2020 Jan map available...

How can I confirm that I did successfully add the update ?

I browsed the web to see if there was any way to tell which Ver of the maps you have. I found nothing.

The only thing I can think of is to pull the card and browse the files on your PC. I would look for a filename that tells you which version (or Month/Year) you have.

At a minimum, the file dates should tell you when they were last saved.

If you put the SD card back in your pc, start Mazda tools again and click on map info on the left side, it will show you which version is on the SD card and which version is available. If you did the most recent one correctly, it will state “January 2020” for both.

^^^ Thanks for this way to check on map version after the download & install, and thanks to the OP for the heads up on the availability.

Just back on Dec 28/19, I updated to the NA "June 2019" maps, so this was almost back-to-back for me.

I hope there will be another one before mid-May 2020 as I will be out of my three years then.

KhbOuzYl.jpg

SnleeLZl.jpg

7168UDPl.jpg

So is there any definitive written Mazda policy on when the 3-year clocks starts to tick for updates? There appears to be discrepancy among the posts here. Time of vehicle purchase, or, after the first instance of the card interacting w/ Toobox? If the latter, then I'll simply wait until I have a need to as I'll likely be keeping this thing for a very long time. If not, I might as well go ahead and update.

Meanwhile, my 10+ year old $100 Garmin nuvi 1450LMT is always up to date...at no charge. ;)

I can’t speak for others but I can tell you that my 3 year clock started when I purchased my vehicle.

In my case, the 3-yr clock started ticking some ten days after we picked up the CX-5 on May 1st, so my expiry is May 11th, three years later. This would appear to support the idea that the clock starts ticking after 100 km / 63 miles when the vehicle or VIN registers/mates/locks to the SDcard.
Ten days to do the 100 km sounds about right as we are fairly close to the dealer, and as the third vehicle, it saw less use.

Completed the update to the latest maps successfully. Before doing anything, Toolbox indicated my VIN's updates expire Feb. 2021 after recognizing the SD card. Build date of my car was Feb. 2018. Purchased the car new May 2018. It appears the factory NAV system/SD card's free update period/duration is tied to the VIN's build date.

Completed the update to the latest maps successfully. Before doing anything, Toolbox indicated my VIN's updates expire Feb. 2021 after recognizing the SD card. Build date of my car was Feb. 2018. Purchased the car new May 2018. It appears the factory NAV system/SD card's free update period/duration is tied to the VIN's build date.

So you lost transit time and time sitting on the dealer's lot!

There seems to be no consistency to this.

Yep. Not that I really care, but, feel it is a bit of a rip-off to have to pay for updates to a device I had to pay for in the damn car in the first place.

Consistency...standards...what's that?

I'm curious as to when/who inserts the SD card. I purchased my current (2nd) 2019 GTR in Oct 2019. It had been sitting on the dealers lot since June. When I checked it out prior to purchase the system said the NAV had not been activated yet. It was active when I picked up the vehicle & when I recently updated my maps, Mazda Toolbox said my 3 years expires in Oct. 2022.

I believe there were several people on this forum who said they had to go back to the dealer to get their SD card as it had not been included in their vehicle on models in which NAV is standard.

I wonder if after my 3 years of updates are up on my factory SD card, I can buy a new SD card cheap from EBay, install it, drive the 63 miles so it registers with my vehicle, and get 3 years of updates on that card beginning from that date of installation.

I'm curious as to when/who inserts the SD card.

Good question, dunno...no clue if it was installed or not when I test drove it before purchase. Never checked, didn't know I needed to check. I never touched the SD card until yesterday for the first time...the Nav always worked. The car had 15-20 miles on it when I first got in it at the dealer.

Yeh, so there's already a card registered for that VIN...
I'm thinking it's just that particular card is tied to a specific VIN meaning it can't be used in another vehicle. If for some reason a defective or malfunctioning SD had to be replaced with a fresh one, in theory the new card should then sync to the vehicle VIN after the requisite 63? miles. How would that effect the 36 month clock?

Anybody out there have a card past their 3 years that has done as suggested above & buy a replacement off eBay or other? Results?

I'm curious as to when/who inserts the SD card. I purchased my current (2nd) 2019 GTR in Oct 2019. It had been sitting on the dealers lot since June. When I checked it out prior to purchase the system said the NAV had not been activated yet. It was active when I picked up the vehicle & when I recently updated my maps, Mazda Toolbox said my 3 years expires in Oct. 2022.

I believe there were several people on this forum who said they had to go back to the dealer to get their SD card as it had not been included in their vehicle on models in which NAV is standard.

I just purchased a used 2019 GT, in the glovebox I found the original SD card zip lock bag, a dealership technician noted he installed it and acknowledged it with a signature.
My guess its installation is part of the delivery/sale process.

Also we bought an eBay SD card for my wifes CPO 2018 Touring, the card did NOT allow full 3 years of updates, we are getting about 2.5 years since her car was registered 6 months prior to purchase.

I just purchased a used 2019 GT, in the glovebox I found the original SD card zip lock bag, a dealership technician noted he installed it and acknowledged it with a signature.

This was true for me as well. When I bought my GT-R in November, while the paperwork was being done, the salesperson walked into the wait area and handed me the sealed NAV card and said a tech would come get it in a few minutes when they started to prep the car for delivery. So I know mine was installed during the new car prep activity.

Also we bought an eBay SD card for my wifes CPO 2018 Touring, the card did NOT allow full 3 years of updates, we are getting about 2.5 years since her car was registered 6 months prior to purchase.
This brings up an interesting scenario.

If I buy a new Mazda without NAV (basically, anything but the Sig), and then go to the dealer and buy NAV later, I'm not getting the same thing everyone else got for that price (NAV+36 months subscription).

This scenario is similar when someone buys a used CX-5 without NAV and then installs it.

Back