What did you pay for your CX-5?

Tomorrow is the last day of Q1 2021. If the dealers are under pressure to complete their quota, you can snag a good deal. I just got some hints from the dealership I bought.

If you are in IL or MO, try contacting "Moe Daoud" from "Lou Fusz Mazda" (You can say "sraghava" referred you ) . You might end up getting 15% off MSRP. I do regret not taking a gamble to try my luck on the last day of the quarter. At worst, it could have been the same, if not better.

Purchased a new 2021 CX-5 GT yesterday 3/30/21 in Massachusetts. MSRP $33,360. Negotiated price $29,300 - roughly 12.25% discount. I do believe end of the month was a factor and as previous Mazda owner, $750 loyalty rebate did apply. Also dealer had quite a few CX-5’s on the lot. Research site “yourautoadvocate.com” indicated this car was on the dealer lot for almost 60 days. I was the first to drive it. I think it’s probably an unpopular color combination, Deep Crystal Blue Mica Exterior, Parchment interior. I think the light interior is beautiful, but I assume most people want a darker interior that will hide dirt better, IMO. Overall, I’m happy with my deal.

Purchased a new 2021 CX-5 GT yesterday 3/30/21 in Massachusetts. MSRP $33,360. Negotiated price $29,300 - roughly 12.25% discount. I do believe end of the month was a factor and as previous Mazda owner, $750 loyalty rebate did apply. Also dealer had quite a few CX-5’s on the lot. Research site “yourautoadvocate.com” indicated this car was on the dealer lot for almost 60 days. I was the first to drive it. I think it’s probably an unpopular color combination, Deep Crystal Blue Mica Exterior, Parchment interior. I think the light interior is beautiful, but I assume most people want a darker interior that will hide dirt better, IMO. Overall, I’m happy with my deal.
Congrats! 29,300 after -$750, including all of the dealer fees? Seems like the same deal I got last month. Did you negotiate or is that what they offered? Love the interior! Enjoy.

Congrats! 29,300 after -$750? Seems like the same deal I got last month. Did you negotiate or is that what they offered? Love the interior! Enjoy.
Thank you. Yes, $29,300 after the $750. They advertised the car as a “special” at just under $32,000. I negotiated with the Internet Salesperson before going in. Negotiated a little more once there. Same color combo as my 2014 CX-5. Creature of habit. Also a neat freak, and managed to keep that one relatively clean :)

Thank you. Yes, $29,300 after the $750. They advertised the car as a “special” at just under $32,000. I negotiated with the Internet Salesperson before going in. Negotiated a little more once there. Same color combo as my 2014 CX-5. Creature of habit. Also a neat freak, and managed to keep that one relatively clean :)
Pretty similar in my case. Dealers in my area advertised online prices about $1,600 off of the MSRP, then they added dealer doc fees which were around $300-$500. Some offered a bigger discount then added it back on in fees.

Did you pay any other fees on top of the 29,300, not counting DMV fees?

Congrats ! Thats a good deal to get to 12.2% off MSRP

I feel like I did a not great job negotiating, but what do you guys think, it was kind of spur of the moment so I'm not fully prepared, I pretty much all but walked away yesterday.

2021 CX-5 GTR
Soul Red Crystal Metallic paint
MSRP: $36,980

Negotiated Price: $33,850 with 0% financing for 48 months

Doc Fee: $303.60
Tax: 1,921.45
Government Fee: $516.00
Total: 36,591.05

I'm in southern Wisconsin, and this is a dealer in Chicago.

Last edited:
I feel like I did a not great job negotiating, but what do you guys think, it was kind of spur of the moment so I'm not fully prepared, I pretty much all but walked away yesterday.

2021 CX-5 GTR
Soul Red Crystal Metallic paint

Negotiated Price: $33,850 with 0% financing for 48 months

Doc Fee: $303.60
Tax: 1,921.45
Government Fee: $516.00
Total: 36,591.05

I'm in southern Wisconsin, and this is a dealer in Chicago.
What's the MSRP? Window Sticker?

Gov fee is something you have to pay your state?

I mean if you just walked in there without any info seems like you just took what they offered you?

What's the MSRP? Window Sticker?

Gov fee is something you have to pay your state?
MSRP is $36,980, so roughly 8% off.

I asked about the gov fee, they explained it was for title and plates... which I thought the doc fee was already for?? Smelled like BS to me which started to turn me off.

Pretty similar in my case. Dealers in my area advertised online prices about $1,600 off of the MSRP, then they added dealer doc fees which were around $300-$500. Some offered a bigger discount then added it back on in fees.

Did you pay any other fees on top of the 29,300, not counting DMV fees?
Sorry for confusion. Net sale price of $29,300 was before taxes and fees. Mass sales tax (6.25%) was additional $1,855.56. Mass title, registration and inspection another $165. And dealer doc/admin fees $389. So, out-the-door price = $32,710. But taxes and fees would have been the same regardless of any car purchased and pretty much non-negotiable unless they offset that cost by taking away a discount somewhere else. If I had traded my old car, Mass only charges sales tax on the net sales price, after trade. I could have potentially saved $500-$600 in taxes. But I expect to get $2,000 more than dealer offered by selling my old car privately. Hope to wrap up private sale in next few days.

MSRP is $36,980, so roughly 8% off.

I asked about the gov fee, they explained it was for title and plates... which I thought the doc fee was already for?? Smelled like BS to me which started to turn me off.
Yea they try to confuse you with the fees. I had offers all over the place, some with high discounts then high fees to offset the discount. Give with one hand and take with the other. I kept track of the actual OTD offer, before DMV fee and taxes. It was the only way to gauge what deal I was getting.

Did you end up buying or just shopping around?

Yea they try to confuse you with the fees. I had offers all over the place, some with high discounts then high fees to offset the discount. Give with one hand and take with the other. I kept track of the actual OTD offer, before DMV fee and taxes. It was the only way to gauge what deal I was getting.

Did you end up buying or just shopping around?
Going to keep shopping around, I think. I will be seriously looking in fall, probably towards the end of Q3. Reading this forum has been really helpful in planning out timing. I'll wait for the 2021s to start getting marked down further, as I doubt 2022 will bring any meaningful changes. The 0% financing peaked my interest at the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes another appearance toward the end of the year if sales are slow.

If they come back and offer me a screaming deal today (something under $33K/11ish % off) then I might do it. I'm in no hurry, mainly want it in time for winter when I have to put my "fun car" away and switch to my FWD Honda, which this is replacing.

FWIW a dealer in Milwaukee made an initial offer of $33,700 this morning for the exact same spec'd car in their inventory, but they are only doing the .9% financing national special. Meh. Pass.

I've mentioned this before, when comparing prices you want to include all fees (including doc, office admin, market adjustments, added pin striping, paint shield - everything) before before tax, state, tag, transfer, anything that doesn't go the the government or regulating bodies. It doesn't matter how they dice the numbers, fees/discounts. You want everything that comes to the total sales price.

see my post #6353. See total taxable amount PLUS the DOC fee on my 2020 Signature. THAT's what we should be comparing. My car had cargo covered installed, but it doesn't matter as my sales price is on the top line

I kept track of the actual OTD offer, before DMV fee and taxes.
OTD before TT&L is an oxymoron which is why people are getting confused or asking "was that before or after taxes" OTD is an obfuscation that dealer use to hide fees, just use total before TT&L to compare prices

OTD before TT&L is an oxymoron which is why people are getting confused or asking "was that before or after taxes" OTD is an obfuscation that dealer use to hide fees, just use total before TT&L to compare prices

OK, TOTAL before TTL.

We need to stop referring to % off of MSRP too. Discount off of MSRP doesn't mean anything if there is a fee tacked on to offset it.

As long as we're referring to total price before taxes, I'm okay with including dealer fees in the calculation and still using MSRP as a basis for %off MSRP. For example, if they take a $30,000 car, discount it to $15,000, then add $10,000 in fees. That's the same as taking a $30,000 car and discounting it $5,000 with no fees. - same $25,000 car.

$17,495 - 2016 GT 29k Miles CPO
+ $569 Doc prep, inspection sticker, registration, title
+ $1,118 - 6.25% MA Tax

Last edited:
Went with a friend, how did it turn out? I'm clueless about this, don't hold back. CX-5 Touring with PP AWD: Do not know the breakdown because I saw the beginning, not the end. 3 other dealers around us turned him down and stopped conversations. Sorry for the out the door price, I just haven't seen a breakdown and am basing my opinion on too many dealerships around here stopping thousands before this.

MSRP: 31,150
OTD price 27,500
Included in that OTD is Military and Loyalty - 1250

I think the taxes and tags in the otd price broke down to something like this based on an earlier quote:

Processing fee 500
Tax 1200.00
Non tax fees 170

He waffled on getting GT instead of touring - I am curious if anyone thinks that would have been worth it and how much more would have made it worth it.

As long as we're referring to total price before taxes, I'm okay with including dealer fees in the calculation and still using MSRP as a basis for %off MSRP. For example, if they take a $30,000 car, discount it to $15,000, then add $10,000 in fees. That's the same as taking a $30,000 car and discounting it $5,000 with no fees. - same $25,000 car.
Right, MSRP is the base but the selling price should include the dealer's fees. I see some people calculate using the "dealer discount" and not add on the dealer fees.

Thank you. Yes, $29,300 after the $750. They advertised the car as a “special” at just under $32,000. I negotiated with the Internet Salesperson before going in. :)
Good note to all. Dealers would be thrilled to sell every car at their "special" price. Please all, you can usually negotiate lower. Noted exception are things like the Auto Nation no haggle policy on their used cars - which I have always found fairly priced. Don't know how they work the new car sales

Back