Recent content by mark2000

1. M

Am I ready?

Ok. I posted it in the general for sale section of this website and Ill see if I get any bites. Thanks for the idea.
  2. M

2003 Mazda Protege5 Auto for parts (Toronto)

Selling whatever parts from my 03 Protege. Interior and dash are all in excellent condition. Engine and transmission only have 165,000 KMs (100 miles I think) At least one tire which is nearly new (size 205 I think). I am located in downtown Toronto, Canada. The car is driveable. Contact me...
  3. M

Am I ready?

Hey all. Its been a stressful week with this car. After chasing around cheap, flaky and unreliable mechanics on kijiji, I have decided that tonight was probably her last drive. The rust on the bottom edges of the car is coming off in clumps. In a new twist, The power steering died on me today...
  4. M

Am I ready?

Next time they hoist the car, what should I look out for underneath to determine whether the rust is just old and noisy vs being a danger risk? The parts, locally, were $360. Rockauto shipping costs were not feasible. Labour, I was told, was about 90 min per axle and 90 for the pan...
  5. M

Am I ready?

Also, if I do get rid of this thing, I was just gonna donate it to a junkyard through charity for a tax receipt. Would anyone on the forum want it for about the same cost, for parts? Tons of good working equipment on this thing that could go to good use instead of to scrap. I am not sure if...
  6. M

It's official

@pcb, Hows the P5 PCB? Im up in Toronto and having had a street parking space outside for 10 years, my car has been besieged by rust. Im facing a $1000 repair bill this week to keep this thing on the road. I hate to part with the protege but it may be time for a new car. Its nice to be able to...
  7. M

Goodbye P5, it was a great run

Sorry to hear you had to go. I think my time may be nigh too. Ten year owner here. It seems this is the year that many P5s are finally seeing their last days :( theres a sentimentality about it, is there not? Were all, at minimum, enthusiasts here, and many are car professionals. And With a...
  8. M

Might be the End of the Line....

What did you decide? Am facing the same issue up here in Canada. Entire underbody is rusted away. Left side rear wheel clunks over every pothole but mechanic has assured me nothing is actually loose. Cosmetically, some of the linkages that support the decorative side trim simply crumbled at...
  9. M

Pesky oil loss

My oil pan has been leaking for about a month now and Im not sure if Im trashing the car yet or repairing. For some reason, despite the pan draining, the dipstick still shows oil level just above the low level on the stick...so theres enough oil to keep the engine running. Does the dipstick get...
  10. M

Guide Permanently fix the "no A/C on fan speed 2/3" problem

I have this issue but its intermittent. Not sure if the following irritating workaround works for anyone else but, usually what I do is, turn the AC off for a few seconds before turning the fan speed knob. Then, turn it back on once you have selected your desired fan speed. A bit of a pain and...
  11. M

Am I ready?

I came on here to post a question as to whether or not I should keep my P5. Interestingly, there are about 3 threads within the last 2 months about people asking or stating the same thing. Is it worth sinking another $1000 (CDN) into this to get it through the winter to fix various routine...
  12. M

Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

Im having this issue but I cant find any pics/photos linked from the thread on how to remove the appropriate dash components out for this. Do I need to pull the radio? I tried pulling out one of the side panels near the floor and ended up cracking one and then realizing the part where the AC...
  13. M

Protege5 Squealing after starting up

Can anyone tell me where the section on tightening the relevant belt is, in the service manual? I cant for the life of me, find what it is listed under in the index. Its not called a serpentine belt officially. I am having the same issue. It was present before, then I had the belt changed...
  14. M

Shift-lock release, how does it work?

Sometimes my auto P5 wont start when its in park. usually I can put the key in, press the brake pedal and shift into neutral and start it. Lately, I have been having trouble shifting from park. How does the shift-lock release work? If I press it, is it like a one-time thing to get me out of a...
  15. M

Steering wheel calibration alignment

Amazing, thanks guys. I didnt realize it was such a drastic issue. Even tho the wheel had play where it connects to then LCA, I thought it was fine because its still physically attached to the car and really shows no signs of actually falling off or anything. Ill probably try to get this fixed...
Back