Where is the knock sensor on a SkyActiv 2.5L engine?

CombatSailor

2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.5, 150k miles
Looking for where the knock sensor is on a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with a 2.5l engine. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Finally got around to doing it. It's definitely under the intake. You have to pull the throttle body, intake, and I would recommend the radiator overflow (makes getting the intake out a ton easier).

Attached is a picture just because I never could find a picture.

20210225_155459.jpg
There is an actual knock sensor. Mine is throwing a P0327 code. Everything I found shows a faulty sensor, local parts store carries it for the same price as rockauto, I just don't know where it is. Based off other cars I suspect it's under the intake but would prefer to know before tearing into it.

Upvote 0
Look in the CX-5 service manual. That said, I think I saw it once ( a very long time ago) on the firewall side of the engine block near the oil filter housing.

Upvote 0
yes, usually they are on the engine block at the front.
see if this helps. its from the gen1 manual but probably same on all.

ac5uuw00000085.gif

am3uuw00007245.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... Based off other cars I suspect it's under the intake but would prefer to know before tearing into it.
Yep, the intake manifold needs to be removed in order to gain access to the sensor. I recommend examining the connector/wiring and testing with a multimeter before hanging on the new part and reinstalling the manifold.

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure on this engine but on others I know for certain it's usually somewhere right under the intake manifold

Upvote 0
Pay attention to the degree it is mounted. You will need to install it the same orientation. The pic above from cz5gt shows it somewhere between that 90° swing arc but just take note of where it was and install the same angle

Upvote 0
I cleaned everything before I put it back together. The car has 120k on it. I ended up doing spark plugs as well
How bad on deposit the intake valves were? Any pictures to share? Is there much oil in your intake? At 120K miles, it’s time to change engine coolant too, especially you’d removed overflow coolant tank.

Upvote 0
It wasn't terrible but it was needed. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures of it. I was more concerned with the knock sensor location. The Throttle body had some carbon build up as well. Slight oil in the intake. My biggest surprise was how hard it was to get intake and throttle body gaskets. Mazda wanted 100+ for them, rockauto was $7. But it was a 2 week wait for them. In retrospect I could have reused the old but didn't want to risk tearing one without having it on hand.

Upvote 0
It wasn't terrible but it was needed. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures of it. I was more concerned with the knock sensor location. The Throttle body had some carbon build up as well. Slight oil in the intake. My biggest surprise was how hard it was to get intake and throttle body gaskets. Mazda wanted 100+ for them, rockauto was $7. But it was a 2 week wait for them. In retrospect I could have reused the old but didn't want to risk tearing one without having it on hand.
Did you tear one or did they come off intact?

Upvote 0
Everyone came off completely intact. Throttle body I would say you have little concern tearing. The intake comes out from a tight spot. Not terrible but definitely needed more care in removal

Upvote 0
I assume you got an OEM knock sensor, how much is it? Have you eliminated the P0327 code after the new knock sensor?

Wonder why there’s such huge difference on price between OEM and aftermarket for intake and throttle body gaskets?

Upvote 0
I actually used an aftermarket $30 knock sensor off of rockauto.com along with gaskets. No idea what the difference in the gaskets was as the aftermarket worked just fine. The error code cleared itself as soon as I started the car. I didn't have to put a code reader on it to clear it.

Upvote 0
Maybe the price was for the intake manifold itself, that's too much for only a gasket. I paid about $30 for a genuine mazda valve cover gasket.

Upvote 0
Back