2019 CX-5 signature first oil change - conventional or synthetic?

Reviving this thread. I dropped my CX-5 off at dealer for a full synthetic oil change and they filled it with 5W-30 conventional (ugh!). They're making good on it, however, they use Ford OEM oil (they're a Ford/Lincoln/Mazda dealership.

They will drain and refill tomorrow for me.

The oil they will use is this one: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...oils/sae-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oils.html (GF5/SN). Any reason to object to this this oil?

I'll answer my own question (and should google before I post! Lesson learned..):

Apparently this oil is GF-6/SP/RC/SN PLUS, so should be pretty good stuff and perfect for my CX-5.
What kind of conventional oil the dealer was using? A Ford? Did they use Ford oil filter too? If they’re going to use full synthetic 5W-30 oil this time, do they change the oil filter too? Make sure to get another new Mazda OEM PY8W-14-302 or 1WPY-14-302 oil filter for your 2.5T, as the oil filter is vertical mounted and there’s about 0.3 quart of old oil stuck in there.

I decided to change my oil, even though it only has about 3500 highway miles on the oil.

The oil level was about half between the marks on the dipstick. When I poured it back into an empty jug it was just over 4 qts.

The manual says to add just over 4.5 qts. I usually like to pour some oil in the new filter before I install it. Dealers probably don't do this but I think it is a good idea.

I haven't decided what oil to put in. I have an assortment of pints and quarts leftover from previous oil changes but they are different brands and grades. I also have more oil filters but I usually use a Wix filter. I have a Fram Tough guard TG6607 but it might have slightly different specs so I wonder what will happen it I use it.
This might be a good time to try as I hardly go any where due to the virus.

I decided to change my oil, even though it only has about 3500 highway miles on the oil.
For how long has the oil been changed? Recommended OCI is 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first.

The oil level was about half between the marks on the dipstick. When I poured it back into an empty jug it was just over 4 qts.

The manual says to add just over 4.5 qts.
So your 2016.5 CX-5 Sport doesn’t have the 2.5L? The manual says the “approximate” oil capacity on engine oil for 2.5L is 4.8 quarts but 2.0L is 4.4 quarts.

That's it, 4.4 qts. Just under 4.5 😁
It's only 3500 miles but it's been a year since I changed it. I think the oil is probably not that acidic because I drive it on the highway every time I take it out. Nevertheless the oil looked fairly dark when I wiped the dipstick on a clean paper towel. I drained it out last week and noticed it's pretty dark in the pan as well. I wonder if the engine produces too much soot?

That's it, 4.4 qts. Just under 4.5 😁
It's only 3500 miles but it's been a year since I changed it. I think the oil is probably not that acidic because I drive it on the highway every time I take it out. Nevertheless the oil looked fairly dark when I wiped the dipstick on a clean paper towel. I drained it out last week and noticed it's pretty dark in the pan as well. I wonder if the engine produces too much soot?
What kind of oil is it? Modern oil contents a lot of detergent so the oil gets dark in short period of time is pretty normal. Changing the oil in 12 months meets Mazda’s recommendation even though the oil is only been used for 3,500 miles.

BTW the oil capacity stated in the manual is not accurate IMO. For my 2.5L, I need 5.3 quarts of oil for oil change to make the oil level to be at the Full mark although the manual says 4.8 quarts. I imagine your 2.0L should need 4.8+ quarts for oil change if you want the oil level to reach the Full mark.

Last edited:
My 2014 CX5 manual in the section for fluids STATES that volumes are approimate. I buy a 5Q jug and put it in with a new oil filter and call it good. The oil level is about 1/8 inch below the MAX line. Ed

What kind of conventional oil the dealer was using? A Ford? Did they use Ford oil filter too? If they’re going to use full synthetic 5W-30 oil this time, do they change the oil filter too? Make sure to get another new Mazda OEM PY8W-14-302 or 1WPY-14-302 oil filter for your 2.5T, as the oil filter is vertical mounted and there’s about 0.3 quart of old oil stuck in there.

The filter they installed is 1WPY-14-302. I don’t think they were offering a new filter, just a drain and refill (I’ve only driven 14 miles since the oil change). Is a new filter needed?

The filter they installed is 1WPY-14-302. I don’t think they were offering a new filter, just a drain and refill (I’ve only driven 14 miles since the oil change). Is a new filter needed?
If you don’t feel comfortable of using conventional oil in your turbo engine, and the dealer is not willing to change the oil filter when they change the oil, there is at least 0.3 quart of old conventional oil in filter can’t get drained out. The result is you mix 4.8 quarts of fresh full synthetic oil with 0.3 quart of old conventional oil. You can insist that the filter needs to be replaced or the old conventional oil can’t be drained completely. The filter itself is fine. If they refuse it, you can offer to pay for the new oil filter. Or at least ask the tech to remove the filter、dump the old oil inside、then reuse it. It’s your call.

What kind of dealer is that? that doesnt change the oil filter with oil change.
Did you get a free oil change or something or they are so incompetent?

I appreciate that. Makes sense.

I’m sure they’ll replace the filter for me at no charge.
You’ll never know those dealers. The worst could just bring your car in、do nothing、then give the car back to you telling you it’s done. The oil is fresh already and you can’t tell it has been replaced again. I’d try to take a peek if possible making sure they’re changing the oil and filter. At least ask for an invoice showing full synthetic oil、filter、and drain plug washer as the parts been used.

All the suspicions are because this dealer screwed up a simple oil change at the first place.

I was just going to say what yrwei said. You might want to put a mark on your oil filter in a place they won't notice it and then later checking to see if it is there or not and call them from home if they didn't change the filter. Or watch them do the work if they have a garage area that you can see into. Your oil is clean so it will be impossible to tell if they changed it or not. On that note, my friend's car had conventional oil put in at the dealers and he didn't worry about it. It still meets or exceeds what the manufacturer calls for.

What kind of oil is it? Modern oil contents a lot of detergent so the oil gets dark in short period of time is pretty normal. Changing the oil in 12 months meets Mazda’s recommendation even though the oil is only been used for 3,500 miles.

BTW the oil capacity stated in the manual is not accurate IMO. For my 2.5L, I need 5.3 quarts of oil for oil change to make the oil level to be at the Full mark although the manual says 4.8 quarts. I imagine your 2.0L should need 4.8+ quarts for oil change if you want the oil level to reach the Full mark.
The old oil is Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30.
When I look really close at the oil I dumped out if the filter I can see little tiny microscopic dark grains. I wonder if that is soot?
I'm thinking of using this assortment of oil jug 'remnants' because with this coronavirus all over the place I might be draining it out with even fewer miles than 3500.
I usually just put in 4.5 qts and save the extra pint.

I was just going to say what yrwei said. You might want to put a mark on your oil filter in a place they won't notice it and then later checking to see if it is there or not and call them from home if they didn't change the filter. Or watch them do the work if they have a garage area that you can see into. Your oil is clean so it will be impossible to tell if they changed it or not. On that note, my friend's car had conventional oil put in at the dealers and he didn't worry about it. It still meets or exceeds what the manufacturer calls for.
Second that strategy.

I got (almost) burned like that a few years ago by a Ford dealer. They pretended to do the oil and filter change but never touched the car. Caught them red handed.

The old oil is Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30.
When I look really close at the oil I dumped out if the filter I can see little tiny microscopic dark grains. I wonder if that is soot?
I'm thinking of using this assortment of oil jug 'remnants' because with this Corona all over the place I might be draining it out with even fewer miles than 3500.
I usually just put in 4.5 qts and save the extra pint.
So you’re using Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic which is an excellent oil. 5W-30 viscosity is also recommended by Mazda worldwide for your 2.0L, although Mazda says only 0W-20 here in the US. I’d not be worried about what you see in the drained oil from oil filter with tiny microscopic dark grains. This proves the oil filter did its job. If you really concerned, do a UOA which will tell you a lot more than what you see from the old oil. Just stick with good full synthetic oil and OEM oil filter (IMO, even the cheap OEM Value oil filter is better than those “one-size-fit-all” after-market oil filters), and change it once a year even if you only drive very minimum miles, you’ll be fine.

Using 4.5 quarts for oil change on your 2.0L is fine as long as you feel comfortable about the oil level not reaching the Full mark. I like to have more safety margin and fill the oil to the Full mark of the dipstick after each oil change like every other fluid levels. I was trained this way since I was young starting to change the oil by myself.

Second that strategy.

I got (almost) burned like that a few years ago by a Ford dealer. They pretended to do the oil and filter change but never touched the car. Caught them red handed.
Same here only at a Toyota store. The “free“ tire rotation, oil and filter change only consisted of fresh oil in my new at the time tundra. I’ve always changed my own oil but I figured it’s free so why not. What’s bad is that they denied it. Lost my business at from that point forward. Love the truck. Despise being lied to.

I trust this dealer. It was an honest mistake. I’ve had the same service advisor through 4 cars we’ve purchased from same dealer. He wanted to save me a few dollars and put in conventional because the Mazda doesn’t specify synthetic. New oil in and they replaced filter. I’m good to go and satisfied.

they also updated my infotainment to the new .367 firmware for me.

I trust this dealer. It was an honest mistake. I’ve had the same service advisor through 4 cars we’ve purchased from same dealer. He wanted to save me a few dollars and put in conventional because the Mazda doesn’t specify synthetic. New oil in and they replaced filter. I’m good to go and satisfied.

they also updated my infotainment to the new .367 firmware for me.
Sounded like a good dealer after all. Thanks for the update.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. The service manager today has always found it odd that Mazda doesn’t do 5w-30 synthetic. Was a good laugh about oils.

I recommend the Idemitsu 5w-30. Idemitsu makes (made?) the Mazda high moly 0w-20

71Yf-H2guNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back