Hey guys, new to the P5 community...AC rattle?

Hey all I've recently purchased my first vehicle, a 2002 Mazda protege5 5spd. I'm super stoked on it. It's a lot of fun to rip back and fourth to work.

I know very little about mechanics but I'm excited to learn. Yesterday I changed the spark plugs for the first time by myself as I had a check engine light for cyl 2 misfire code. I through in all new spark plugs and put the wires back on the battery, fired it up and the check engine light was off. All seems to be well although it seems to be idling a little rough now at stop lights here and there.

I just ordered valve cover gasket and timing belt kit. Hopefully I'll be able to handle that one okay with my degree in YouTube mechanics.

Anyway when I turn on the a/c past 2 it rattles really loudly within the dash. Sounds like a fan or something. Anybody know about this issue and of there's anything I could do to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_151343.jpg
    IMG_20200620_151343.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 198
... All seems to be well although it seems to be idling a little rough now at stop lights here and there.
That's just your IAC relearning how to idle your car.
It takes about 100 miles of driving to get it right.

Anyway when I turn on the a/c past 2 it rattles really loudly within the dash. Sounds like a fan or something. Anybody know about this issue and of there's anything I could do to fix it?
You could have just sucked something into your HVAC unit.
(I get leaves and maple keys rattling around.)

Can you post a sound clip?
It would help a lot to hear it.

You can remove your blower motor and vacuum out any crap.

Last edited:
I just ordered valve cover gasket and timing belt kit. Hopefully I'll be able to handle that one okay with my degree in YouTube mechanics.

Here's a How-To for replacing the timing belt.

Here's a How-To for replacing the timing belt.

Awesome thanks a lot man, I've been watching all the protege 2.0L timing belt videos. This will be helpful

Don't forget to replace your water pump while you're in there if it didn't come with your kit and your accessory belts too. (They're cheap)

I paid ~$400 CAD for all the parts.
I was quoted $1600 at the shop. (not including the water pump or accessory belts.)

Hey guy I'm trying to upload a video of my a/c rattle. Video started off at 30 seconds, then 20, then 10 and it's saying it's still to long. Any advice on uploading videos here?

I hope it had the spring for the idler pulley.

You should think about the water pump and belts too.

EDIT... Yeah, I see the water pump now...

Also, you might want to skip the seals.
They're difficult to install and some guys have to replace them yearly now because they keep leaking.

If they're not broken don't fix them.

Last edited:
Hey guy I'm trying to upload a video of my a/c rattle. Video started off at 30 seconds, then 20, then 10 and it's saying it's still to long. Any advice on uploading videos here?

You may have to post on at youtube and post a link.?

Is it these two screws on either side to remove the glove boxs and some wires possibly need to be disconnected?

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_131713.jpg
    IMG_20200712_131713.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 190
Back