Recent content by webster

1. W

Computer Careers

You could probably get an entry level IT job with the State of South Carolina without any IT experience as they will train you. That's how I started by IT career 6 years ago (State of Louisiana). State jobs don't pay much, but after 3 or so years you can usually jump to the private sector...
  2. W

PBR brake pads?

I use PBR (Axxis) deluxe pads on my BMWs and wouldn't hesitate to do the same on my P5. The Deluxe are about as rotor friendly as a pad can get, don't dust much at all, yet still stop very well. Everyone in the BMW world knows that these are the pads to use instead of stock-----same...
  3. W

A simple but very useful interior mod

Imagine a thin sheet of black rubber that lines the bottom of the two pockets and cup holders. You don't notice them since they are the same color as the spaces they go yet they keep things from rattling and sliding around. I'll scan the inserts later tonight....
  4. W

A simple but very useful interior mod

I hated the fact that I couldn't place my cell phone in the storage pocket in front of the cup holders without it sliding all over the place and rattling. So, I made rubber inserts for this pocket, the one underneath the fog light switch, and for the cup holders. Now my cell phone stays put...
  5. W

How-To: Disabling Automatic A/C - Defrost modes

Great write-up and reminds me of how much I miss the HVAC in my old E30 BMW.. 3 sliders, one each to operate the defrost vents, dash vents, and floor vents respectively. You could have all three on if you wanted. Then a knob for fan speed, a button for AC, and a button to recirculate the air...
  6. W

Need help purchasing P5

You'll never get accurate answers when asking for OTD prices since TT&L costs vary depending on where you live. The only cost you shoud be thinking of is the selling price of the car which is negotiable. With that said, you should be able to get a bone stock P5 for around $12,500. Just add...
  7. W

console armrest

You are going to run into some difficulties if you want the armrest to both slide AND still be able to tilt up for access to the storage bin beneath. I have a 1997 BMW 528 with a sliding armrest that doesn't tilt (Standard in US). In Europe you can get them with a sliding/tilting armrest...
  8. W

Need Help Quick!.....Should I trade???

It would really help to provide the selling price of the car itself and NOT the OTD amount since states vary dramatically when it comes to TT&L fees. I went to the NC DMV site and found there is a 3% highway use tax (calculated on sale price - trade), $35 title fee, and $20 for a license. I...
  9. W

from synthetic oil to regular motor oil

****you should change the oil every 3k miles. I had 4 cars and always 150k plus miles on them, never had any major problems just always changes the oil. Stupid dealer tried to tell me that was to often, and 7k was alright**** The 3K mile oil change is they biggest myth in the automotive...
  10. W

Need Help Quick!.....Should I trade???

More specifics of the deal are needed to tell if it is a good deal or not. What is you payoff amount on your current loan? What is the MSRP of the 3 in question? Here is what I would do. Check ebaymotors to see what P5's like yours are selling for. Say they are going for $7K and you have a...
  11. W

any problems?

I am pretty sure you are correct about the escalade and navigator, but I could only find the data from 2001.
  12. W

any problems?

Rate of car theft is directly tied to the demand for the parts of said car. Since there really aren't all that many P5's the theft rate is low. Here is data from 2001 showing cars with the highest theft rates 1 Toyota Camry 2 Honda Accord 3 Honda Civic 4 Oldsmobile Cutlass/Supreme/Ciera 5...
  13. W

Where to mount Delphi XM

I have the roady and mouted it in the upper left hand corner of the windshield. Doesn't block visability at all and allowed me to hide the wires (behind A-pillar trim). I just couldn't imagine having the thing stick out anywhere in or around the dash. Would have been much harder to hide the...
  14. W

Roof rack or NO roof rack, that is the question

My opinion best looking to worst... 1. With roof rack 2. Totally void of roof rack 3. Roof rack without cross bars I have an 03 silver P5 and removed my crossbars for all of about 2 days. The car just didn't look right with those fatass black strips without the crossbars. BTW the worst...
  15. W

car for under $500?

Buy an old subaru with all wheel drive... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451420517&category=6467 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2450535312&category=6467
Back