Oil Choice, oil consumption

My 16.5 with the 2.5l NA engine has burned 1qt every 5k miles since new. It's my wife's daily driver and I would say it never see's above 4k rpm ('cept for when I drive it 😜)

It's consistent though. When it's time for the oil change, it's down to the low mark on the dipstick.

My '15 (2.0 litre) and '18 (2.5 litre) Mazda 3's never burned any oil

What are people considering as oil consumption? For example, over 8 to 10 thousand miles, does the oil level still hit the top hole on the dipstick? Some people don't consider it oil consumption if it moves down from the top hole, but never goes below the lower hole.

I add a quart about every 5k miles. Keep in mind I only add 5qt when doing new oil change, so it's not "full" but pretty close to start with. At 5k level is usually at low hole.

Go with a heavy 30w like m1 esp, motul x clean ex or a lighter 30w like the amsoil ss which has a noack of 6 which is very low.

I don't keep records of when I add oil but 1 qt over 5k miles might be about what mine uses.

I am more likely to add a pint when the level looks lower than half way between the marks. This is probably typically after 2 - 3k miles. Then I might change it at 5k.

My last drain amounted to just a bit over 4 qts.after about 3500 miles.

I refilled with about 4.75 qts of Pennzoil Platinum. The first time I checked the level after a drive it showed about 1/3 below full but I checked the next morning and the level looked full.

I refilled with about 4.75 qts of Pennzoil Platinum. The first time I checked the level after a drive it showed about 1/3 below full but I checked the next morning and the level looked full.
Trying to clarify the oil refilling quantities. You have a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport 6MT(y) which has 2.0L. The oil capacity from Mazda specs for 2.0L is 4.4 US quarts whereas for 2.5L it’s 4.8 US quarts. In the real world for 2.5L we need ~5.2 quarts to reach the Full mark on the dipstick, ~4.75 quart to the Full mark cold for 2.0L is about right.

I add a quart about every 5k miles. Keep in mind I only add 5qt when doing new oil change, so it's not "full" but pretty close to start with. At 5k level is usually at low hole.
IMO oil consumption is not good to the environment, and is not good to the emission devices especially the expensive catalytic converter. I’d try anything to reduce or stop it preventing expensive engine repair in the future.

I‘d just use any reputable (and Mazda recommended) 5W-30 oil or those mentioned by avi1777 above trying to stop the oil consumption. Or use the latest SP / GF-6 standard oil such as Idemitsu SP / GF-6 0W-20 oil which is supposed to make 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer oil life if you insist to use 0W-20 oil.

We use 0-20W. We're now at 120K miles. It uses half a quart every 5000 miles. I change the oil every 5K too. For most of it's life our 2016 CX5 didn't use any.

We use 0-20W. We're now at 120K miles. It uses half a quart every 5000 miles. I change the oil every 5K too. For most of it's life our 2016 CX5 didn't use any.
Something has started happening on your 2.5L. Check oil leaks in the areas such as valve cover gasket、oil control valve gasket、timing chain cover sealing、oil pan sealing、rear crankshaft bearing seal、 etc. If you can’t find any leaks, IMO it’s time to switch heavier weight 5W-30 oil.

Something has started happening on your 2.5L. Check oil leaks in the areas such as valve cover gasket、oil control valve gasket、timing chain cover sealing、oil pan sealing、rear crankshaft bearing seal、 etc. If you can’t find any leaks, IMO it’s time to switch heavier weight 5W-30 oil.

A pint in 5k miles is not much at all.
If it’s not leaks, it could be either wear or it could be related to ring buildup or partial sticking. A 5W30 will correct neither of the latter. It may or may not be of any help to the former.

A pint in 5k miles is not much at all.
If it’s not leaks, it could be either wear or it could be related to ring buildup or partial sticking. A 5W30 will correct neither of the latter. It may or may not be of any help to the former.
It’s not the matter of burning a pint of oil in 5k miles, but the almost sudden behavior change from not using any oil. Checking the leaks at those listed areas which have been reported by others is a thing for a CX-5 with 120K miles. At least the owner knows why the engine has started consuming oil. If the oil is burned instead of leaking out, he / she needs to consider the long-term effects to the emission devices and environment. Whether or not the owner should fix the leak if there’s one or stop the oil burning is another story.

Most oil consumption on high mileage engine is caused by engine wear. Hence by using heavier weight oil usually can at least slow down the oil consumption.

BTW, my 1998 Honds CR-V with183.5K miles consumes less than ¼ quart between oil changes.

I completely forgot: The PCV system is the other simple but relatively high-probability item to check.

I've noticed on other vehicles I've owned that the oil level seems to go down a bit on a long distance trip, especially in the summer.
That's one reason I use 5w30 most of the time.

Most oil consumption on high mileage engine is caused by engine wear. Hence by using heavier weight oil usually can at least slow down the oil consumption.

BTW, my 1998 Honds CR-V with183.5K miles consumes less than ¼ quart between oil changes.

My experience is that sometimes it is wear, but in those instances my experience has been that it's mostly valve guides or seals that are worn. That's not something a heavier-grade oil is generally helpful to prevent, though I agree with you that it may well slow the consumption rate. My own experience has been that increased consumption (excluding leaky seals) is often caused by the PCV system, or by coked or stuck or somehow-fouled rings. That itself (ring fouling) is somewhat of a symptom of an earlier problem, so whether thicker oil would have prevented it, or will slow the consumption rate in the future, is uncertain.

It doesn't hurt anything to try a grade thicker oil and see what happens.

IMO oil consumption is not good to the environment, and is not good to the emission devices especially the expensive catalytic converter. I’d try anything to reduce or stop it preventing expensive engine repair in the future.

I‘d just use any reputable (and Mazda recommended) 5W-30 oil or those mentioned by avi1777 above trying to stop the oil consumption. Or use the latest SP / GF-6 standard oil such as Idemitsu SP / GF-6 0W-20 oil which is supposed to make 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer oil life if you insist to use 0W-20 oil.
My LS1 had to have the cat replaced at about 80K miles because it became clogged due to oil consumption (is my guess). I bought the car with 72K miles on it, I believe. It was using about 1 quart every 4K miles. I replaced the PCV valve with one from a 5.3L Silverado, and switched to the recommended 0-30 GC, and got consumption down to about half that. Cat was fine until I sold at 149K miles.

When changing oil do you guys fill up the new filter or install it dry/almost dry? I fill up the filter at least half way then pour entire 5 quart bottle in a 2.5l engine to reach max line...........about 4.8 on a 2.0l to get to max line. Levels check after running to grocer store and back.

When changing oil do you guys fill up the new filter or install it dry/almost dry? I fill up the filter at least half way then pour entire 5 quart bottle in a 2.5l engine to reach max line...........about 4.8 on a 2.0l to get to max line. Levels check after running to grocer store and back.
I do that. It's a trick we were taught in our engine rebuilding days. I fill the filter a few times and let the oil soak in, then install it.

the pre fill is an old subject,bottom line it cant hurt to pre fill but there is 500k engines out there that didnt so its not crucial.

My last change, just a few weeks ago, I filled the filter with some Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40 that I had leftover from a previous change. Then I put about 4.75 quarts in. It puts the oil level just under the full mark.
I always pour some in the filter, let it sit, then add some more.

Back