2016 CX-5 Sport Oil Light not on

So the total bill is less than 2K? That's petty good considering how damaged your car looked.
Total bill to fix is $5079
My deductible is $1k
so it's costing Progressive $4079 to fix it.

I might be moving to Idaho soon for a job, so I might have to get rid of it for a more snow worthy car anyway...

So I finally got the car back. They had to order a new Mass Air Flow Sensor and than had to send it to a Mazda dealer to get it properly fitted. I guess in this process they did a complete ECU et al reset. So now the "check engine" light came on, and I am wondering if it is the fabled oil change light that has never come on since I owned this car

So I finally got the car back. They had to order a new Mass Air Flow Sensor and than had to send it to a Mazda dealer to get it properly fitted. I guess in this process they did a complete ECU et al reset. So now the "check engine" light came on, and I am wondering if it is the fabled oil change light that has never come on since I owned this car
I’m not sure how the oil change reminder would be displayed on your 2016 CX-5 Sport. But no, oil chang due light or indicator can’t be the CEL. Try to read the code, and take the CX-5 back to the body shop or the Mazda dealer who did the MFA and PCM reset to resolve the issue.

At the advice of my Insurance Guy, I went to Autozone and the code went off half way there. But the doohicky did read it as 'P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)' I figured it was still learning and old fuel was mixing with new fuel

The ordeal of the MAF is over...Moral of the Story: Dont buy an Autozone MAF

Took it to a Mazda Dealer in Little Rock on my Insurance's dime to get the codes diagnosed. The Mazda Master Tech was like yeah, def the MAF. Guess in the process he upgraded the firmware (going back to the oil change light thing) ...guy seemed really thorough. And Progressive paid to have them install it.
Mazda1.jpg
mazda2.jpg

Last edited:

Took it to a Mazda Dealer in Little Rock on my Insurance's dime to get the codes diagnosed. The Mazda Master Tech was like yeah, def the MAF. Guess in the process he upgraded the firmware (going back to the oil change light thing) ...guy seemed really thorough. And Progressive paid to have them install it.View attachment 234413View attachment 234414
Thanks for the update. So the mass air flow sensor which required the setup by the Mazda dealer is from AutoZone.

For some reason lots of Mazda dealers are the joined dealer with VW.

I have been using Progressive for many years, and they’re pretty good for compensation on 2 hail damages of my CX-5. They quoted me with all OEM parts including the expensive OEM windshield twice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. So the mass air flow sensor which required the setup by the Mazda dealer is from AutoZone.

For some reason lots of Mazda dealers are the joined dealer with VW.

I have been using Progressive for many years, and they’re pretty good for compensation on 2 hail damages of my CX-5. They quoted me with all OEM parts including the expensive OEM windshield twice.
No, the MAF on there now is a "genuine" mazda part installed and calibrated by Mazda...Insurance had me take back the Autozone one to the original shop.

Took it to a Mazda Dealer in Little Rock on my Insurance's dime to get the codes diagnosed. The Mazda Master Tech was like yeah, def the MAF. Guess in the process he upgraded the firmware (going back to the oil change light thing) ...guy seemed really thorough. And Progressive paid to have them install it.View attachment 234413View attachment 234414

I'm impressed by the level of detail in the tech's notes in the invoice. In my own dealer/shop experiences, that's rare.

Yeah, Mazda did a once over and gave me a laundry list of other things that need fixing. The Tech also did a video of his inspection, I thought it was pretty cool. Pretty expensive fixes, but I am sure it's cheaper if I go local. Not sure it's worth it or not
PXL_20210105_173811357.jpg

Yeah, Mazda did a once over and gave me a laundry list of other things that need fixing. The Tech also did a video of his inspection, I thought it was pretty cool. Pretty expensive fixes, but I am sure it's cheaper if I go local. Not sure it's worth it or notView attachment 234467

Once again, nice that they provide video. Some dealers won't even allow people into the shop area. My dealership has large windows behind the service counter so you can see into the shop from the lounge area, but no video.

Do they show you why those parts/services need to be done? I would definitely skip the cabin air filter and rear wiper blade, you can do those yourself and probably get the parts cheaper too. Gasket and acc belt I'd change if they could show me why they need to be changed (valve cover leak or cracks in belt, for example). Spark plugs I'd change if you're due - according to your owner's manual, they're supposed to be changed every 75k miles.

Once again, nice that they provide video. Some dealers won't even allow people into the shop area. My dealership has large windows behind the service counter so you can see into the shop from the lounge area, but no video.

Do they show you why those parts/services need to be done? I would definitely skip the cabin air filter and rear wiper blade, you can do those yourself and probably get the parts cheaper too. Gasket and acc belt I'd change if they could show me why they need to be changed (valve cover leak or cracks in belt, for example). Spark plugs I'd change if you're due - according to your owner's manual, they're supposed to be changed every 75k miles.
Yeah, his Go Pro video showed me that the belt was starting to crack and the valve had a slight leak. I am going to try and find a local shop to do the work, whenever I get it done

Yeah, his Go Pro video showed me that the belt was starting to crack and the valve had a slight leak. I am going to try and find a local shop to do the work, whenever I get it done
Not sure if you still have powertrain warranty, but Mazda’s powertrain warranty does cover valve cover gasket leak. And there’s an oil control valve near by and that o-ring seal could be leaking too.

8965917A-BC39-4D31-A31C-780C0887EA1F.jpeg

Back