WAZE Question

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Does WAZE use the GPS of your cell phone or the car's GPS? I assume the former.

Does WAZE use the GPS of your cel phone or the car's GPS? I assume the former.
My understanding is that if you use CarPlay or Android Auto, and your car has Nav/SD card, the Car’s GPS is used. The built in antenna is much better than on a cellphone, providing much improved satellite reception.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that if you use CarPlay or Android Auto, and your car has Nav/SD card, the Car’s GPS is used. The built in antenna is much better than on a cellphone, providing much improved satellite reception.
No, it's one or the other, so AA and CP use your phone. I just wish AA would display guidance to the HUD, like some other manufactures.

Upvote 0
Yes. At least on my 2018 CX5 Android auto uses the phone gps. Same for waze.
If location is not turned on at the phone, aa maps dont show the location. It also needs mobile data I think. Also I do like the satellite imaging. Pretty cool that it shows it.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that for Android Auto, Google Maps can use the car's GPS antenna in addition to phone GPS and location services and Waze will only use the phone GPS.

Anecdotally, I work for a major automotive supplier the produces infotainment systems and I recall an engineer mentioning that Google Maps connected to your car was much more accurate because it could use your car's GPS, steering inputs, and speed instead of just the phone's antenna. I'm not in the infotainment division, so I don't have any more knowledge on the subject.

Upvote 0
most likely that AA statement is the excuse to get access/allowed to the obd car data from the manufacturer(s). In order to sniff out your car private details , like odometer, speed, gear and other stuff which they shouldnt etc. :)

Upvote 0
My understanding is that for Android Auto, Google Maps can use the car's GPS antenna in addition to phone GPS and location services and Waze will only use the phone GPS.

Anecdotally, I work for a major automotive supplier the produces infotainment systems and I recall an engineer mentioning that Google Maps connected to your car was much more accurate because it could use your car's GPS, steering inputs, and speed instead of just the phone's antenna. I'm not in the infotainment division, so I don't have any more knowledge on the subject.
Wow, didn't realize this. Just looked on Waze's website, and you're right. As Waze is owned by Google, that makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0
Back