Replace stock size wheels with stock size aftermarket?

:
2003 Protege5
Hi. I've got the stock 2003 chrome wheels and (new) tires. The chrome wheels are in poor shape, but haven't found any stock size replacements -- found plenty aftermarket other sizes that would require buying new tires, which I don't want to do.

So any recommendations for aftermarket wheels to fit my stock size tires? Open to whatever style or material is available. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Your stock wheels are 16x6 with an offset of +45. There are a lot of choices that will fit and look great on a Protege5. The Mazdaspeed Protege, for instance, came on 17x 7s from the factory.

The tires that came on the P5 have a 50 series sidewall. If you don't mind going down to 45, which is a little bit thinner (and also came stock on the MSP), then your speedometer will be perfect and a ton of 17" wheel choices open up for you.

If you wanna stay stock no matter what 16x6 with a +45 offset is your number. :)

photo ***** opportunity: here's my old P5 on 18x7.5s.

Attachments

• ord5.JPG
    ord5.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 195
Thanks. I'm finding the bolt pattern is not common, so between that and the wheel size in general I'm having a tough time finding replacements.

114.3 x 5 sorry I forgot that. Enkei RPF1 is one choice,
Bang for the buck, RPF1s are some of the best wheels you can get for the price. If those aren't nice enough, Volk Racing/RAYS makes more than one style of wheel that'll fit. If the Enkeis are too expensive there's always ebay stuff, but the wheels that came on the Protege aren't bad wheels. Pretty lightweight for what they are. I have a feeling you won't want to make you car slower, so you may want to pay attention to weight. The stock wheels are well under 18 pounds, more like 16 apiece if I remember correctly. I wouldn't want anything over 20.

The old rule of thumb when buying wheels:
Lightweight, cheap, strong. Pick two. 👍

Your stock wheels are 16x6 with an offset of +45. There are a lot of choices that will fit and look great on a Protege5. The Mazdaspeed Protege, for instance, came on 17x 7s from the factory.

The tires that came on the P5 have a 50 series sidewall. If you don't mind going down to 45, which is a little bit thinner (and also came stock on the MSP), then your speedometer will be perfect and a ton of 17" wheel choices open up for you.

If you wanna stay stock no matter what 16x6 with a +45 offset is your number. :)

photo ***** opportunity: here's my old P5 on 18x7.5s.
Man, those wheels look nice but the photo is pretty dark in the shade. Wish I could see it better. My P5 has the stock wheels, and they're OK; but they're getting a little long in the tooth, if you know what I mean. My car is the "horizon yellow" color. I'll check out those Enkei's.

You're right, that's a pretty bad pic. Here's a clearer one that still kinda sucks. lol.
Volk LE37T
114.3, 18x7.5 +48 offset, 215/40 tires.

Attachments

• AutoExe1.jpg
    AutoExe1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 125
Mazda3 and Mazda6 wheels use the same stud pattern and are a good option for an OEM look, just watch the offset isn't more than +50. These are 17" Mazda6 wheels:
20181110_183527.jpg

114.3 x 5 sorry I forgot that. Enkei RPF1 is one choice,
Bang for the buck, RPF1s are some of the best wheels you can get for the price. If those aren't nice enough, Volk Racing/RAYS makes more than one style of wheel that'll fit. If the Enkeis are too expensive there's always ebay stuff, but the wheels that came on the Protege aren't bad wheels. Pretty lightweight for what they are. I have a feeling you won't want to make you car slower, so you may want to pay attention to weight. The stock wheels are well under 18 pounds, more like 16 apiece if I remember correctly. I wouldn't want anything over 20.

The old rule of thumb when buying wheels:
Lightweight, cheap, strong. Pick two. 👍
Cries in cheap, light but very broken OZ racing wheels...

Just keep researching and find what you want to go to......after you finish wearing out the new tires on the car now. Then you can go with new tires on the new rims if they are different size and not waste the set you have now.

Man, those wheels look nice but the photo is pretty dark in the shade. Wish I could see it better. My P5 has the stock wheels, and they're OK; but they're getting a little long in the tooth, if you know what I mean. My car is the "horizon yellow" color. I'll check out those Enkei's.
You're right, that's a pretty bad pic. Here's a clearer one that still kinda sucks. lol.
Volk LE37T
114.3, 18x7.5 +48 offset, 215/40 tires.
Here's a cleaner photo of the original photo Natey posted.

Attachments

• Silver P5.jpg
    Silver P5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 124
+1 for factory mazda wheels. I’m running 17" miata wheels off an ‘07ish. Light, look decent, already have the mazda center caps, and can be had pretty cheap on the forums. lol

Back