Fuel Injector Cleaning

20k miles on my 2018 Grand Touring. Had oil/filter, standard checks done last week. The only recommendation was to have fuel injectors cleaned. Is this something most are doing at 20k miles or overkill by my dealership?

Ah, the money grabbing blood suckers known as dealer service departments are alive and well.
Did they also recommend a cabin filter, brake service, front end alignment, new wiper blades, engine flush and fresh air in the tires?

Not that I've heard, but using gas with cleaner in it, Top Tier quality, and maybe at 20k put a bottle of Techron injector cleaner s a good idea.
Other wise, unless you have drivablity issues I doubt it needs a special 'procedure'.
Do you have to try more than once to start it and keep it running?
Does it stumble or hesitate when you pull out?
Does it seem to surge driving on the highway?

Ah, the money grabbing blood suckers known as dealer service departments are alive and well.
Did they also recommend a cabin filter, brake service, front end alignment, new wiper blades, engine flush and fresh air in the tires?
Ah yes, dirty air in tire will create rotational mass and increase rolling resistance. I usually would do during major 30k service.

20k miles on my 2018 Grand Touring. Had oil/filter, standard checks done last week. The only recommendation was to have fuel injectors cleaned. Is this something most are doing at 20k miles or overkill by my dealership?
I wouldn't buy into their recommendation. Rule of thumb is to refer to MAZDA's guideline for maintaining your vehicle. For all we know the fuel injectors cleaning is probably emptying a bottle of Chevron fuel system treatment which you can do it yourself for $7.

For all we know the fuel injectors cleaning is probably emptying a bottle of Chevron fuel system treatment which you can do it yourself for $7.
Exactly.
I doubt very much that they would go to the trouble of actually pulling the injectors out and cleaning them properly, especially at only 20k miles.
That would be a huge (and expensive) job.

Quality fuel treatment product.. unless an injector is actually clogged, anything else is extra. I recommend G2P (guaranteed to pass) as it cleans into the cat as well (and 02 sensor)

Thanks everyone. Your responses are what I expected. I did not have it done. My CX-5 running great. Zero issues since I got it, except for the recall on the cylinder issue.

Here's Mazda's official word on fuel injector cleaning:

1594149064251.png

Forget about fuel injector cleaning. Add a bottle of detergent into your gas. That is good enough. What I would want to do is to clean the intake valves.... DI has this carbon deposit issue. Better on Skyactiv, but not totally clean. I have seen owners who took the header off.... walnut blasting... no one is providing that service around here.... many did it for Lexus-IS (older models). New Lexus engines have dual injectors. One is DI, and the other is port injector to clean the intake valves.

⋯ New Lexus engines have dual injectors. One is DI, and the other is port injector to clean the intake valves.
The same on all Toyota’s vehicle with Dynamic Force 2.5L and 2.0L hybrid. I wonder when Mazda would add dual injections to its engines to eliminate the problem on valve carbon deposit by DI.

Forget about fuel injector cleaning. Add a bottle of detergent into your gas. That is good enough. What I would want to do is to clean the intake valves.... DI has this carbon deposit issue. Better on Skyactiv, but not totally clean. I have seen owners who took the header off.... walnut blasting... no one is providing that service around here.... many did it for Lexus-IS (older models). New Lexus engines have dual injectors. One is DI, and the other is port injector to clean the intake valves.

Does this go for the Turbo model too?

I've always put Fuel Injector cleaner in my 2-3 times a year but I've never owned a turbo so I don't know if it will impact it in any negative way?

Thx.

Toyota’s direct and port injection system will switch and utilize the better method based on driving conditions as well. The presence of port injectors isn’t just for cleaning which I thought was pretty nifty.

You can put a can of crc valve cleaner into the pcv/vacuum and intake before oil changes and you can minimize if not eliminate cooked oil on valves (in my skyactiv experience). I never have deposits like I see people showing online (they never did head cleaning maintenance). At most I have a film of oil which is normal.

Does it spray in? Which pcv/vacuum do you put it in?
You can put a can of crc valve cleaner into the pcv/vacuum and intake before pil changes and you can minimize if not eliminate coked oil on valves (in my skyactiv experience). I never have deposits like i see people showing online (they never did head cleaning maintenece). At most I have a film of oil which is normal.

Notice Mazda's wording "does not improve engine performance". That is not the same as saying using fuel injector treatments in your gas does not prevent degradation of performance over time.
Use top tier gas only. Add a bottle of Techron to the tank about 500 miles prior to each oil change. Use only synthetic oil with a low sulfated ash content (Mobil 1 EP is highly rated and reasonably priced) and don't stretch oil changes beyond 5000 miles even though the oil is probably good for 7500. These practices will help keep the injectors clean and minimize the buildup of deposits on the valves. Do an Italian Tuneup once a month as well. The Skyactiv engines including the turbo versions are establishing themselves as one the the best and most reliable on today's market, especially if maintained properly.

Does it spray in? Which pcv/vacuum do you put it in?
Chris_Top_Her has installed a catch can. It’s very easy to spray CRC valve cleaner into the PVC line with catch can installed:

Chris_Top_Her has installed a catch can. It’s very easy to spray CRC valve cleaner into the PVC line with catch can installed:
My can and its lines are out of reach. I use the vacuum line off the pump where there Is (factory) and elbow that leads to the throttle body or maybe its the IC. Point being you want it in a line that leads towards the pcv/pump not just into the intake manifold. I'll upload a pic later

Back