Recent content by diogenes

1. D

Catalytic converter rattling?

BTW, its a 2006 Mazda5 Touring with about 39,000 miles.
  2. D

Catalytic converter rattling?

I had asked a question earlier about a crackling, crunchy rattle: "When I lift the throttle, as for a gear change (I have an MT), there's a crackle/crunchy sound, kind of like radio static, but it is there whether the radio is on or off. It is most obvious when the engine is cold and at low...
  3. D

Vacuum leak?

I'm beginning to think leaves are the most likely answer, at least to the crunchy, crackly sound on throttle lift. Leaves are coming down fast in my area right now, and the air intake screen below the top edge of the hood gets covered with them. I have cleaned them out several times, and the...
  4. D

Vacuum leak?

Reply to first question -- no, it lasts a few seconds only. Reply to second question -- I'll check and get back to you. Thanks for your help!
  5. D

What are these plugs for?

I advise putting the plugs in the holes -- keeps water out.
  6. D

Vacuum leak?

My 2006 Mazda5 Touring has two sounds from the center of the dash that might be related or might not. First, when I lift the throttle, as for a gear change (I have an MT), there's a crackle/crunchy sound, kind of like radio static, but it is there whether the radio is on or off. It is most...
  7. D

Strut/Shock Options

I had the Koni FSDs installed two weeks ago, and so far my impression is that the ride over bumps is very much like that with the original shocks and struts, but the behavior when cornering, stopping and starting is much improved. The ride height is the same (I stayed with the original springs)...
  8. D

Front Bumper Fasteners

Another thought -- I bet body shops might have a selection of different sizes on hand.
  9. D

Front Bumper Fasteners

I have found these online before at Pointe Products (http://www.pointe-products.com/). They don't cost much, but the shipping adds a lot, so it is probably better if you can find them locally.
  10. D

Strut/Shock Options

I took the plunge and ordered the Koni FSD set. The news is they are coming from Holland (not stocked in the United States, according to the store), and should take four weeks to arrive. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  11. D

Mazda 5 GT Poor Fuel Economy Help!

Our 2006 Mz5 gets driven in the worst-possible way for fuel mileage -- almost all short trips in the city. We sometimes go through a whole tank rarely getting out of third gear. The results: about 18 mpg. When we do get out on the highway for once, mileage soars to as high as 30 mpg. Some...
  12. D

Strut/Shock Options

FYI -- I noticed that Koni is having a 25%-off sale on all its shocks beginning Feb. 1. That makes the FSD set for the Mazda5 just $547.05 at shox.com, for example.
  13. D

Gas mileage fell off a cliff!

I sometimes get poor mileage this time of year when the stations switch to "winter gas" with more alcohol in the mix, which is required to address air quality issues. Alcohol has less energy per volume than gasoline, so mileage suffers. That's good advice above about cleaning the MAF sensor...
  14. D

HELP Stability improvements needed- trying to alleviate car-sick kid issue

There seems to be some research out there that low frequency motion or vibration, particularly in the fore-and-aft plane (not up and down) can cause motion sickness. (Just google "motion sickness frequency".) I think a blown or worn shock or strut, particularly in the back, can make that worse...
  15. D

groaning sway bar bushings??

I finally got my 2006 Mz5 into the dealer on the suspension noise complaint and they ended up doing the service bulletin issues -- sway bar bushings and grinding down weld on right rear spring seat -- plus replacing a leaking right rear shock. Everything seems better now, but of course I don't...
Back