Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a new 2020 CX-5 Signature and while its VIN doesn't fall into the category covered by the TSB, I will be washing it in a day or two for the first time. What is the recommended procedure for rinsing/washing/rinsing the mirrors and surrounding areas to reduce the chances of mirror failure happening?

I recently purchased a new 2020 CX-5 Signature and while its VIN doesn't fall into the category covered by the TSB, I will be washing it in a day or two for the first time. What is the recommended procedure for rinsing/washing/rinsing the mirrors and surrounding areas to reduce the chances of mirror failure happening?

I would treat it like any other vehicle you wash. The issue that was identified in the TSB should not be of concern for you.

While we have one of the first Signatures built back in November of 2018, we have not seen any issue with the mirrors. They are folded several times a day for almost 2 years now. We will keep an eye on it, though.

CX-5s after June 2019 probably have the improved sealers to correct the problem. Mine was from February 2019.

If anyone is looking for the TSB related to this issue, here it is. It is applicable to 2019 CX-5s produced before June 11, 2019 and 2019 CX-9s produced before August 28, 2019).

Nice find! Anchorman once tried to attach his own copy of power folding mirror TSB, but failed due to the big file size. This one definitely is not the first TSB for power folding mirrors from Mazda, but is one of the many TSBs world wide and hopefully this’s the final one.

Where would all the tsbs be?

We used to keep a list of them on this site, but I believe we were asked to take the list down. TSBs are technically internal documents that Mazda techs use as references for repairing issues, so that may be why.

I found this TSB by searching google for "mazda cx-5 folding mirror tsb". It came up as a result from carcomplaints.com and also from tsbsearch.com, but the actual TSB pdf seems to be hosted by NHTSA.gov.

Where would all the tsbs be?
Thanks to Mazda we once had a sticky thread with all the TSBs collected, but now it became a defunct one buried somewhere with cleaned or disabled links for helpful info.

SkyActiv TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins)

In recent years all auto makers are required to submit TSB to NHTSA. So we usually can locate those recent TSBs by searching through the NHTSA website such as this 09-011/20 TSB for power folding mirrors.

Update...mirror issue fixed on 2019 Signature. Thanks to this forum I passed on the TSB :) since it was the first time they had had this problem. Apparently they broke a mirror clip is the process so I have to go back in a couple of days to get that fixed. 45 minute drive to dealer for a 15 minute repair :-(
FYI - They gave me a CX-9 loaner for the day. Felt way too big so I'm happy to have my CX-5 back!

I had the most bizzare experience at a dealer here in the Toronto area today.

My car ('19 signature) started exhibiting this issue on the passenger side initially, and then the drivers side just over the past few months.

Took it in today, and... they claimed that they looked at the issue but couldn't find a fault, and that they had called the Mazda Tech line and were informed that there would be a TSB that would be issued in Canada sometime next year.

I alluded to the "Mazda NORTH AMERICA" TSB that is posted on this thread, and he said that there wasn't anything in their system.

Has anyone in Canada had this issue and then had it repaired?

I should mention - they never fixed it.

My car ('19 signature) started exhibiting this issue on the passenger side initially, and then the drivers side just over the past few months.

Took it in today, and... they claimed that they looked at the issue but couldn't find a fault, and that they had called the Mazda Tech line and were informed that there would be a TSB that would be issued in Canada sometime next year.

I alluded to the "Mazda NORTH AMERICA" TSB that is posted on this thread, and he said that there wasn't anything in their system.

Are you saying your power folding mirrors are having folding problem, but the Mazda dealer didn’t want to fix them because the Mazda Canada hasn’t issued a TSB? That’s ridiculous! 👎

I had the problem with both mirrors recently with my 2019 Signature here on Vancouver Island. I reported it to my Mazda dealer, and referenced the TSB.
They ordered the parts and fixed the problem under warranty no questions asked.

Sounds like a lazy dealer to me. I'd go over the dealer's head and contact Mazda Canada directly. There's no way to even know if they actually contacted a "Mazda Tech Line".

A TSB is just an internal reference and/or set of instructions that a Mazda tech can use to troubleshoot and repair a known issue. I think the only time it would be valid in one market and not another would be due to region-specific parts (i.e. if Mazda Canada used a different P/N or supplier for the mirrors vs Mazda of North America). I don't think that's the case here, which makes me think that the dealer is just lazy or incompetent.

Sounds like a lazy dealer to me. I'd go over the dealer's head and contact Mazda Canada directly. There's no way to even know if they actually contacted a "Mazda Tech Line".

A TSB is just an internal reference and/or set of instructions that a Mazda tech can use to troubleshoot and repair a known issue. I think the only time it would be valid in one market and not another would be due to region-specific parts (i.e. if Mazda Canada used a different P/N or supplier for the mirrors vs Mazda of North America). I don't think that's the case here, which makes me think that the dealer is just lazy or incompetent.

This is what I thought...I’ll definitely take it over to them and go to Mazda Canada. This is the second problem I’ve had in 4 visits, so...I think it’s over for these guys.

If anyone is looking for the TSB related to this issue, here it is. It is applicable to 2019 CX-5s produced before June 11, 2019 and 2019 CX-9s produced before August 28, 2019).

I just noticed today that my driver's side mirror does not fold in all the way (maybe half-way). I then unfolded them and retried to fold them in but this time giving the driver's door one a bit of a nudge. It folded all the way but I suspect this is a manifestation of the same issue. I printed the TSB off and, if this partial fold-in continues, will be taking my CX-5 (manufacture date of 2/19) to the dealer to get fixed.

My thanks to sm1ke for publishing this TSB.

So.. an update.

I called Mazda Canada and sure enough, the exact same TSB exists here. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

They offered to call the dealership for me, but I opted to do it myself.

I voiced my displeasure, and told them I wanted it fixed with the TSB. Gave them the case # that Mazda Canada told me to give them.

It'll be fixed in a week.

Thanks sm1ke for posting the TSB - you saved my ass.

So.. an update.

I called Mazda Canada and sure enough, the exact same TSB exists here. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

They offered to call the dealership for me, but I opted to do it myself.

I voiced my displeasure, and told them I wanted it fixed with the TSB. Gave them the case # that Mazda Canada told me to give them.

It'll be fixed in a week.

Thanks sm1ke for posting the TSB - you saved my ass.

No problem - but to be fair, you saved your own ass by not giving up and doing the legwork yourself. Cheers!

So, I had the car in on Monday this past week, despite the multiple visits to get it fixed, they finally fixed it.

I'm going to have a chat with their service manager to discuss my sub-optimal experience with their dealership. I know it likely won't matter, and s*** won't change, but at least I'll be able to voice my displeasure.

Years ago, I wrote a letter to the CEO of Mazda Canada in PRAISE of the service at this particular dealership, and it has seriously degraded since a previous service manager left.

I may end up doing the same thing again, but this time it might be a bit more negative.

Yes the dealership management makes a huge difference. I'm seeing a change (for the worse) in my dealership too, now that the management has changed. Luckily my senior service advisor is a great guy and listens. But there's also the problem of turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back