OEM CX-5 Side Rails vs. Aftermarket

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Figured this would help someone.

I wanted the side rails (and getting the cross bars too) as I feel it completes the look. IMO it makes it look both sporty and SUV-ish at the same time I got a great price from an an online Mazda dealer who was local. - You know it's a good price when 2 other dealers parts dept couldn't match it.

These barely lined up with the Mounting screw holes and I had to slightly pull on one of them to get it to line up. So my point is that if these just barely lined up, I'm not sure how the aftermarket Chinese ones, at only $100, will fit. Maybe you've had good luck, but just a heads up for anyone looking to add these.
YMMV

Figured this would help someone.

I wanted the side rails (and getting the cross bars too) as I feel it completes the look. IMO it makes it look both sporty and SUV-ish at the same time I got a great price from an an online Mazda dealer who was local. - You know it's a good price when 2 other dealers parts dept couldn't match it.

These barely lined up with the Mounting screw holes and I had to slightly pull on one of them to get it to line up. So my point is that if these just barely lined up, I'm not sure how the aftermarket Chinese ones, at only $100, will fit. Maybe you've had good luck, but just a heads up for anyone looking to add these.
YMMV

Hi hal2, these are OEM roof rails you got? Would you happen to have the part number?

*unavailable* looks like the seller was doing drop shipping from China and quickly realized that is a hassle when Amazon is involved.

time to go more direct:

little worried about ordering from China directly? Ebay protections might be for you

there is a non silver version on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Do not bother with the aftermarket rails and cross bars. Installed them Monday on my 19 signature. Went to the lake today with the kayaks and had the Cross bars fail. They are not quality aluminum that is for sure
58A6E81A-0D41-4625-8D30-D496C1DC603E.jpeg
E41A1F6C-DF18-47A6-909C-AB0EAC757011.jpeg
BA16C01B-D4C0-4755-9F93-DA17C696D43F.jpeg
BAFB38E4-AC31-4547-BC10-FEACD9C7D6B2.jpeg

@IamMurphy did the rails and cross bars fail or just the cross bars? from the pictures is seems like the rails held OK.. but the cross bars definitely had a bad day.

The podiums are no longer sitting flat to the rails on the passenger side. I emailed the seller, they are telling me the cross bars are only good for 45 kg ( 99 pounds ) meanwhile they don't list it in their ad. It came with official Mazda instructions that showed 74.8 kg ( 165 pounds ) in the box. They asked if i wanted to receive replacement tubes but with the podium no longer sitting level to the rails I will need a full replacement to have confidence in loading anything on ti again and am waiting on a response.

If i hadn't of checked when I did it the kayak carrier would have made contact with the sunroof and the roof of the vehicle. I am lucky it wasn't worse but am extremely frustrated.

So the failure of the cross bar then pulled the roof rails inward.. this makes sense. Technically speaking I don't think the roof rails failed independently .. but they are now out of alignment due to the stress placed on them by the pull force inward by the failed cross bars.

The roof rails are pretty solid (even my aftermarket ones). Are you sure it hasn't bent the roof metal and/or mount points? (Sucks, I know)

The roof rails are pretty solid (even my aftermarket ones). Are you sure it hasn't bent the roof metal and/or mount points? (Sucks, I know)

Not 100% sure but the roof seems to be fine. May just be the cross bar mount its self. Regardless to trust it all needs to be replaced.

Seller has agreed to full replace it. Will advise once i receive and go from there.

I am usually a firm believer of OEM unless its an aftermarket upgrade and through my idiotic thinking decided to purchase the aftermarket set because I wanted the black rails. Thought its just a piece of aluminum how can you possibly mess it up. Boy was I wrong on that.

That does suck. Maybe for two boats some kind of Thule crossbars or something would be better.

I bought some 'OEM style' crossbars for my Saturn VUE and I lost one on the street. I bought some steel angle pieces from Ace hardware and reinforced them as the end connectors were all plastic.

I think I will add a chunk of foam under mine to protect the roof in case of something like this.

I am usually a firm believer of OEM unless its an aftermarket upgrade and through my idiotic thinking decided to purchase the aftermarket set because I wanted the black rails.

As seen on my other posts, I took a rattle can of rustoleum primer and black to my aluminum colored one. Nice easy weekend or afternoon project

Back