Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

@7eregrine @ColoradoDriver
Good stuff guys! Still researching a bit regarding the video card. At the moment I have only been looking at pcpartpicker for pricing. That is where I got the $880 for the 3070 card. They listed the 2070 at Staples for $459 but OOS. Only other price I saw for it there was $767 on Amazon. Judging by your response in price to the 3080, I am guessing that $767 for the 2070 is ludicrous as well. :)

I was looking at the i7 9700K but at $75 more than the i5 it doesn't seem like a good deal. If upgrading to the i7, I think the 10700K is better but add $100. Knowing the i5 will work just fine I'm inclined to throw that extra hundy at something else.
Yeah, unfortunately its very hard to get a hold of high end Nvidia cards right now. 20-series because they stopped making them in July or August, and 30-series because they are brand new.

A brand new 2070 should be $500-$600. More than that for a 2 year old card is not great. Nvidia never discounted them since 30-series scarcity so MSRP is what you should be looking out for.

Actually it is Wednesday tomorrow. Check out EVGA's mid-week madness sale here and see if they throw up any cards you are interested in. https://www.evga.com/midweekmadness/

For CPU unless he is game streaming, video editing, and other professional work like that, then an i5 is fine.

We sat down together last night and bought everything but the software and monitors. Stuck to the previous list with exception of keyboard and graphics card. Got the keyboard @7eregrine linked in post 357. Sucks that we missed out on the great price for the 2070 and 3070's we were seeing in the $700+ range so he opted to go with a 2060 for now. We got the Gigabyte GeForce RTX2060 Windforce OC 6G card. Paid more than we should have but from what I was seeing, these things are overpriced across the board and hard to find, paid $589. :oops:

@ColoradoDriver Took a look at the evga link and they have nothing in stock for 2060, 2060 super, 3070 or 3080 and no 2070 listed. Yikes!

Thank you both again for all of your help, tips and insight! Now my son won't be ashamed of how slow his PC is! :D

We sat down together last night and bought everything but the software and monitors. Stuck to the previous list with exception of keyboard and graphics card. Got the keyboard @7eregrine linked in post 357. Sucks that we missed out on the great price for the 2070 and 3070's we were seeing in the $700+ range so he opted to go with a 2060 for now. We got the Gigabyte GeForce RTX2060 Windforce OC 6G card. Paid more than we should have but from what I was seeing, these things are overpriced across the board and hard to find, paid $589. :oops:

@ColoradoDriver Took a look at the evga link and they have nothing in stock for 2060, 2060 super, 3070 or 3080 and no 2070 listed. Yikes!

Thank you both again for all of your help, tips and insight! Now my son won't be ashamed of how slow his PC is! :D
Ah..yeah the Wednesday sales are hit or miss. Was worth a shot.

And yeah, sadly that is the state of the consumer graphics card market right now. It's really not fun.

Anyway, enjoy the new build when you get it!

EDIT: I missed this yesterday so I am sorry! Can also check B-stock page. These are factory refurbished basically, but they have some 2070 Supers listed: https://www.evga.com/products/Produ...Force+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+Super

Last edited:
Jealous you got that keyboard. Did I mention they last forever? I would love to 'upgrade' to that keyboard...but my 4 year old mech keyboard still works perfectly. Literally no other reason to upgrade. I'm just not buying a new keyboard to get a volume knob on the keyb. :p

Still shopping for a monitor(s). Not sure if going the 1440p route now or not with the 2060 card. From what I have read, you have to dial down the refresh rate for some games so not sure it it will really be worth it?

Ah..yeah the Wednesday sales are hit or miss. Was worth a shot.

And yeah, sadly that is the state of the consumer graphics card market right now. It's really not fun.

Anyway, enjoy the new build when you get it!

EDIT: I missed this yesterday so I am sorry! Can also check B-stock page. These are factory refurbished basically, but they have some 2070 Supers listed: https://www.evga.com/products/Produ...Force+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+Super

Anything to save some cash is always worth a shot. I know that he will! Now he is talking about needing a new/bigger gaming desk. lol

Jealous you got that keyboard. Did I mention they last forever? I would love to 'upgrade' to that keyboard...but my 4 year old mech keyboard still works perfectly. Literally no other reason to upgrade. I'm just not buying a new keyboard to get a volume knob on the keyb. :p

Sell the old one to justify buying the new one? haha

Believe it or not, my keyboard is 8 years old and works great. Of course, I periodically look at new items and want to buy a new keyboard, but then some expenses, then others, and this question is postponed. $ 100-150 is also not extra to puff them on a keyboard that is not so urgently needed.

Had to modify the list a little bit. We started putting it together and found that the Magcooler would not fit the case. It was too long to fit on the top and would not line up with the mounting holes on the front due to the mounting point of the buttons on the top of the case. And while the case included six fans it did not include HDD brackets? So we returned the case and the cooler.

Then I realized that the HDD was only 5400rpm, a complete oversight when I made the order. Also, wasn't crazy about the 2.5" SSD drive so we returned both.

His new case is the Fractal Design Meshify C in white. It does not come with fans so we bought six of the Fractal Design Prisma Al-12 120mm ARGB fans. For the CPU cooler, we went with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. Also ordered a WD Black 4TB 7200rpm HDD from Newegg and picked up a Crucial P5 1TB SSD from Best Buy.

The case, fans, HDD and cooler should be here next Monday. It is going to be a looooong week! lol

Had to modify the list a little bit. We started putting it together and found that the Magcooler would not fit the case. It was too long to fit on the top and would not line up with the mounting holes on the front due to the mounting point of the buttons on the top of the case. And while the case included six fans it did not include HDD brackets? So we returned the case and the cooler.

Then I realized that the HDD was only 5400rpm, a complete oversight when I made the order. Also, wasn't crazy about the 2.5" SSD drive so we returned both.

His new case is the Fractal Design Meshify C in white. It does not come with fans so we bought six of the Fractal Design Prisma Al-12 120mm ARGB fans. For the CPU cooler, we went with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. Also ordered a WD Black 4TB 7200rpm HDD from Newegg and picked up a Crucial P5 1TB SSD from Best Buy.

The case, fans, HDD and cooler should be here next Monday. It is going to be a looooong week! lol
Yeah good call on the HDD.

Good case, didn't realize it didn't come with fans.

Hyper 212 is a great step up/affordable air cooler. Should work great.

I got super lucky and scored a TUF RTX3080 on Newegg tonight. I’ll have to return the stupid motherboard it was paired with (“combo” deal), but I’m stoked. I’ll have to sell my MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC that I got back in July. Not looking to take full advantage of this bizarre GPU market (I.e. scalpers!) but I’m happy that I’ll likely get what I paid for it.

Newegg seems to be adding 3060s, 70s, 80s and 90s as part of combo deals around 8 pm EST each night. Check for their “restock alerts” on Twitter. They’ve been good at announcing it about 10 minutes beforehand. But man alive, you still need to be fast at adding, buying via PayPal, and being freshly logged in 5 min before you start refreshing your Newegg search results page! :O

I got super lucky and scored a TUF RTX3080 on Newegg tonight. I’ll have to return the stupid motherboard it was paired with (“combo” deal), but I’m stoked. I’ll have to sell my MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC that I got back in July. Not looking to take full advantage of this bizarre GPU market (I.e. scalpers!) but I’m happy that I’ll likely get what I paid for it.

Newegg seems to be adding 3060s, 70s, 80s and 90s as part of combo deals around 8 pm EST each night. Check for their “restock alerts” on Twitter. They’ve been good at announcing it about 10 minutes beforehand. But man alive, you still need to be fast at adding, buying via PayPal, and being freshly logged in 5 min before you start refreshing your Newegg search results page! :O

Yeah it's a crazy game right now. Nice job snagging one.

I think at this rate I am going to wait for rumored 3070 Ti / 3080 Ti come January.

This is insane, from eBay: $500
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB picture (Read description). Condition is "!!BE WARNED!! This is a Bot/Scalper deterrent listing! This listing is for a piece of standard white printer paper that will have a picture of the NVIDIA FOUNDERS EDITION 3060 TI printed on it. Absolutely all sales are final and no refunds will be issued! Again, this is a BOT/SCALPER DETERRENT! No sane person would buy this. Be warned!!!! It will be shipped priority mail to you though!".

This is insane, from eBay: $500
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB picture (Read description). Condition is "!!BE WARNED!! This is a Bot/Scalper deterrent listing! This listing is for a piece of standard white printer paper that will have a picture of the NVIDIA FOUNDERS EDITION 3060 TI printed on it. Absolutely all sales are final and no refunds will be issued! Again, this is a BOT/SCALPER DETERRENT! No sane person would buy this. Be warned!!!! It will be shipped priority mail to you though!".
It’s ridiculous. EBay is a sea of those fake “paper” GPUs. I don’t get it. I guess it’s the seller response to people creating bots to bid the new RTX 30 series cards up to thousands of dollars using burner 1st time accounts.

And yeah, 3060/70/80/90 stock is still bone dry. I sold my 2070 Super in a couple of hours on eBay (Buy it Now) at the price I paid for it back in July. Strange times we’re in!

Are the 3070's still hard to find? WTF? Why?!?!?!
Multi-faceted issue. Lack of commercial flights to ship cards cheaply on due to Covid so it is much more expensive to ship parts via shipping couriers, or else takes weeks via ship. Secondly is probably fab capacity with TSMC on AMD's part being split up between PS5 and XBox SOCs, Zen 3, and RDNA2 all on TSMC 7nm, and then Nvidia with Samsung's 8nm. Third, demand is sky high so any cards that do show up are scooped up at any price, and this is also problematic because bots/scalpers are scooping them up when they show.

It will normalize at some point when steady supply of multiple SKUs are available, but my guess is Q2 at the earliest now.

Also, Nvidia directly sold a lot of Ampere to crypto mining farms. Quite a significant amount. So less to supply gamers.

That said with RDNA2 out, 3070 and 3080 are likely getting EOL'd quickly and quietly with a 3070 Ti essentially replacing the 3080 at a lower pricepoint (between current 3070 and current 3080 most likely), and a 3080 Ti at $1k (rumor) to compete with the 6900XT at $999. This card will essentially be a 3090 cut down slightly with 20GB vRAM.

Currently, when stuff does show up it is usually 3060 Ti's or 3090's, not 3070s and 3080's. Rumors are rampant of Ti launches for the 3070/3080 in Januray. And honestly, not surprised by that at all. 3080 and 3070 and to an extent the 3090 were all launched way too early as money grabs before they had to revamp the lineup due to RDNA2 competition. Right now the 3070 and 3080 are just weird cards at their current price segments now. Granted, Nvidia will trample RDNA2 for ray-tracing, but any traditional raster-rendering they are getting beat pretty handily in lower than 4k, hence the rumors that they are getting EOL'd.

Nvidia doesn't like to be beat.

Oh the other factor is pent up demand for high end cards. The 20-series was literally the worst value for money spent and the worst gen on gen performance uplift for a new architecture for Nvidia. Honestly a lot of people on Pascal 10-series cards or even 980 Ti's just skipped it and now want/need an upgrade.

AMD likewise had nothing in the high end, so there's demand all around from the last couple years of people just waiting. People like me. No way I was buying a 20-series card. 2070 was literally the most expensive 70 class card ever and it was also the lowest end chip ever for a 70 class card. A 106 chip in a 70-class card for more than $500. What a joke. While the 30-series largely retained Turing price hikes, it at least course corrected on which chips were in which class of cards. I will give credit to Nvidia for that.

So now everyone wants one...myself included. And now with Cyberpunk2077, Ray Tracing looks like something I would be interested in now.

Stop dissing my card MF'er!!!! :D
And stop saying how bad it is. I need to get a good return when I sell mine on eBay. (Where I bought mine...I did not pay full price).
hahaha
You should get a great return if you sell now. I loved my 2070 Super while I had it. The summer build was my first in over a decade so it fit the bill perfectly.

It is crazy how well the 10xx series are holding up though. If I needed a card in a pinch, I’d try to get a used 1080ti. Probably the best value in overinflated used market at the moment.

You should get a great return if you sell now. I loved my 2070 Super while I had it. The summer build was my first in over a decade so it fit the bill perfectly.

It is crazy how well the 10xx series are holding up though. If I needed a card in a pinch, I’d try to get a used 1080ti. Probably the best value in overinflated used market at the moment.
Yea, but i have to wait for a 3070 to replace it!
(I don't regret it)

Back