Replace Stock Halogen with HID/LED Headlight Assembly?

:
New York
:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
Hi all,

Apologies if I missed a thread with info on this topic(would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me toward it), but so far I haven't found anyone who's actually tried it, just speculation.

I've got a '14 Touring with stock halogens and I'd like to upgrade the headlights. I know that HID retrofit kits are available inexpensively and work for the most part, but I'd really like to do this the "right" way if possible.

Has anyone tried/had success with replacing a stock halogen housing with either the 2013-2015 bi-xenon housing or the 2016 LED housing? Both of these seem to be relatively accessible on eBay. I know I'd also need to pick up some OEM ballasts if I went the bi-xenon route, but are there any other issues, or will it just work for the most part? I don't mind doing some custom wiring/spending a bit of time messing with a multimeter to get it to work if needed.

I know the bi-xenon lights have AFS(I think the LEDs do as well); I don't really care about AFS working(though if it's as simple as installing the AFS module and asking a dealer nicely to update the software, I'd consider it), but will it cause any issues if I leave it disconnected, or will the projectors just stay fixed in place?

Slightly related question, what are the 2016 LED DRL assemblies comprised of exactly? Are they bi-LED for the headlights/brights, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

In most, if not all, countries, LED bulbs are banned in ordinary halogen headlights

In most, if not all, countries, LED bulbs are banned in ordinary halogen headlights
I'm not interested in putting LED bulbs in the halogen housing. I'm talking about replacing the stock halogen assembly with the complete LED assembly offered as an option in 2016.

Reactions: BWJ
I'm not interested in putting LED bulbs in the halogen housing. I'm talking about replacing the stock halogen assembly with the complete LED assembly offered as an option in 2016.
I have stock halogens but I think they do a good enough job.

One thing I don't like is using the high beams for daytime running lights.

Back