Recommendation for choosing used CX-5 year and model

Hi there I'm looking to get a used AWD SUV and a CX-5 seems like a great option. I have narrowed the choices down to a few options and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

For 18-20k it seems I can get a CPO around 15k miles of the following:

2017: Touring
2018: Sport
2019: Sport

Or for around 22k a 2018 Touring.

From what I was reading a lot of people prefer the 2017 touring instead of the 2018 Sport and I saw cars.usnews called the 2019 model way more unreliable than the others. Appreciate the help.

Hrmm personally I would go newer make model year in low miles.

This might be a helpful read:

'Reliability and owner satisfaction ratings from Consumer Reports were both solid for 2017 through 2019 model years. Model year 2017 had fours for both, while 2018 and 2019 received five out of five for reliability and four out of five for owner satisfaction. Looking in detail at the 2019 model year, Consumer Reports ranked the CX-5 number two of four in reliability among 2019 SUVs, including the Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV4, and Subaru Forester."

I didn't find the US news unreliable article for unreliable 2019, so if you have that handy could be insightful. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mazda/cx-5/2019

JD Powers seems to rank it (Mazda CX-5 2019) highly across the board including reliability.
-you can flip through the different trims

For the 2019 the usage is now about 2.5 years of data (they get released late 2018) and I havent seen a flood of complaints, severe drivetrain recalls, or just outright failures. I think you would be fine in a 2019 that fits your budget and desire for features.

Upvote 0
Hrmm personally I would go newer make model year in low miles.

This might be a helpful read:

'Reliability and owner satisfaction ratings from Consumer Reports were both solid for 2017 through 2019 model years. Model year 2017 had fours for both, while 2018 and 2019 received five out of five for reliability and four out of five for owner satisfaction. Looking in detail at the 2019 model year, Consumer Reports ranked the CX-5 number two of four in reliability among 2019 SUVs, including the Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV4, and Subaru Forester."

I didn't find the US news unreliable article for unreliable 2019, so if you have that handy could be insightful. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mazda/cx-5/2019

JD Powers seems to rank it (Mazda CX-5 2019) highly across the board including reliability.
-you can flip through the different trims

For the 2019 the usage is now about 2.5 years of data (they get released late 2018) and I havent seen a flood of complaints, severe drivetrain recalls, or just outright failures. I think you would be fine in a 2019 that fits your budget and desire for features.
Hmm okay thank you man.

That's where I saw it got a 2.5 which is below average.

Upvote 0
Hmm okay thank you man.

That's where I saw it got a 2.5 which is below average.

yeah I'm a bit confused as that site says based on JD Powers rating...
1613156621504.png

But when I actually go directly to JD POwers for 2019 gives it 81 / 100 Great rating

Upvote 0
I wouldn't trust anything US News puts out. I don't believe they're even a US publication anymore.

As far as the 19's go, this owner has not had one quality related problem.

Upvote 0
Because you mentioned those 2 trim levels, I would recommend going to a Mazda dealer and sit in both types of seats - the dimensions are the same, but the design is different.

Carcomplaints.com takes anecdotal reports from owners, which is another data point. Mazda sells hundreds of thousands of CX-5s per year. In general the 2nd gen CX-5 has a very good reliability record per Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was in the same spot as you last week. Started off shopping for a used CX-5 to save money but ended up buying a new 2021 instead.

Was originally considering a 23k miles 2018 GT + premium package for $25400 OTD from shift. After some research I realized I could get the 2021 Touring + PP for about $3-$4k more and that was worth it for me for the brand new car and redesigned infotainment system in the 2021 model.

Few considerations:
1. I got additional $750 off from Mazda loyalty discount buying new that made buying new an even better choice for me

2. If you're financing you will get better APR buying new (I think there are 0% apr for 2020, and 0.9% for 2021 specials going on. For my quote, special financing was not valid so I did self financing and got 2.29%, but it was still less than the 3-4% prequal estimates I got for purchasing used). You should do the math to see how much you could on interest buying new and see if it makes sense for you.

3. check your dealers and get quotes, they might be running specials on 2020 models to get rid of old stock. One dealer was listing $5000 off msrp on a 2020 GT (cash price). I know for sure Mazda has a $1500 cash incentive for 2020 models.l going on right now. Check the "how much you paid for your cx-5x" thread, but rough ballpark I think you can aim for up to 15% off msrp on 2020 models and 10-12% off msrp on 2021 models right now. Accounting for everything, a new 2020 might only cost you a couple thousand more than used.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Since 2017 the "bones" of the CX-5 hasn't changed much. Of course there are different bells and whistles if that is what you are into. And of course the addition of the turbo comes along.

Upvote 0
I would avoid the models with cylinder deactivation. 2017?
There are no statistics that place the 2017 as any more or less reliable then the 2018+’s.

We have a 2018 and 2019 in our family, 70k combined miles and nothing other then oil changes/filters and tire rotations. Rock solid reliability.

Upvote 0
Hi there I'm looking to get a used AWD SUV and a CX-5 seems like a great option. I have narrowed the choices down to a few options and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

For 18-20k it seems I can get a CPO around 15k miles of the following:

2017: Touring
2018: Sport
2019: Sport

Or for around 22k a 2018 Touring.

From what I was reading a lot of people prefer the 2017 touring instead of the 2018 Sport and I saw cars.usnews called the 2019 model way more unreliable than the others. Appreciate the help.
If you’re going to keep your CX-5 for long term, get the CX-5 without cylinder deactivation. This means those 2.5L in 2017 CX-5 and prior.

I personally would get a brand new vehicle as a used car usually has too many unknowns. But for a used CX-5 I’d be looking for 2016.5 MY. It’s the last model year which has most glitches and problems on gen-1 fixed. And the price is lower. For gen-2 2017 MY the only concern I have is it’s the first year with major revisions on CX-5, there’re too many new designs such as front suspension and engine mounts which has been getting many TSBs. The 2.5L itself in 2017 is fine as it’s the carry-over from prior CX-5’s.

The complaints on seat comfort towards gen-1 CX-5 are less than gen-2 CX-5 too.

Upvote 0
I have a '17 GT. Love it. Zero problem. Solid ride. No rattling. Quiet...
Cannot say the same about '14 Mazda3 and '16 Mazda6.
Both are much noisier ..., though also 0 issue.
(if we don't consider MID software bugs as *issues*).

'17 model does not have CD (cylinder deactivation).

Upvote 0
So no-no for the 2.5L NA w/ CD? Too bad I'd have no other good option, as unfortunately, it's the only one available from where I am (aside from the 2.0L lowest/base variant and 2.2L Diesel). Was almost decided on this, as all stock of 2.0L Sport Variant was wiped out so fast, which has all features as the 2.5L NA here except for the 19" rims and Sunroof and engine obviously.

@ezchen25, your 2021 Touring is the 2.5 NA w/ CD, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 1
So no-no for the 2.5L NA w/ CD? Too bad I'd have no other good option, as unfortunately, it's the only one available from where I am (aside from the 2.0L lowest/base variant and 2.2L Diesel). Was almost decided on this, as all stock of 2.0L Sport Variant was wiped out so fast, which has all features as the 2.5L NA here except for the 19" rims and Sunroof and engine obviously.

@ezchen25, your 2021 Touring is the 2.5 NA w/ CD, right?
Do not listen to those who tell you to avoid the 2018 and newer Cx5’s.
They are giving you POOR AND MISLEADING ADVICE. Period.
In fact the CX5 reliability has been outstanding through all the Gen2 model years.

Just look around......do you see thread after thread about blown engines? Nope.

This anti CD discrimination needs to end once and for all. All this small vocal minority is doing is trashing on the best selling model Mazda makes and continues to produce with the 2.5L.

Once again, my family has 2 of these a 2018 and 2019, 70k combined mileage and 0 issues.

Upvote 0
Opinions are subjective.
OP can choose what to believe.

'14 Mazda3
'16 Mazda6
'17 CX5
0 issue.

I am a loyal Mazda owner. I am not on a mission to trash Mazda. :)

Upvote 0
Back