Recent content by bowiefan

1. B

2001 Protege center shifter console removal (automatic) - How to?

Cleaning out an old 2001 Protege (automatic), I had a piece of jewelry slip down into the shifter center console - back and behind the cup holders. I was wondering if any forum members knew the disassembly steps to remove the center console/cup holder assembly so I could get underneath and...
  2. B

2001 Protege O2 upstream sensor removal question 1.6L

I've got an upstream O2 sensor connector plug on an 01 Protege 1.6L that doesn't want to release. When removing the O2 sensor plug, do you press down on the clip or pull up on the clip? Any ideas on how to pull the plug apart, it seems really tight and stuck? Thanks for any replies.
  3. B

2001 Protege 1.6L Transmission Fluid Change Question?

I was wanting to change the fluid and strainer out on my 01 Protege w/ Automatic Transmission and wanted to use ramps to do the job. It seems pretty easy and straightforward, dropping the pan and installing a new strainer, gasket and reinstalling the pan. This might seem like a stupid question...
  4. B

2003 Protege Coolant Change question?

When changing coolant on a 2003 Protege 1.6L, how do you drain the radiator and engine block and after doing this how would you get the proper 50/50 mix added back in? Wouldn't residual coolant in the radiator system overdilute the 50/50 mix? Thanks.
  5. B

2001 Protege 1.6L Misfire Question

My 2001 Protege with a 1.6L engine had developed a bad misfire when it's humid or rainy until it warms up, and also when I am backing up in reverse it misfires and stalls even after its warmed up. When it warms up, it runs fine at any speed going forward all day and it idles fine at when it...
  6. B

2001 Protege1.6L Hose Identification?

Thanks! Need to replace that asap!
  7. B

Thanks! I appreciate your reply!
  8. B

On a 2001 Protege with a 1.6L engine, what is the name of the hose that connects from the edge of the drivers side of the valve cover, comes out a couple of inches and then goes back and connects to the air cleaner intake duct hose? If that hose is disconnected or leaky, what issues would that...
  9. B

2001 Protege 1.6L oil leak question

My 01 Protege 1.6L is leaking oil from the cam seals and needs a new timing belt, tensioner - idler kit, cam seals and crank seal but no water pump. Was quoted about $650 parts and labor - tax included. Does that sound fair or seem high priced? Thanks.
  10. B

2001 Protege 1.6L Exhaust Repair question?

My front exhaust pipe on my 2001 Protege 1.6L needs replaced. Guess that means a new downstream o2 sensor as well. What would be a fair price for a mechanic to charge to replace the front pipe with a new downstream o2 sensor and associated clamps and hardware? I don't want to get hosed...
  11. B

2001 Protege Throttle Positition Sensor location question

I was wondering where the throttle position sensor location was on a 2001 Protege with a 1.6L engine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  12. B

2001 Protege 1.6L Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor location?

Would someone know where the MAP sensor is located on a 2001 Protege 1.6L engine? Thanks.
  13. B

NEED HELP: How to remove upstream O2 sensor plastic connector on a 2001 Protege 1.6L?

Does anyone have any idea how to disconnect the upstream O2 sensor plastic connector on a 2001 Protege with a 1.6 L engine? It has a small clip that pulls up but the connector doesn't seem to want to pull free. It has to be something simple. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Back