Carbon deposits in the intake shutter valve (CX-5)

On 11th January 2021, my 2012 Mazda Grand Touring CX-5 broke down whilst driving at speed along a freeway. All symptoms are the same as the October 2019 recall (https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...my2014-2016-mazda6-and-mazda-cx-5-my2012-2018).

It was towed to a Mazda dealership where it has now been for approaching 3 weeks, with no clear date when it can/will be repaired. We have been told there is carbon build up in the intake shutter valve - the same as the recall. And we were told the required part has been on back-order and wouldn't be in for weeks.

However, all the posts I can find on this say that Mazda has been helpful to resolve the issue. This hasn't been the case for us. Furthermore, Mazda has reviewed our case, and they are only offering to pay for parts which is about $51, but the labour cost is about $600 I've been told. I had Mazda review the case a second time, and they are sticking to their stance because the car is 8 yrs old.

Mazda Australia has told me:
- They won't provide any details which can be used to confirm whether this is related to the recall, and wont provide any further information about the recall.
- They won't tell me what has caused the failure.
- They won't tell me if I may/will experience this failure again in the near future after the repair.
- They won't tell me whether this is a common problem.
- They are pushing me back towards the dealership to understand the technical details about the fault.
- They confirmed they have a public media team, but I cannot speak with them. They are purely there to manage company brand once a complaint has hit the news cycle.

Just generally unhelpful! And their review process took 2 weeks, with broken promises to call me back. I had to continue to chase them, and still had no positive outcome.

I am really upset by this, and I am considering my options to pursue this further. Has anybody been through this with Mazda or had this issue? Does anybody have any advice before I escalate this outside of Mazda?

Thanks for any advice given.

Sorry to hear your car broke down. I assume yours is the 2.2 diesel. How many miles do you have on it now? Has it been trouble free up to this point?

I took a look at the linked recall notice. Seems like if the problem that your car is experiencing is the same as the recall that the repairs would be covered.

To me personally, a $650 repair on a 8+ year old car isn't unreasonable even if you have to pay for it yourself. It is a machine and things wear out. I imagine the problem isn't the cost but rather because of the recall you feel that Mazda should take care of it. Which I agree (if the problem is indeed the same).

Sorry to hear your car broke down. I assume yours is the 2.2 diesel. How many miles do you have on it now? Has it been trouble free up to this point?

I took a look at the linked recall notice. Seems like if the problem that your car is experiencing is the same as the recall that the repairs would be covered.

To me personally, a $650 repair on a 8+ year old car isn't unreasonable even if you have to pay for it yourself. It is a machine and things wear out. I imagine the problem isn't the cost but rather because of the recall you feel that Mazda should take care of it. Which I agree (if the problem is indeed the same).
The car has had several other faults, some significant. For example, Mazda replaced the engine a few years back under warranty because of a different fault. It has done about 138k kms (or approx 85k miles). I wouldn't expect this from a perfectly serviced car - we have had Mazda service this car at every service interal regardless of low kms between services.

I agree that $650 isn't a massive cost, however, I'm getting a bad customer experience when I ask questions, and there is no transparency around whether it's the same problem as the recall. Even though the recall was completed - it clearly hasn't solved the fault.

On 11th January 2021, my 2012 Mazda Grand Touring CX-5 broke down whilst driving at speed along a freeway. All symptoms are the same as the October 2019 recall (https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...my2014-2016-mazda6-and-mazda-cx-5-my2012-2018).

It was towed to a Mazda dealership where it has now been for approaching 3 weeks, with no clear date when it can/will be repaired. We have been told there is carbon build up in the intake shutter valve - the same as the recall. And we were told the required part has been on back-order and wouldn't be in for weeks.

However, all the posts I can find on this say that Mazda has been helpful to resolve the issue. This hasn't been the case for us. Furthermore, Mazda has reviewed our case, and they are only offering to pay for parts which is about $51, but the labour cost is about $600 I've been told. I had Mazda review the case a second time, and they are sticking to their stance because the car is 8 yrs old.

Mazda Australia has told me:
- They won't provide any details which can be used to confirm whether this is related to the recall, and wont provide any further information about the recall.
- They won't tell me what has caused the failure.
- They won't tell me if I may/will experience this failure again in the near future after the repair.
- They won't tell me whether this is a common problem.
- They are pushing me back towards the dealership to understand the technical details about the fault.
- They confirmed they have a public media team, but I cannot speak with them. They are purely there to manage company brand once a complaint has hit the news cycle.

Just generally unhelpful! And their review process took 2 weeks, with broken promises to call me back. I had to continue to chase them, and still had no positive outcome.

I am really upset by this, and I am considering my options to pursue this further. Has anybody been through this with Mazda or had this issue? Does anybody have any advice before I escalate this outside of Mazda?

Thanks for any advice given.
Like I commented in another thread, Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel has been having series of major problems in recent years. In fact, Mazda Taiwan has stopped importing all popular diesel models after the government had forced them to carry life-time warranty on the engine. Other than the oil dilution issue, sudden over-heating without any warnings which would cause blown head-gasket is another major problem going on. If I could, I’d dump the 2.2L diesel as soon as possible if I had one.

Your current problem, carbon deposits in intake shutter valve, seems to be an easy enough problem to fix based on the description from the recall. In US, car manufacture will need to fix a recall problem for free without mileage or time limitations. But I’d worried about more severe issues on 2.2L diesel which requires engine replacement. Sudden over-heating would be my major concern, as it happens so many times worldwide including Australia. It comes with no warnings, you simply can’t prevent it. And the result is catastrophic, a new engine is required for the blown head gasket.

Here’re few complaints from Australia on 2.2L diesel:
All, I dropped my CX-5 diesel. It was 7 years old and I had enjoyed the response from the punchy engine. However, it kept getting engine oil light errors (120,000km travelled) and Mazda Australia offered to replace the short block for free- seems this is a fault with the diesels - at least the vintage I had - but this was 9/11 2020 believe it or not and the middle of COVID breakout in Victoria, Australia plus Mazda had no short blocks until maybe Xmas. We decided to upgrade to a CX-8 petrol which has not long come out in Oz, and love it. Yes, it's way short on the torquey punch of the CX-5 but we aren't towing, just 'tarmac cruising' plus the wife loves it which is the key factor ;-). The 2.5l engine has enough power for our needs. Others may have different views, just a 'heads up' about potential problems with the diesels. Stay safe out there.
Once the exhaust pressure failure occurred ,the car would limit the car speed.It just like lost the power when u drive ur car on the high way with the speed 90Km /Hr and the speed of the car would drop to 40~60 km/hr or lower.
Acc. To Japan government recall briefing , the corrosion occurred when moisture infiltrates into the exhaust pressure sensor that detected the pressure of the exhausted gas from turbo .
There were several hundred cases reported by JP recall.
There were more cases than Japan in Taiwan.

BTW, the Mazda Taiwan already provided the warranty over the all carlife for this sensor in Taiwan. (if end user finish recall process)

In fact, Mazda Taiwan issue the recall for 3 items.
The 3 items are
1. For 2.2 D coolant spray issue,
MAZDA TAIWAN will proceed the AT stall and CO2 discoloration verification. If the verification fail, Mazda will replace the defect engine by one new engine and provide the all carlife warranty for this engine.

2. For the exhaust pressure sensor failure,
Mazdawil verify it and replace the defect sensor by the 3rd generation sensor with the metal shield.

3.The oil chain broken
Mazda Taiwan will proceed verification for the gap of the oil chain. If it is out of the spec, Mazda Taiwan will replace the defect chain by the new version chain.

The CX-5 and Mazda 6 seems in the reliability trouble and the safety issue already attract the attention from Taiwan government.
Exactly same thing here with CX-5 D 6AUTO AKERA DIESEL AWD . (In Australia)
Car currently at Mazda awaiting assessment. Had no warning lights etc for car overheating but noticed coolant blowing back over engine from overflow tube while driving. It was only when querying this that the problem was discovered.

Note: A recall was done a few months ago and from that day on engine fan would stay on for a minute after driving reasonable distance when it hadnt before. Mazda rep has said this has nothing to do with possible head gasket failure...."R201912 2019/17867 The affected vehicles equipped with the 2.2 ltr diesel engine may be susceptible to fuel injector power loss, wear in the fuel return hose and engine vacuum pump, restricted opening of the intake shutter valve and combustion leak within the engine, resulting in a deterioration in engine performance."

Back