Recent content by theorist

1. T

2012 Skyactiv (5dr MT) suffered suspension damage in collision -- time to upgrade

Should I just sell my 2012 skyactiv and buy something more fun? Should I just sell my 2012 skyactiv Mazda3 hatch with a manual transmission and 97Kmiles and buy a newer better handling car? I'm happy to do most repairs myself and comfortable owning older cars, as long as it's not so old that...
  2. T

2012 Skyactiv (5dr MT) suffered suspension damage in collision -- time to upgrade

How can I get a repair shop to negotiate for quality suspension restoration? 3. How would you recommend that I get a collision shop to fully diagnose and negotiate with the insurance company for quality and full repairs of all suspension and mechanical damage? I've had great experience with...
  3. T

What suspension upgrades would you recommend? 2. This seems to be a nice time to upgrade the suspension. What specific upgrades would you recommend? I really miss the amazing, responsive, nimble, balanced handling of my Mazdaspeed Protege. What suspension upgrades would you recommend for...
  4. T

What suspension parts are likely to be damaged and should be replaced? 1. What suspension parts do you think I should definitely replace due to likely damage from the collision described below? Last week I was driving in the snow late at night from Massachusetts to Vermont, admittedly too...
  5. T

I have 4 related questions that I'd love your input on: 1. Any suggestions as to what suspension parts I should replace due to damage described in the second post below, given that a Mazda dealer, 2 mechanics, and 2 bodyshops are uncertain? 2. Any suggestions as to how to use this as an...
  6. T

Increase MPG out of Skyactiv?

That's a very good point of caution about higher psi. I have noticed some decrease in straight line dry traction with higher tire pressures. FWIW, TireRack and CarandDriver (or was it another mag?) documented improved wet traction with slightly increased tire pressure. Initial turn in...
  7. T

Increase MPG out of Skyactiv?

What others said about speed and tire pressure are dead on. About cheap and easy MPG increases from a $50 filter or $100 CAI just think critically: if Mazda could have increased the gas mileage by even 2 mpg by spending another $40 to $90 more on the air filter, wouldn't they have done so...
  8. T

Pre-purchase inspection checklist for a used MazdaSpeed Protege

What would you recommend I have a mechanic do as part of a pre-purchase inspection of a used MazdaSpeed Protege? I'm ready to buy my first used MazdaSpeed Protege. I've found one that seems to be in very good condition, with under 60Kmiles, for $7500, at a local used car dealer. What often...
  9. T

suspension differences between models

I'm shopping for a used Protege. I'd like to know what the suspension differences are between the different more common models, namely DX, LX, LX 2.0, ES, and Protege5. I'm one of those few who highly value excellent fuel efficiency and excellent handling. I'd like the excellent handling of...
Back