What did you pay for your CX-5?

If it's something you're even remotely considering, even though most of us think it has little value, check with Ziebart directly on price. I'd like if you would make a phone call right now and post what they tell you just so we can see
Did you get an extended warranty on your Sig?

No, but I'm still looking into it. Going to get the Mazda product Plan written by Toyota. I want to call around and see who can get the best rate, I know I've heard of people getting around $1600 for a total of 7 years or so

I'd question the value of that. It is SOP in the industry to zinc hot dip the chassis. Steel body panels are zinc electroplated. I've owned a variety of vehicles from a variety of makers over several decades, ranging up to 150,000 and 14 years, driving in Chicago region and Buffalo region winters. I've never had a rust problem except for a silver dollar sized rust spot on the hood of a 1992 Expo common to that model, something rust proofing wouldn't have prevented anyway.

I don't think the person asking about these aftermarket treatments is about to DIY an undercarriage rust preventative. I don't believe he should pay for it either.

These are good DIY suggestions that a person of minimal skill can do without causing harm or spending a lot of money, just some time. If one is in the habit of taking their car to the car wash with some frequency, pay the extra buck or two for the undercarriage wash and a spritz of wax. That wax won't last very long but it gets you a quick shine like the other quick waxes. I'm a fan of NuFinish as noted earlier, but some folks are not into spending an afternoon debugging, detarring, washing, drying and applying. Truth be told, you could do nothing to the surface of a contemporary car other than wash it, then apply NuFinish or a good wax after 5 years, and it will look quite good.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. I'd continue the conversation but we'd be getting too far offtopic.

@Newbie_Liz, here's a link to a Car Care Thread that goes into a little more detail about maintaining the interior and exterior.

Has anyone started seeing the 2021 Mazda CX-5 on dealer sites yet? I saw on Reddit (4/CX5) someone in Canada posted one yesterday. Are there in certain regions now?

You pay TTL when you register your car. It would have been nicer to tuck in the TTL with the 0% Apr financing.
That's where I was confused, now I get it. You said $36,200 OTD, which means "out the door". So after TTL your OTD was closer to $38,000 - $39,000, as to be $$36,000 OTD would need to be less that $34,000 before TTL.

New first time Mazda owner here. Bought a 2020 CX-5 GTR in Sonic Silver this afternoon from Oak Lawn Mazda outside of Chicago. Traded in my 2016 Outback Limited. The Mazda is obviously much more fun to drive and better equipped.

MSRP $36,235 and negotiated a sale price of $33,367 after rebate. Took advantage of the 0% APR and got $500 rebate instead of $1500 if we'd done standard financing. Couldn't get anyone in the Chicagoland area to beat that selling price. Tried to get floor mats thrown in but was unsuccessful. A little surprised by that but I ultimately wanted the car and they let me buy the mats "at cost" instead of MSRP.

We were quite far apart on the trade in value initially but I held firm and they came up to my asking price of $17.5k. Overall I feel like we did pretty well today.

MSRP: $36,235
Selling Price: $33,867
Rebate: $500
Net Price: $33,367
Government Fee: $341
Doc Fee: $300
Total taxes: $2298.24

OTD at $36,306.24 before trade, amount financed $29,706.24 after trade (still owed about $10k on the Outback). Monthly payment of $495. How did we do?!

Last edited:
New first time Mazda owner here. Bought a 2020 CX-5 GTR in Sonic Silver this afternoon from Oak Lawn Mazda outside of Chicago. Traded in my 2016 Outback Limited. The Mazda is obviously much more fun to drive and better equipped.

MSRP $36,235 and negotiated a sale price of $33,367 after rebate. Took advantage of the 0% APR and got $500 rebate instead of $1500 if we'd done standard financing. Couldn't get anyone in the Chicagoland area to beat that selling price. Tried to get floor mats thrown in but was unsuccessful. A little surprised by that but I ultimately wanted the car and they let me buy the mats "at cost" instead of MSRP.

We were quite far apart on the trade in value initially but I held firm and they came up to my asking price of $17.5k. Overall I feel like we did pretty well today.

MSRP: $36,235
Selling Price: $33,867
Rebate: $500
Net Price: $33,367
Government Fee: $341
Doc Fee: $300
Total taxes: $2298.24

OTD at $36,306.24 before trade, amount financed $29,706.24 after trade (still owed about $10k on the Outback). Monthly payment of $495. How did we do?!
If you are happy with the deal then that's what matters. They made a ton off you though. At this point they should be giving them away for 6k below msrp which can be done if you know how to negotiate. 2021s are on lots and end of month and quarter are near.

If you are happy with the deal then that's what matters. They made a ton off you though. At this point they should be giving them away for 6k below msrp which can be done if you know how to negotiate. 2021s are on lots and end of month and quarter are near.
Not sure I agree they should be giving away at 6k under. There's not a lot of GTR inventory in my area. Why should a dealer give 16.5% off MSRP?! That would be $4k below invoice.

Not sure I agree they should be giving away at 6k under. There's not a lot of GTR inventory in my area. Why should a dealer give 16.5% off MSRP?! That would be $4k below invoice.

The dealer's actual cost is below invoice. Dealers make money on:

• Holdback (always)
  • Financing (unless a customer pays cash or brings their own financing)
  • Volume bonus (usually)
  • "Doc fee" (almost always)
  • Dealer-added accessories such as tint, nitrogen, interior/paint protection, etc. or manufacturer accessories (often)
  • Your trade (if there is one)
  • "Floor plan assistance" (money from the automaker that overs part, all, or more than the interest the dealer pays while a vehicle sits in inventory - sometimes)
  • "Paperwork errors" (charging more for certain taxes and fees than they actually cost - sometimes)
  • "Extended warranties", prepaid maintenance plans, GAP, and other forms of insurance (sometimes)
  • Factory-to-dealer rebates or advertised rebates that you didn't know about (sometimes)
  • Warranty repairs, maintenance, and out-of-warranty repairs (often)
  • Applying one off their allotted "friends and family" discounts to the sales (occasionally)

Most transactions yield the dealer thousands of dollars in profit even when they sell the vehicle at or below invoice. Occasionally, they'll let some go below their actual cost if it means qualifying for tens of thousands in volume bonuses for that month. Most of their profit is made in the finance office and after the sale or trade has been made.

I'm not saying you did bad (you didn't), but be aware that invoice is meaningless because that's not the dealer's actual cost. Most buyers (not saying you) don't know how to properly research vehicle pricing and up falling for at least some of the dealer's selling and profit-generating techniques and end up leaving thousands of dollars on the table. However, if every buyer paid as little as what most people in this thread have reported, the dealer wouldn't be able to afford remodels every several years with all the marble floors and multi-story showrooms and "free" Wi-Fi and popcorn and daycare, etc. :)

... Tried to get floor mats thrown in but was unsuccessful. A little surprised by that but I ultimately wanted the car and they let me buy the mats "at cost" instead of MSRP.

Floor mats are not an optional item. How much did they "sell" them to you for?

The dealer's actual cost is below invoice. Dealers make money on:

• Holdback (always)
  • Financing (unless a customer pays cash or brings their own financing)
  • Volume bonus (usually)
  • "Doc fee" (almost always)
  • Dealer-added accessories such as tint, nitrogen, interior/paint protection, etc. or manufacturer accessories (often)
  • Your trade (if there is one)
  • "Floor plan assistance" (money from the automaker that overs part, all, or more than the interest the dealer pays while a vehicle sits in inventory - sometimes)
  • "Paperwork errors" (charging more for certain taxes and fees than they actually cost - sometimes)
  • "Extended warranties", prepaid maintenance plans, GAP, and other forms of insurance (sometimes)
  • Factory-to-dealer rebates or advertised rebates that you didn't know about (sometimes)
  • Warranty repairs, maintenance, and out-of-warranty repairs (often)
  • Applying one off their allotted "friends and family" discounts to the sales (occasionally)

Most transactions yield the dealer thousands of dollars in profit even when they sell the vehicle at or below invoice. Occasionally, they'll let some go below their actual cost if it means qualifying for tens of thousands in volume bonuses for that month. Most of their profit is made in the finance office and after the sale or trade has been made.

I'm not saying you did bad (you didn't), but be aware that invoice is meaningless because that's not the dealer's actual cost. Most buyers (not saying you) don't know how to properly research vehicle pricing and up falling for at least some of the dealer's selling and profit-generating techniques and end up leaving thousands of dollars on the table. However, if every buyer paid as little as what most people in this thread have reported, the dealer wouldn't be able to afford remodels every several years with all the marble floors and multi-story showrooms and "free" Wi-Fi and popcorn and daycare, etc. :)
There are two essential facts frequently left out of these deal reports: (1) where the vehicle was purchased and (2) the trade deal. You can't pass judgement without knowing these things.

I've commented on these factors before but I'll give it another shot.

Leaving out the issues of expensive add-ons or accessories, price gouging on such, financing, yada, yada, which can be handled with a series of "no thanks", and focusing on actual dealer cost and manufactuer incentives, that can vary widely by region and dealer. I see recent deals posted here that include manufacturer cash backs, $1,500 I think I saw, that do not now and have never existed at least since late spring, maybe never, within 200 miles of where I live, maybe not within 450 miles reaching into NYC metro or maybe 90 miles to Toronto which would present a whole other set of difficulties for a US buyer including not being allowed to cross the border at this time.

Why might this be? Each of the dealers within 200 miles of where I live peaked out around
60 CX-5s in stock during showroom closings and they started dropping pretty quickly after reopening. When closed back in March they were advertising 8% of MSRP across the board. After reopening that disappeared, evidently a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive for a very difficult sales period. Right now the two dealers within 90 miles have a grand total of 70 2020 CX-5s in stock with no 2021s yet. Want a Signature? There is a grand total of one in stock. GT Reserve? There's two of those. Good luck with those. Want a FWD Sport on a budget? None. Right now they're pushing lease deals on AWD Sports. These Mazda shops are a minor sidelight at a superstore with a 1/2 dozen makes and other shops around the region. The other dealer has several shops with several makes.

How come? This market of around 2 million folks is predominated by domestic makes. There's a Ford stamping plant, a Chevy engine plant and a national top 3 Chevy dealer in town. The roads are filthy with GMC SUVs and those little subcompact Buick crossovers. The Chevy Traverse seems to be the favored mommy wagon.

I noticed a while back somebody posting a good deal in the LA area who claimed to have canvased every dealer within 100 miles. Just for yucks I just checked what inventories look like in LA county, a market one might say favors imports. I stopped at the second of a dozen dealers I looked at and it had 150 CX-5s in stock. There you have a very large market, competition among dealers, a market that likes imports, and evidently some high volume dealers.

The long and short is you cannot pass judgement on somebody's deal without knowing where it was signed among other factors. Dealer holdbacks and volume bonuses can vary widely as can manufacturer incentives.

That takes us to the trade among other sources of dealer profit. They might not make money on any aspect of the deal other than trade if you get out of the F&I office with a 0% from the manufacturer and a successful series of "no thanks" while dodging expensive add-ons like rust proofing or ceramic coatings or price gouged doc fees. They might deal on the MSRP down to cost and but find success in hard sells in the F&I office. Barring that, all of their profit may be in the trade. You simply cannot evaluate a deal without knowing the trade terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're my age, they don't "throw in" floor mats any more. They would literally have to write a check to the Parts department as Sales, Service, and parts are run like different shops. Other than cost it's no different than if you wanted any other item from the parts department that wasn't already on the car from the manufacturer

Zroger was over simpifying it. When I call on the phone, and say I'll give you $33,000 for a Signature (MSRP over $38,000) and they accept the offer, that was the price and not going to add the add-ons you mentioned such as tint or paint protection. That was my offer as the car sat on the lot, not adding mfg accessories. They didn't know if I was going to finance it, They and they sure aren't calculating in how much warranty work I'll be bringing them, and a trade was never discussed. To his point, we may not know holdback, bonus, quotas and such, but to add the profit on those dozen items you mentioned is a bit of an obfuscation

Last edited:
To his point, we may not know holdback, bonus, quotas and such, but to add the profit on those dozen items you mentioned is a bit of an obfuscation.
Those other factors are not obfuscations. They may not apply in your case, and they certainly have not applied in mine, but that's not everybody posting a deal in these pages. My point is that there are multiple prongs where dealers find profit and if you are not told all the elements of the deal it is unfair to criticize or laud it.

Anyway, back on point, I see you're in Phoenix. I just now googled Phoenix area Mazda dealers and the first thing that came up was Chapman Mazda. He's got 86 CX-5's in stock. That's more than within nearly 100 miles of my house. He's got 9 GT Reserves and Sigs, 6 more than within nearly 100 miles of my house. Chapman is advertising $3,000 off including $1,500 manufacturer cash, the starting point of a negotiation, with 0% financing to boot. I don't know if Chapman is the big dog in Phoenix or not, but he is one of 8 Mazda dealers within 15 miles of the center of town according to Google Maps. There may be others within easy reach. There may be others with larger inventories.

That kind of advertised price as a starting point never happened in my market except for the brief period when showrooms were shut down and a flat 8% off MSRP and 0% was adversitised without any mention of manufacturer cash--there was Mazda-to-dealer money at that time when nobody was buyin' nothin', cars or otherwise.

So, whatever obfuscations you may perceive, be assured: local market conditions, competition, inventories and sales volumes can have a significant affect from one locale to another. And yet, most deals posted here don't mention where the deal was written and the talk runs along the lines that everything pertains everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those other factors are not obfuscations. They may not apply in your case, and they certainly have not applied in mine, but that's not everybody posting a deal in these pages. My point is that there are multiple prongs where dealers find profit and if you are not told all the elements of the deal it is unfair to criticize or laud it.

Anyway, back on point, I see you're in Phoenix. I just now googled Phoenix area Mazda dealers and the first thing that came up was Chapman Mazda. He's got 86 CX-5's in stock. That's more than within nearly 100 miles of my house. He's got 9 GT Reserves and Sigs, 6 more than within nearly 100 miles of my house. Chapman is advertising $3,000 off including $1,500 manufacturer cash, the starting point of a negotiation, with 0% financing to boot. I don't know if Chapman is the big dog in Phoenix or not, but he is one of 8 Mazda dealers within 15 miles of the center of town according to Google Maps. There may be others within easy reach. There may be others with larger inventories.

That kind of advertised price as a starting point never happened in my market except for the brief period when showrooms were shut down and a flat 8% off MSRP and 0% was adversitised without any mention of manufacturer cash--there was Mazda-to-dealer money at that time when nobody was buyin' nothin', cars or otherwise.

So, whatever obfuscations you may perceive, be assured: local market conditions, competition, inventories and sales volumes can have a significant affect from one locale to another. And yet, most deals posted here don't mention where the deal was written and the talk runs along the lines that everything pertains everywhere.

When do you think these dealerships with +150 CX-5s will start trying to clear them? There's one in my local area with that many and about 7 of the same trims that I'm trying to buy. The lowest price I got quoted was $27,300 OTD from $29,305 MSRP for a CX-5 Touring with the preferred package, but that was for the Labor Day deal, which is now over. My assumption is that they'll start doing a fire sale of all the models once the 2021 models start rolling in the lot, and I'm aiming for the month/quarter-end in about a week or so to get a better deal.

Anyway, back on point, I see you're in Phoenix. I just now googled Phoenix area Mazda dealers and the first thing that came up was Chapman Mazda. He's got 86 CX-5's in stock. That's more than within nearly 100 miles of my house. He's got 9 GT Reserves and Sigs, 6 more than within nearly 100 miles of my house.
Yes, Chapman's pretty big with lots of dealership. I got mine at Mark Mazda. They have a considerably smaller inventory. That said, they gave me smokin' price on my Sig. of $33,093 all in including doc fee (on an MSRP $38,705) before TTL. They said something about being a newer Mazda dealer (thought they have several other name dealerships) they were given more leeway from Mazda, and to get a larger inventory they were willing to make a deal. Sounded like BS except that no one was able to come within $500 of it. So if you're serious, check them out.

My negotiation was actually no negotiation - simply a phone call, and I quote "I'll come in tomorrow morning if you can sell me the car for $32,495, plus I'll pay your $598 Doc fee, but not the Window Tint and Kahu Connected Car Asset Protection" I continued to tell them that I respect their position if they can't do that deal but that I'd need more time to think about it then. He called me back 10 minutes later and the deal was done. Now, that was back in April with $1,500 loyalty and $500 Healthcare worker, so I don't know that that's doable today.

Short story, I'd look at their inventory online and do the deal on the phone with a 'today price' of $500 less than your next best deal

The lowest price I got quoted was $27,300 OTD from $29,305 MSRP for a CX-5 Touring with the preferred package, but that was for the Labor Day deal, which is now over.

If your numbers are right I'd jump on that. If you're at $27,300 OTD, then assuming 8% tax, that means he's selling you the car at about $25,000. - nearly 15% off MSRP, I think it's safe to say we'd all kill for that deal

Back