Recent content by maxwax

1. M

CX-5 Roof Rails/Rack

Sorry for the very late reply. I sold my Skybox in 2020 and I have no photos to proove that the CX-5 hatch opens with the Skybox attached. I *think* it does.. IF you adjust the skybox to be far forward. The Skybox's internal clamps allow some adjustment that might have been just enough to...
  2. M

CX-5 Roof Rails/Rack

Can't tell you yet.. Last year I bought the crossbars late in the season and expected to go camping a lot but didn't make it out. The only thing that concerns me is how the skybox angles up a bit due to the slope of the CX-5 roof towards the back. So it may act like more of a wing and cause...
  3. M

Recommendations for CX-5 skid plate and other off-road mods?

0) Don't try to turn the CX-5 into a Jeep. It's not a Jeep. It never will be. And if you raise it and put monster tires on it and all sorts of stuff, a lot of the highway/crossover traditional benefits of a CX-5 go away. If you really need that, get a used Jeep. Having said that.. 1) All...
  4. M

CX-5 Roof Rails/Rack

When I bought my CX-5 in 2013, I had my dealer install the side-rails because I didn't want to do that. In 2015, preparing for camping season, I installed the Mazda cross-bars myself. I'm really thrilled that I have never noticed any wind noise associated with them. When I added Yakima...
  5. M

CX-5: How's the AWD do in winter? Is it fun to drive?

I'm completely satisfied with how my CX-5 handled in the snow this last winter. I drove in a variety of conditions including two nights of 8-11" drifts and it was capable and thrilling and I never got stuck. There is no way anyone can arguing anything otherwise to change my real world...
  6. M

CX-5: How's the AWD do in winter? Is it fun to drive?

You should read all my other threads. They're long but I've been writing them to answer these kinds of open ended questions to satisfy poster like you. I drive up and down windy mountain roads almost every day and I know I do it a lot more confidently and have much more fun than when I started...
  7. M

Loved My CX-5 in the Winter Snow! AWD Success! [LONG READ]

Anything can slide into the snow.. Point here being it didn't get out despite all that supposedly superior AWD talent.. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. M

I think you clearly realize why I put a picture of me passing a stuck Subaru in the snow. All those commercials, YouTube videos etc market their cars and their AWD system as if this never happens. Never happens to them because their superior AWD. They are good but so is my CX-5 and I liked this...
  9. M

Not one penny.. [emoji1] I like to write and I'm trying to share the kind of real world, real owner experiences that I was seeking before I bought my CX-5. I used this forum for a lot of my research so I'm trying to pay some folks who wrote in 2013-2014 as well as support the folks who are...
  10. M

> Thanks for the write up. I'd wager that your snow tires had a bigger role to play than awd. And you proved another point by passing or helping other awd motorists, it's all about your tires. I agree. If I had worn down OEM all season tires my winter experience would have been vastly...
  11. M

> If you read your manual, when that light comes on the AWD system is basically screaming for you to ease up. Not something you actually want to replicate. Yep. I read the manual that night because I thought maybe I'd unlocked a bonus features :-) If I recall correctly, it listed three...
  12. M

I've had Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUVs on my CX-5 for two winter's now. They're at 9 32nds of tread left and I hope to get one more, maybe two winters out of them. Reviews for these tires are consistently good, praising them for their features and performance. I'm a big fan of Bridgestone...
  13. M

This is sometimes my commute to work. Hey everybody! February 2015 brought 54.6 inches of snow to the Boulder, CO area and probably a bit more high up in the mountains where I'm currently living. My 2014 AWD CX-5 Touring (2.5L) did EVERYTHING I ASKED IT TO and made me really proud to have...
  14. M

CX-5 Photos - Share your shots with us!

Last Thursday: drove through nine inches of fresh Colorado powder snow.. On the ride back down this remote gravel road I could see the snow flattened by the underside of the CX-5. Driving alone and scared of getting stuck by it did GREAT. Tires are Nokian Hakkapellitas. Sent from my iPad...
  15. M

Think iv decided on nokian winters. What model ??

+1 Hakka R2 SUV Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Back