Recent content by Pesty

1. P

Think my P5 just died

Was driving home from work today and all of a sudden I started hearing what sounded like a piston head bouncing around inside the engine. I could actually feel the knocking in the gas pedal and shifter. Rod knock has been suggested but I won't know until the shop has a chance to look at it...
  2. P

top speed?

Sorry, wasn't trying to lecture. Just relaying personal experience. The answer to your question is about 135 stock. As for cars being designed to survive accidents at those speeds... I've seen some video of people walking away from some pretty gnarly high speed wrecks in places where those...
  3. P

top speed?

About 5 years ago I hit about 135-140 on a slight down grade (maybe 1-2%). It was a very straight stretch of a very well lit highway at night (Dallas North Tollway) and the roads were void of other cars at the time. As it was dark, I couldnt say exactly how fast I was going, just that it was...
  4. P

TWM Performance short shifter...

I'm using the stock knob on mine. Weighted one may make shifting a touch easier, but I doubt it would be enough to really be a necessity. Once you get use to the shorty, it's fine without the extra weight IMHO.
  5. P

37.17 mpg

I just switched from the 195's to 205's and my mileage went down a lot, but some of that could have been due to the difference in overall diameter of the tire, so hard to say.
  6. P

Rattling after installing SRI

naaa... but I drive like I do, and if the P5 was paid off... I probably would.
  7. P

yea, I kinda figured as much, but I hadn't seen anyone else who was feeling it in the petal. I figured there may be an audible rattle from it rubbing on the MC, but feeling it in the throttle just kinda threw me off. I'll try to track down some self adhesive foam of some sort and see if that...
  8. P

found a pretty decent deal on an e-bay SRI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-MAZDA-PROTEGE-MP5-MP3-SHORT-AIR-INTAKE-KIT_W0QQitemZ8044798034QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Install went smooth, no problems there, so seems like a pretty good find for $35 shipped...
  9. P

Question About Fog Lights

Hmm... so I guess my International Scout II set up with fog lights, driving lights, and a set of off-road floods on the push bar wired in to come on with the high beams wouldn't have gone over well in VA then? God bless Texas, and my condolences to the relatives of anyone foolish enough to...
  10. P

Which short shifter is best?

TWM works just fine for that, I do it all the time. Personally, I love mine, but it took a month or two to get use to (had it for about 9 or so now). Now I have trouble driving anything else. Drove my GF's Corolla this weekend and it took me a good 5 min to re-adjust to my P5. It's a bit...
  11. P

Used Mazda Protege 5 2003

Honestly, I was never that impressed with the factory security system from Mazda. I'd say just replace it with an aftermarket alarm. My personal favorite would be one of the "Responder/Matrix" based systems from DEI (http://www.directed.com/) as they have 2 way remotes which let you know when...
  12. P

I have improved my mileage by adding ACETONE

14.4 is about how much I've been able to put in it with a dry tank. Keep in mind, the "tank" itself may be 13.2, but you gotta figure the fill tube will hold another 1 to 1-1/2 gallons. As for the MPG benefits and how this actually works, in theory it's pretty sound. The acetone decreases the...
  13. P

Just got back from...

No P5 pictures, but I got a gig or so of other pictures from the trip. I think I got a picture of the Ford Focus we were renting somewhere, but I doubt you want that.
  14. P

What do you do for a living?

Support supervisor for one of the largest server hosting companies in the US.
  15. P

Just got back from...

Hawaii, (Kaua'i specifically), and I gotta say, that place is P5 heaven. I saw more P5's there in a week than I saw on the mainland in the last year. Can't think of a more beautiful place to have one either.
Back