,water and a diving board,google it!
I put peppermint oil on the cabin air filter when I replaced the one full of mouse crap. Checked it 2 days later and a hole was chewed through it.

I put peppermint oil on the cabin air filter when I replaced the one full of mouse crap. Checked it 2 days later and a hole was chewed through it.
But the mice had nice breath ;)

Old-style spring traps are still the best eradication method, right up there with felines. The mice quickly adapt to sounds & scents stuff (which may work briefly), while poisons and glue traps have their own downsides.

But the mice had nice breath ;)

Old-style spring traps are still the best eradication method, right up there with felines. The mice quickly adapt to sounds & scents stuff (which may work briefly), while poisons and glue traps have their own downsides.
Yup - my garage is full of snap traps. I refresh the peanut butter every couple months.

I store my trans am in the for the winter months through mud season, so it can go a few months without the cover being removed. The traps around the car let me know if there is anything I need to worry about.

I wouldn't count on electronic devices and stuff that has scents (drier sheets/peppermint oils/whatever). Do a internet search on those things. Some folks say they work great while others say that they don't work at all.

I use mouse baits and snap traps. These work no question.

Yes the best way to deal with them is get rid of them.
I've heard that steel wool is irritating to them so if you have a mousehole try stuffing some in it. An exterminator showed me how to look for signs of entry around the foundation,etc.

I am dealing with a rodent issue in our 2017 CX5.

The one that came us to visit went after a roll of paper towel and the shop towel all the way in the trunk. Chewed off insulation outside of the glove box and some under the dashboard. Also chewed off the insulation under the engine cover and some on the panel that covers the blower motor. Thankfully it didn’t chew any wires. None that I see so far.

So I bought some of those glue traps and set them across inside the car and the engine bay. Didn’t work.

Emptied the car completely save for removing the seats. Removed some parts of the dash including the middle console and vacuumed the inside. Then use a leaf blower also. Washed the engine bay.

Now for the past few days I put moth balls inside the car and the engine bay once we park for the night. Sprayed the interior of the car with peppermint oil mixed with water. So far no signs of the rodent.

Hoping that I have seen the last of it.

So I bought some of those glue traps and set them across inside the car and the engine bay. Didn’t work.

You should be glad it didn't work. I did not want to post the gory details regarding the downside of glue traps. Let's just say that the critter will be frantic enough to get away to chew off whatever is holding it back. It ain't pretty.

I put hot sauce on some ham when the dog kept hovering around the table. It worked for a little bit 🤷‍♂️

You should be glad it didn't work. I did not want to post the gory details regarding the downside of glue traps. Let's just say that the critter will be frantic enough to get away to chew off whatever is holding it back. It ain't pretty.
Used a glue trap once in the basement,never did find it but the basement smelled terrible for weeks.Snap traps and peanut butter work well..

I recently had rodents eat parts of the plastic near the windshield, and caused major damage to water tubing for the windshield washer system to the point that I have to replace all of it… expensive repairs. Today I sprayed a mix of peppermint oil and water around the engine area and will wait for it to dry. I understand there are spray products made specifically to mitigate rodent issues in cars, and they're based on peppermint.

I recently had rodents eat parts of the plastic near the windshield, and caused major damage to water tubing for the windshield washer system to the point that I have to replace all of it… expensive repairs. Today I sprayed a mix of peppermint oil and water around the engine area and will wait for it to dry. I understand there are spray products made specifically to mitigate rodent issues in cars, and they're based on peppermint.

Check out my earlier post. Pepper mint doesn’t bother them. At least not the ones near me.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried water and vinegar, or anything else that has worked? This is worrisome to me. The potential damage can be pretty bad based on what I have read from others.

You gotta put out the original old-fashioned snap traps, placed pointing at the walls like this:

wall.jpg

Mice always run next to the walls for cover, rarely out in the open unless they're making a dash for their next cover or target destination.

I would also place these traps under the car pointed to the inside of the front tires (one for each front tire), just as the above is pointed to the wall. Mice are likely climbing up the inside of the tire to get under the hood.

Do not get this type of snap trap:

Victor-Mousetrap.jpg

See how close the trip paddle is to the edges? A mouse can trip the trap and only have the tip of its snout crushed and caught. It's messy, painful, cruel...and not lethal. That's not good for either of you.

Alternatively, you could try one of The Bucket Methods:

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Make the water deep enough so that they cannot stand up in it. They eventually tire from treading and drown. I've never tried this...I've always used the old fashioned snap traps when I've had a mouse problem.

If you’re trapping/killing rather than deterring then the Rat Zapper with a small piece of Slim Jim for bait humanely kills rodents instantly.

Last edited:
I got my CX-5 back from repairs. $150 later and they replaced the windshield washer hoses that had been eaten by rodents.
1581373167653.png

1581373194253.png

1581373215259.png

If you suspect you have mice, check the cabin air filter. They love to hang out there. I recently screened the firewall opening that leads to the cabin air filter. It is a relatively easy job because the windshield cowl is split so you just need to remove the passenger side of the cowl. There is no need to remove the windshield wiper arms. The pics show: passenger side cowl, opening to cabin filter air shaft, and the same opening with 1/4 inch grid metal screening. I also screened the engine air filter intake. I've had mice build nests in the intake of our Toyota so I wanted to protect the intake of the CX-5.

Attachments

• windshield_cowl.jpg
    windshield_cowl.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 145
  • cabin_air_inlet.jpg
    cabin_air_inlet.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 157
  • cabin_air_screen.jpg
    cabin_air_screen.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 146
  • air_intake_screen.jpg
    air_intake_screen.jpg