Recent content by BrianM3GS

1. B

Unknown Noise

I realize that this is very old, but... No. At least in Canada, all-Skyactiv didn't start until the new bodystyle for the 2014 model year; in 2012 and 2013 only the GS (or GS-SKY) trim had the Skyactiv-G 2.0, and other engines were the same as the previous years of this generation.
  2. B

Help needed with Exhaust Manifold removal for 2007 Mazda3 S with 2.3 liter engine

concept's right, as usual: read the manual. On the other hand, there may not be any procedure to remove and replace an exhaust manifold with the engine in the car. After all, the manifold is already on the engine when the engine goes in the car. It usually comes off only during an engine...
  3. B

Safe to drive if brakes are making noise?

Brake wear tabs vary by model, equipment, and year - I have not had to change any on my 2012 Mazda 3 GS, but I pulled one side at the front for examination and cleaning, and the pads did not have any tabs... when these start grinding, the pad's braking material is entirely gone and the steel...
  4. B

Looking to improve gear ratio (get lower RPM)

Since the 6th gear of the 6-speed is taller than the 5th gear of the 5-speed, yet engine speed is higher with the 6-speed, the 6-speed must have a shorter (greater reduction ratio) final drive gear set. Perhaps that can be changed, shifting the entire set of gears taller, which should be...
  5. B

Engine Damage from Redlining?

I agree that the engine computer won't let the engine run beyond a safe limit. Also, what she perceived as "strangely loud" was unlikely to be as high as redline, since most people never use most of the available engine speed range or power. With possible first gear and final drive ratios...
  6. B

Confirm my diagnosis

Or just gently stroke the pedal with your hand, rather than jamming it down with your foot like the car is about to drive over a cliff. The purpose is only to flush fluid through with minimal pressure.
  7. B

Looking for Mazda 3 17" rims

The original equipment alloy wheels from various Mazda models will fit correctly... it doesn't need to be a 2014, and doesn't need to be a Mazda3. I suggest checking specific size information, since 17" wheels come in various widths and offsets. If you want an idea of the styles which might be...
  8. B

Motor mount to Timing cover question

I had an engine mount failure in my 2012. It was replaced by the dealer under warranty, but that was a couple of years ago. What year is this car? There are lots of detail differences - including a completely different 2.0 L engine - depending on the year. For any engine, in any model, of any...
  9. B

Question about exhaust for 2017 mazda 3 gt !!!

Even if the 2011-2013 Mazdaspeed 3 (second generation; BL platform based on Ford C1) and the 2015-2017 Mazda 3 (third generation; BM SkyActiv platform) have compatible exhaust manifolds (despite having unrelated engines: Speed3 has 2.3L MZR turbo; BM GT has SKYACTIV-G 2.5), they have different...
  10. B

Fwd?

There are also limitations in some provinces on where they can be used, even in the winter. Studded tires are very effective on ice, but I've driven through winters for four decades without them... or AWD.
  11. B

Squeaking noise from front wheels when slowly going over speed bump.

In my first-generation Ford Focus (the previous version of the same chassis design used by Mazda for the 2010 3) I had a similar squeak. It turned out to be failing joints in the front sway bar end links. This is so common in that Ford part that dealers keep the links in stock... even though...
  12. B

2013 skyactive 6speed shifting question

"Lurch" suggests that your difficult isn't with the actual shift at all, but with re-engaging the clutch. I don't have this difficulty, so all I can suggest is to pay attention to what you are doing with the clutch pedal, rather than thinking it's your shifting
  13. B

MS3 6 speed in 2007 MZ3?

Which 6-speed? There was a 6-speed in the Mazdaspeed 3, which might fit because the engines are related, but the 6-speed SkyActiv transmission (2012-2013 GS and all 2014 and later) probably only easily works with the Skyactiv-G 2.0 engine... just a guess, or a factor to consider.
  14. B

Wait, when am I supposed to have the car serviced again?

The setting which "monitors" the oil probably doesn't monitor it at all, but instead probably considers operating conditions to estimate a suitable interval. Regardless, it seems like a sensible way to ensure changes when needed without changing oil excessively. Why not just let it do its job...
  15. B

05 Mazda 3 Steering knuckle an hub replacment

Sorry to hear about the challenges. I suspect that in many cases this would have been handled by replacing the whole lower arm, but it seems like a waste to replace a component unnecessarily. Thanks for the tips, but I would never consider using a double-hex (12-point) socket with any impact...
Back