Oil for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo

:
Toronto, ON
:
2021 CX-5 GT Turbo
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo and I'm not sure what oil I should use. I'd like a 0W-30 to help with faster oil flow and easier startups in winter, but I'd also like a higher HTHS and TBN oil to protect better for 10K Km intervals. A 5W-30 would also be good. It will be daily driven in Canada, some spirited driving, but nothing excessive for extended periods of time. Any recommendations for a full synthetic oil for this application?

I looked at Motul's 8100 X-Cess 5W-30, it has an HTHS of 3.5 and TBN of 10+, but I can't seem to find it here in Canada...

Out of curiosity, what is the factory recommended oil for the 2021 CX-5 turbo?

You will be glad to know Mazda publishes ALL of the owner's manuals here:

specifically for the 2021 CX-5 here:

you will want section 6 - Maintenance page 517
then section 6-22 - OIL
then you will see: " SKYACTIV-G 2.5T Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil. Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy. "

teach a person to fish and all that.

I've tried Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and I think Pennzoil might be a little quieter on a cold start.

Costco kirkland 5w30 full synthetic is SP rated (supercedes sn+) and crazy cheap at only $24 for 2 five quart jugs in a box. Highly rated and tested by many sources

Hey guys, I'm getting a new Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo and I'm not sure what oil I should use. I'd like a 0W-30 to help with faster oil flow and easier startups in winter, but I'd also like a higher HTHS and TBN oil to protect better for 10K Km intervals. A 5W-30 would also be good. It will be daily driven in Canada, some spirited driving, but nothing excessive for extended periods of time. Any recommendations for a full synthetic oil for this application?

I looked at Motul's 8100 X-Cess 5W-30, it has an HTHS of 3.5 and TBN of 10+, but I can't seem to find it here in Canada...
I’d use an oil which meets or exceeds the latest SP / GF-6 standard such as Idemitsu 5W-30 full synthetic.
I recommend the Idemitsu 5w-30. Idemitsu makes (made?) the Mazda high moly 0w-20

71Yf-H2guNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The best part of this oil is it meets or exceeds the latest SP / GF-6 standard.

It claims the following improvements over GF-6:
  • 30% more protection against engine wear
  • 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer life
  • Up to 24% improved fuel economy
  • 90% more resistant to viscosity increases
  • Three to four times more protection against cold startups
  • 91% reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
  • 6% cleaner engine

The Mazda 0w20 bottles I have state "with moly" on the label.
Does this Idemitsu have moly?

The Mazda 0w20 bottles I have state "with moly" on the label.
Does this Idemitsu have moly?
Idemitsu Zepro oil has high molybdenum content and many suspect it’s the same oil as OEM Mazda moly oil. But Idemitsu is phasing out the Zepro oil which is the SN / GF-5 oil, and coming out with new SP / GF-6 oil which may contain minimum molybdenum.

9FA48D40-F6D7-4C1F-B697-7E655D09A5BD.jpeg

I said this a few posts ago. Costco kirkland 5w30 full synthetic is SP rated (supercedes sn+) and crazy cheap at only $24 for 2 five quart jugs in a box. Highly rated and tested by many sources. It also has a good dose of moly in it

Owner's manual states that any 5w30 oil can be used, as long as it meets API and ILSAC certifications. It also states an OCI of 6 months or 8000 kms, whichever comes first.

Personally, I would follow the owner's manual to maintain the factory powertrain warranty on the engine.

I have run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my engine, and I currently run Castrol Edge 5w30. I haven't had any issues starting in cold weather with either oil (cold weather being -35c overnight, without the block heater plugged in). Car starts up just fine at -50c w/ the windchill, as long as the block heater is plugged in.

Owner's manual states that any 5w30 oil can be used, as long as it meets API and ILSAC certifications. It also states an OCI of 6 months or 8000 kms, whichever comes first.
The 8,000 km / 6 months OCI is for Canada only. For the USA it’s up to 12 months or 7,500 miles with Flexible OCI on Schedule 1 for normal driving conditions and Schedule 2 for severe driving conditions. You do have a Fixed OCI option on schedule 2 with 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

The 8,000 km / 6 months OCI is for Canada only. For the USA it’s up to 12 months or 7,500 miles with Flexible OCI on Schedule 1 for normal driving conditions and Schedule 2 for severe driving conditions. You do have a Fixed OCI option on schedule 2 with 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

hrmmm ... can't find Motul's 8100 X-Cess 5W-30 in Canada? Seems odd my 30 second search on Google leads me here:

I would think this resource would reveal resellers:

US sellers on Ebay.ca will ship to Canada:

Last edited:
I’ve used Mobil 1 regular synthetic (no extended performance, high mileage, etc. variants) in most of my cars over the years (bought on coupon at Costco for about $4.75/qt although Walmart is somewhat cheaper), but decided for my new 2021 turbo to spend an extra $10 per change on the Idemitsu GF6 5w-30. I’m also planning on a 2K initial OC as I think there is the possibility of some benefit and I’m not a believer that Mazda, or any other mfg for that matter, uses any radically different break-in oil for the initial fill, and in any event, 95% of break-in is over at 2K miles. I’ll probably go with 5K OCI’s going forward, but won’t lose any sleep if I go over this mileage occasionally.

Costco’s Kirkland synthetic is getting stellar reviews and is really cheap. Might use this next.

Having said all this, I don’t think you can go wrong with any name brand synthetic (or even conventional if you careful about OCI) or going “by the Mazda book” on OCIs. Doing more is mainly because I enjoy giving the car a little extra TLC.

- Mark

Back