New 2020 CX-9, burning smell

Hey All,

Took delivery of the car, put less than 1k km on it, and when I park the car in the garage all I smell is a burning rubber smell from it.

Is this part of the normal breaking process of a turbo engine car? Did any of you notice this in your new CX-9? Either way I'm calling the dealership on Monday to get an opinion but curious if you guys experienced a similar thing and if it went away afterwards.

Thanks!

Just how long have you had it? Ours smelled for the first 2-3 weeks most noticeable when parked in an enclosed space. In my case it was just the various coatings being burned off as the car went through the heat and cool cycles. I suspect yours is the same.

Just how long have you had it? Ours smelled for the first 2-3 weeks most noticeable when parked in an enclosed space. In my case it was just the various coatings being burned off as the car went through the heat and cool cycles. I suspect yours is the same.

Heh - 2/3 weeks good sir. Since Aug 1, so exactly at that mark.

How long did it take to get it from noticeable to indifferent.

My brakes or something were a bit burny smelling for the first 40-60km or so. So was the test drive CX-9 I took out. Seems normal to me.

Same here, my 2019 GT FWD had a burning smell under the hood for the first couple months of ownership after driving it. After that point it went away never to return.

My new 2020 has that smell. The dealer made me aware of it as he was doing the walkthrough with me. Something about the engine breaking in and that it would go away after a few weeks.

Same thing, 2019. Dealer warned me. Sorry I can't recall how long it stayed.

Just noticed you mentioned it was detectable when you have it in garage, which I had same.

But I also noticed it from inside car while driving, not sure what that might mean in terms of source but maybe check for that on a drive before speaking to the dealer.

Just noticed you mentioned it was detectable when you have it in garage, which I had same.

But I also noticed it from inside car while driving, not sure what that might mean in terms of source but maybe check for that on a drive before speaking to dealer.

I am still breathing the (toxic) smell of new car. So not detectable when driving.

I will take it out today for a bit. But so far the community has noted some funk for the first few months which will eventually go away, which is good.

As he said. Mine (2019) went about a month, wife barely noticed it but I tend to be slightly more sensitive and attentive when it comes to smells. Was worse with the heater/HVAC on as it was late fall (November ending) so the HVAC brought it into the cabin. It was however never very intense except for the first few days.

I am still breathing the (toxic) smell of new car. So not detectable when driving.

I will take it out today for a bit. But so far the community has noted some funk for the first few months which will eventually go away, which is good.
Any new vehicle will have this...It’s the wax coating applied to brand new engines to protect them from corrosion while being shipped at sea for few months. Eventually the wax coating burns off thus the smell dissipates after a few thousand Kms...Not sure if you noticed during delivery but the tires are also inflated to 40+psi (to avoid flat spots for sitting in barges for months at sea).

Back