Recent content by Mulligan

1. M

Cracked cylinder head (2018 CX-5)

It's good to know my 2018 has a low oil level warning light. A few minutes ago, I verified it by turning the car on without starting it and looking at the array of warning lights that are briefly lit up. There are so many of them and they're on for such a short time I had never noticed it. In...
  2. M

(I wrote the following while offline and before reading Jack Rabbit's post. Turns out, we have similar thoughts.) In my opinion, an extended warranty isn't good enough. I suppose if you're confident your cylinder head will only give out while you're a mile from home on a grocery run and you...
  3. M

Thinking back to the falling rocker arm problem of a few years ago, it's my recollection that there were only a handful of anecdotes (fewer than ten) posted by people who actually had that problem occur on their car. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more anecdotes about cracked cylinder heads...
  4. M

Funky Battery filler caps

They're threaded. The needle nose pliers method of unscrewing them works pretty well.
  5. M

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

An earlier report in a related thread also lists PYY4-10-SJ0 as the replacement cylinder head for a 2018. Per realmazdaparts.com and mazda-parts.com, PYFA-10-100E is the part number of the cylinder head for the 2018 CX-5. When you look up PYY4-10-SJ0 and run the checker to see whether that p/n...
  6. M

2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

I just noticed there's a substantial fin cast into the head over at cylinders 1 and 2 (red arrows). Given its shape, I wonder if its primary purpose is something other than cooling and strengthening, but surely it provides both in the area of cylinder 2 that is symmetrical with the area that...
  7. finAtCyl1-2.png

finAtCyl1-2.png

8. M

2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

What to make of there being only 2mm of material at the location of the crack? I have a couple ideas—barely more than guesses, but informed by a dusting of logic, experience, and common sense, I hope. Guess 1: Mazda used the occasion of revising the cylinder head for CD as an opportunity to...
  9. crackYT-mirrored.png

crackYT-mirrored.png

10. crackYT_russian.png

crackYT_russian.png

11. M

Mazda - Made in Mexico Oil Filters are Faulty

You're right. Oil enters the filter through the six (in this particular filter) large holes in the end plate surrounding the threaded hole. If it were otherwise, a filter with an anti-drainback valve would prevent any oil from leaving the filter, immediately starving the engine of oil and...
  12. M

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

There are a number of reports of cylinder head cracks on NA engines over at the mazdaforum.com site. It's a very long thread with a lot of extraneous commentary, so it's difficult to pin down just how many cases are documented, but it's definitely more than a couple.
  13. M

Check Your Spare Tire Pressure

That's not correct. From the 2018 CX-5 owners manual: "Do not install the temporary spare tire on the front wheels (driving wheels): Driving with the temporary spare tire on one of the front driving wheels is dangerous. Handling will be affected. You could lose control of the vehicle, especially...
  14. M

Has anyone done a DIY oil change on a 2.5T (turbo)?

You're probably aware that the Mazda oil filter for the turbo is not the same as the one for the non-turbo. Even if you know that, it's still easy to end up with the wrong one. In their infinite wisdom, Mazda made the two filters look exactly the same, have the same dimensions and thread size...
Back