Need rebuild advice

Alright so,some of you may have seen my struggle on here with one of my P5s. Finally did a compression test and she got an F on it lol. I guess I’m just gonna rebuild it and have some head work done. But here’s my question,what are some options for go-fast parts? I wanna boost it,and it’s gonna be a daily driven “race car” lol But I have no idea where to start on it. Should I have it bored out? What cams? Turbo and manifold options? I searched the first few pages for info but didn’t find much/: any advice on what parts to get would be rad. Thanks everyone!

I am by no means an expert, and there are plenty of people on here who are more knowledgeable on this subject, but I'll just throw out some general info that I've picked up over time to hopefully get the conversation rolling. Anyone else - feel free to pipe up and fact check or give more specific details.

Below are the factory powertrain/performance options I've seen discussed around here:
  • Stock FS-DE - stupid slow, (~130hp/135lbft from factory)
  • FS-DE with MP3 ECU - better power delivery, marginal performance increase if you're lucky, (~140hp/142lbft from factory)
  • JDM FS-ZE - different internals, higher compression, higher redline, (~173hp/134lbft from factory)
  • FS-DET from MazdaSpeed Protege (MSP) - turbocharged, internally identical to FS-DE, (~170hp,160lbft from factory)
  • KL-DE swap - 2.5L v6 from the Probe/Millenia, (~170hp/160ftlb from factory)
  • JDM KL-ZE swap - Euro market KL, (~200hp/165lbft from factory)
I'm not familiar enough with aftermarket performance bits to confidently post info here, but I've linked a few resources below for your viewing pleasure:
That's all I've got. This forum has all the information you'll possibly need. It's a matter of knowing what to search for. Build threads are also a great way to get info on what other's have done to their Proteges.

Best of luck!

This forum has all the information you'll possibly need. It's a matter of knowing what to search for. Build threads are also a great way to get info on what other's have done to their Proteges.

Best of luck!
^^^ What he said.

I remember reading about fancy forged gears for a standard transmission that cost 6 or 7 thousand dollars,
Just for the gear set to put in our transmission.

It's all here in the threads somewhere.

Surf through the build threads.
It's all there.

These cars are getting (or already are) at that age where spending big money on them is not a very smart decision. Re-building an engine with all the "go fast bits" (if you can find any now) is going to cost 2 maybe 3 times what the car is worth. There has to come a time when one has to call it a day. These cars are not, and will not be collectable items.

Just my 2c.

These cars are getting (or already are) at that age where spending big money on them is not a very smart decision. Re-building an engine with all the "go fast bits" (if you can find any now) is going to cost 2 maybe 3 times what the car is worth. There has to come a time when one has to call it a day. These cars are not, and will not be collectable items.

Just my 2c.
I’m not rebuilding it to resell or anything,I just love these cars and wanna build one. I’ve wasted plenty of money on not collectible vehicles lol like my plans for this car involve a 4in-6in lift,tubular bumpers and hopefully 31s.

I’m not rebuilding it to resell or anything,I just love these cars and wanna build one. I’ve wasted plenty of money on not collectible vehicles lol like my plans for this car involve a 4in-6in lift,tubular bumpers and hopefully 31s.

Hence the username, lol

Gotcha...not something I think I've seen on here before! I'm definitely interested to see how it goes. Maybe a build thread is in order?

It would intuitively seem to me that with bigger tires, you'd probably also want more torque. Though the stock FS-DE trans has short-ish gearing (compared to some other vehicles in the class), the engine doesn't have a lot of torque. I'm not sure that an FS-ZE or even a stock FS-DET swap would give you the desired amount of torque. I'm sure you could do your own Turbo setup and make a decent number, but I think we all know what that means for your wallet. You could also do a KL-ZE swap if you were willing to ditch the i4.

But again, this is all speculation based on my intuition....take it for what it's worth.

Gotcha...not something I think I've seen on here before! I'm definitely interested to see how it goes. Maybe a build thread is in order?

It would intuitively seem to me that with bigger tires, you'd probably also want more torque. Though the stock FS-DE trans has short-ish gearing (compared to some other vehicles in the class), the engine doesn't have a lot of torque. I'm not sure that an FS-ZE or even a stock FS-DET swap would give you the desired amount of torque. I'm sure you could do your own Turbo setup and make a decent number, but I think we all know what that means for your wallet. You could also do a KL-ZE swap if you were willing to ditch the i4.

But again, this is all speculation based on my intuition....take it for what it's worth.
I’ll definitely start a thread when I start on it. I’m currently trying to figure out how to mount a 87 cavalier body to a 91 Chevy truck frame and still have room for my 427 lol, once this one is at least mounted to the frame and able to be pushed out of the way, my P5 gets to wait patiently in the corner.

As far as engines though, I’ve been debating on just boosting my stock fs-de, going with a KLZE or going totally off the wall and find a way to put an ALH TDI in it with a hood stack lol.

Back