The little white driving lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my basic Sport model didn't come with the little white driving lights in the front air dam (2017 CX-5).

Anyone happen to know how much it would be for a dealer to install a set (cost of parts included). Do we have any Mazda techs here?

Solution
i'd suggest the aftermarket route like:

or

Thank you, I have looked at those, that is probably the route I will take.
Mazda Techs probably dont drive Mazda and dont lurk this forum :)
joke aside,

KB7W-V4-600A part.no for the fog lights kit/parts. Around 328usd, not counting any discounts. Also needed is a new stalk switch on the steering wheel. The stalk switch is separate part to order aprox 42 usd (without the discounts) and is based on your car headlights function. auto or no auto headlights.

total parts 370 usd aprox.
you can get anywhere from 25 to 30% off from a willing to discount dealer or online order.

Install time aprox. 1 hour x Whatever your dealer price per hour is if they know what they are doing.

p.s I have the fog leds out of the box and I can say they are pretty much useless. Not sure they are worth 500 or so usd to install.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
The fog lights on 2017+ are worthless for actually enhancing your driving in any conditions. Pretty much just for appearance enhancement only. If that's what you're going for they're fine but if you're looking for actually improving what you can see I would seek out some quality after market solutions.

Upvote 0
IIRC back in ancient times when your main lights were sealed beam units fog lights were an add on that were usually yellow and had a very sharp downward focus. The idea was you could shut down the main headlights to reduce the reflected light from the fog creating a big blur in front of you, and the yellow illumination from the fog lights would also enhance contrast.

Driving lights were usually super bright long throw beams for high speed driving on really dark roads where you would need the extra reaction time so you wouldn't out drive the lights. I had a '74 Volvo wagon that was brought back from Germany by a guy in the service and it had some seriously bright 100 watt halogen driving lights for Autobahn driving I guess.

With the advent of all the new lighting tech those things are mostly useless at this point, the sharply focused LED / HID projector lamps do a better job on their own than the add-ons did.

So I think the fog lights are really cosmetic at this point. I don't notice if they're on or off except for the indicator on the dash letting me know. They're cute though.

Upvote 0
I generally think Ranman57 above is correct. However; the fog lights on my 2014 CX5 seem to work quite but, they are not the newer LED type. Ed

Upvote 0

or

Upvote 0
Mazda Techs probably dont drive Mazda and dont lurk this forum :)
joke aside,

KB7W-V4-600A part.no for the fog lights kit/parts. Around 328usd, not counting any discounts. Also needed is a new stalk switch on the steering wheel. The stalk switch is separate part to order aprox 42 usd (without the discounts) and is based on your car headlights function. auto or no auto headlights.

total parts 370 usd aprox.
you can get anywhere from 25 to 30% off from a willing to discount dealer or online order.

Install time aprox. 1 hour x Whatever your dealer price per hour is if they know what they are doing.

p.s I have the fog leds out of the box and I can say they are pretty much useless. Not sure they are worth 500 or so usd to install.
GOOD GOD!

Upvote 0
The fog lights on 2017+ are worthless for actually enhancing your driving in any conditions. Pretty much just for appearance enhancement only. If that's what you're going for they're fine but if you're looking for actually improving what you can see I would seek out some quality after market solutions.
Thanks, I want them because they look cool. :)

Upvote 0

or

Thank you, I have looked at those, that is probably the route I will take.

Upvote 0
Solution
⋯ So I think the fog lights are really cosmetic at this point. I don't notice if they're on or off except for the indicator on the dash letting me know. They're cute though.
Wait, you have green front-fog-light-on indicator in your dash?

50FC46B4-F775-4037-8240-00DCE61E7479.jpeg

Upvote 0
not in US :)
Looks like the poster Ranman57 is in the US as his car is a '20 CX-5 GT PP AWD. That’s why I was wondering ⋯

it never amazes me how companies here try to skim on small things just to save few hunderd bucks here and there
You noticed that too ⋯

Although Mazda has added some missing features in recent US model years for CX-5 which were available on other markets, such as open / close center vents and one-touch power window on all 4 doors, we still have something missing even on the top-of-line CX-5 Signature such as backup camera with trajectory lines.

Upvote 0
... Although Mazda has added some missing features in recent US model years for CX-5 which were available on other markets, such as open / close center vents and one-touch power window on all 4 doors, we still have something missing even on the top-of-line CX-5 Signature such as backup camera with trajectory lines.

Not to mention effective lane centering, available in other markets, the lack of which has me looking elsewhere for my next ride.

Upvote 0
Some of the fog light utility is handicapped by DOT. In Europe fog lights could be used with just the parking lights (no longer allowed there either, at least in Germany). If it was really heavy fog, the light coming from that low gave better visibility than using headlights. My old 911 is wired that way.

But I agree the fogs on the CX-5 are not much use. I'm tall and I can see the difference in lighting immediately in front of the car when the fogs are on, but that's not where your eyes should be looking anyway. I use them in bad weather to make my car more visible to other drivers, not to improve my vision.

Upvote 0
Actually my 2021 CX5 Signature does have moving trajectory lines on both the front and rear cameras, plus significantly higher resolution images. As to the LED fog lights, mine came from the factory essentially pointing down at the ground illuminating out to about 10’ in front of the bumper. I could not see them from the drivers seat over the hood. Once I adjusted them correctly and applied an Amber lens coating, they are at least somewhat useful.

Upvote 0
They're basically like landing lights on a plane. Don't really help you see, they just help you be seen. That being said, I do kind of like them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back