Battery life for key fob...How long does yours last?

⋯ I did NOT test the fob prior to disassembly, as I didn't want electricity from the battery going who knows where inside.
Yes, this’s the key. All electronic components are supposed to be “water-proof” and won’t get damaged only by water. But the short circuit with electricity current will.

Are the FOBs certified for HE washers? Also I may try getting mine Dry Cleaned with extra starch! sorry..had to,,,but great job Ladd with the recovery!
Hah! Good one.

I see that I left out the word "accidentally" in my brief story. :)

Yes, this’s the key. All electronic components are supposed to be “water-proof” and won’t get damaged only by water. But the short circuit with electricity current will.
There is a silicone gasket around an inside perimeter; perhaps that helped protect the circuit board.

I purchased a new CX5 2/2019. Recently, I've been getting a message when I park that I have a low battery in my key fob...Is this normal for everyone else?

It seems a bit fast compared to my last car...I do sometimes leave my keys in my car overnight in the garage and I wonder if that is contributing to the drain..

Also does anyone know which battery the 2019 CX5 key takes?
Thank you
I have a CX5 2017, my key fob takes DL/CR 2025...DL stands for Duracell... you can always Google it to make sure, i did

owners manual states replace yearly...batteries are like $2.50 and easy replacement. keep a few around...it no big deal...the duracell possibly could last year a half.... but hey...not sure if there is a drain.. it more about proximity and use....

4 years... 4. 4. Y'all are crazy replacing them before they need to be. "It's only 2 dollars" I don't give AF if it's free. hahaha
It's not like they don't give you a warning that the battery is dying.
/Looks around the forum for people who got locked out of their cars because the battery remote died suddenly.... none?!?!? Hmmm.
And I still haven't replaced the batteries in my remote start fobs. From Nov 2016.
Maybe I just got lucky with freakishly strong batteries.

I bought my CX 5 in May 2019. I got a low key battery warning a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the battery in the fob that I use daily and put a spare new battery in the drawer with my extra fob. The battery package says it has a shelf life until 2028 so the extra battery should be good insurance for a while.

Last edited:
And I still haven't replaced the batteries in my remote start fobs. From Nov 2016.

I have never had to replace fob batteries this quick. Both fobs have given low battery warnings on our 2019 and batteries have been replaced. There appears to be something different going on with recent model years, as I have seen several posters mentioning battery life of around 18 months. That, or they changed the notification requirements. I'll remember to check the voltage of the battery next time it gives the warning.

4 years... 4. 4. Y'all are crazy replacing them before they need to be. "It's only 2 dollars" I don't give AF if it's free. hahaha
It's not like they don't give you a warning that the battery is dying.
/Looks around the forum for people who got locked out of their cars because the battery remote died suddenly.... none?!?!? Hmmm.
Like you I usually would wait for the “Key fob battery low” message and replace the battery. But my key fob didn’t give me any warnings this time and the only symptom is I can’t unlock the door the first thing in the morning. The Panasonic CR2025 battery in the key fob was installed on 2/23/2016, and it had lasted for almost 5 years. A new Panasonic CR2025 resolved the issue. The current CR2025 in wife’s key fob was installed on 9/3/2018, there’s no message displayed yet. And her key fob has no trouble to unlock the door so far, and she is the main driver for our 2016 CX-5.

Anyone else having trouble unlocking their CX-5 with the fob?

Last edited:
Just replaced my fob battery 2 weeks ago. Last time I replaced it was back in 2018.

Just to update this thread. I bought a replacement battery, but never replaced it yet. I still get the message sometimes but the fob is still working strong over a year later! I don't leave the fob in my car anymore... Does the fob recharge the battery at all? Just strange.

Just to update this thread. I bought a replacement battery, but never replaced it yet. I still get the message sometimes but the fob is still working strong over a year later! I don't leave the fob in my car anymore... Does the fob recharge the battery at all? Just strange.
Like some have said, the system will give us plenty of warning before the battery actually goes dead. For primary key fob, we’ll see “Key fob battery low” message in about 2 years of usage on a new CR2025 battery. My (secondary) key fob started to see the message several times last year but I kept using it and the message had since stopped. I eventually replaced the battery January this year only because the fob started having trouble to unlock the door the first thing in the morning but still no message displayed.

No, CR2025 lithium battery can’t be re-charged in any way.

⋯ The current CR2025 in wife’s key fob was installed on 9/3/2018, there’s no message displayed yet. And her key fob has no trouble to unlock the door so far, and she is the main driver for our 2016 CX-5.
Wife started to complain recently that she’s having trouble to unlock the door, but she didn’t see any “Key fob battery low” message displayed, nor was having trouble to start the engine. So I put a new Panasonic CR2025 in her key fob last week (6/24/2021) and the problem solved.

Don’t know why there’s no more “Key fob battery low” message displayed for both of our key fobs in low battery situation.

I never saw any low battery warning, but around three years old it would n't respond reliability at a distance. A new battery fixed that.

Battery warning will appear in the dash...Easy to replace...Manual (2019) states replace one a year to be proactive.

Don’t know why there’s no more “Key fob battery low” message displayed for both of our key fobs in low battery situation.
There surely is. You're had probably not gotten to the trigger point yet. More proof that the car gives you PLENTY of advance warning.
We know how these products work. OF COURSE these cars are going to give you WEEKS worth of notices. Mazda needs to protect itself from the morons who might just keep ignoring that for a few months, then find themselves unable to get into the car... then complaining or even suing.

I reported last year that my wife's fob battery needed replacement at about 18 months. Mine has been giving me the low battery message for about a year now. I'm purposely ignoring it just to see how far it will go. Worst case, I have to hold the fob up to the button to get home. :)

There surely is. You're had probably not gotten to the trigger point yet. More proof that the car gives you PLENTY of advance warning.
We know how these products work. OF COURSE these cars are going to give you WEEKS worth of notices. Mazda needs to protect itself from the morons who might just keep ignoring that for a few months, then find themselves unable to get into the car... then complaining or even suing.
No, my situation was I did see “Key fob battery low” message displayed for my key fob from time to time for a while, then had never seen the message anymore. I replaced the key fob battery when I had trouble to unlock the door the first thing in the morning, but again no message displayed.

Wife’s key fob was doing the same. No message displayed, only was having trouble to unlock the door in the morning.

Back