Oil change drama

My cX5 also says only 0w-20 as well as my Toyota Land Cruiser 2017.
694D5F92-105E-46C6-94C7-C140A9317CC1.jpeg

4D9E026B-BFFB-453A-ABB5-D21B42330685.jpeg

I had my first oil change today, didn't ask for any specific oil when I left the car. The invoice says they used 5W20. Gas, non turbo.

There is nothing wrong with using the 5w30 dino oil in your turbo. Changed at the manufactures recommded intervals the engine will probably lasy 200,000+ miles. While I would use a Synthetic, it is not necessary with modern oils that meets specs. Somethimes we overthink and rant about what we don't understand. However; since you asked for synthetic and didn''t get it, the dealer lied about it and should be reported to the distrik manager. Ed

I had my first oil change today, didn't ask for any specific oil when I left the car. The invoice says they used 5W20. Gas, non turbo.
While 0W-20 oil is recommended to your 2.5L non-turbo in the US, and you can question your Mazda dealer about why the usage of 5W-20 oil, but the viscosity is fine to your 2.5L. See the oil viscosity chart used worldwide by Mazda for 2.5L posted in post #61 above.

While 0W-20 oil is recommended to your 2.5L non-turbo in the US, and you can question your Mazda dealer about why the usage of 5W-20 oil, but the viscosity is fine to your 2.5L. See the oil viscosity chart used worldwide by Mazda for 2.5L posted in post #61 above.
Yeah, I saw that chart. Still want to know why they chose to use 5W20 instead of 0W20. Did they not have any 0W20 available? Did they use 5W20 because it's summer?

There is nothing wrong with using the 5w30 dino oil in your turbo. Changed at the manufactures recommded intervals the engine will probably lasy 200,000+ miles. While I would use a Synthetic, it is not necessary with modern oils that meets specs. Somethimes we overthink and rant about what we don't understand. However; since you asked for synthetic and didn''t get it, the dealer lied about it and should be reported to the distrik manager. Ed
While your saying about conventional oil can be true, but based on recent history and class-action lawsuit of oil sludge issue on VW / Audi 1.8T turbo caused by cooked conventional 5W-30 oil from oil feed line to the turbo charger, I’d never use not-much-cheaper conventional oil on any turbo engines.

Yeah, I saw that chart. Still want to know why they chose to use 5W20 instead of 0W20. Did they not have any 0W20 available? Did they use 5W20 because it's summer?
The only reason your Mazda dealer used 5W-20 oil is it’s cheaper when they purchased the 5W-20 oil in bulk. Also there’re more conventional or blend oils in 5W-20 viscosity than 0W-20. Finding out if the 5W-20 oil your dealer used to your 2.5L is full synthetic、blend、or conventional, and what brand, IMO, is more important. If it turns out to be not full-synthetic, may be you should consider to change the oil a bit earlier, say 5,000 miles instead of 7,500 miles, next time.

I just spoke with the service advisor, he checked what he called the "tech notes" and the notes show 0W20 oil was used. So apparently an error by the service advisor in transcribing the notes from the technician to the customer invoice. They put a little sticker in the upper left part of the windshield as a reminder for the next oil change and it did reference 0W20.

The only thing that tells the real story is the oil that was billed to the service order. That bookkeeping must be accurate. If the "parts" used included the 0W-20, then he told you the truth. If the oil billed was something different, then he lied to make you smile and go away.

Does the little sticker show the the honest requirement for your next oil change, the time and mileage from your owner's manual, or is it another lie with a shorter time? Follow the owner's manual.

The incompetents I bought our car from offer the first oil change free. The Mrs. made the appointment, took the car in, waited the hour, was called to get the car, and drove it home. I asked to see the paperwork they gave her. No paperwork. What! I checked the dipstick. The oil was dirty and a half quart low. They never touched the car. I called back, happened to speak with the same service writer. He said that he remembered the car and told me that they had certainly changed the oil and filter. I asked him to check the service order and tell me what oil and filter were billed to that job. He got really quiet. Oops. They actually had forgotten to change the oil. (At least they didn't drain it and forget to refill it.) He said to bring it right back for a free oil change. Right......

Does the little sticker show the the honest requirement for your next oil change, the time and mileage from your owner's manual, or is it another lie with a shorter time? Follow the owner's manual.
The little sticker showed a mileage based on 5000mi service interval which is what I had set up in the computer.

The incompetents I bought our car from offer the first oil change free. The Mrs. made the appointment, took the car in, waited the hour, was called to get the car, and drove it home. I asked to see the paperwork they gave her. No paperwork. What! I checked the dipstick. The oil was dirty and a half quart low. They never touched the car. I called back, happened to speak with the same service writer. He said that he remembered the car and told me that they had certainly changed the oil and filter. I asked him to check the service order and tell me what oil and filter were billed to that job. He got really quiet. Oops. They actually had forgotten to change the oil. (At least they didn't drain it and forget to refill it.) He said to bring it right back for a free oil change. Right......
This makes my blood boil, as I have had the exact same experience, twice, with different vehicles, different times.
One was at an independent shop, the other at a Ford dealership.
Both times I was charged for the work, and the vehicles had been moved.
Neither time was the oil and filter actually replaced.
What was all the more enraging was the attempted cover-ups.
Skating and dancing around the issue, even when caught red handed.
I would have been somewhat forgiving if they had just come out and admitted they tried to screw me over, and then did the oil change for free...but no. In both cases they continued with the BS.
I still get riled up about this after 20 years.

What I find annoying is not the dollar value but rather the lack of integrity that could compromise the durability and eventually the safety of the vehicle and ultimately the passenger s.

What I find annoying is not the dollar value but rather the lack of integrity that could compromise the durability and eventually the safety of the vehicle and ultimately the passengers.
Exactly.
If the customer was not diligent on this matter, then the vehicle would have been driven on the old oil for twice as long as it should have.
For the sake of screwing the client over for a few bucks, they put the vehicle at risk of premature engine wear and possible future failure.
No scruples anymore. What the hell is wrong with people.

MY CX5 states on the oil fill cap 0w20 for my non turbo. I don't know of any MAZDA that recommends 5w20. I am fairly sure that 0w20 is at least a Blend and probably a full synthetic. A 5w20 is usually a standard oil, ie less costly. Ed

I was at the dealer yesterday getting my PCM reflashed for CD recall and I asked the service manager if the 0W-20 oil they use for their free oil & filter changes is full synthetic. His reply was it is a blend, you need to pay extra for full synthetic.

I’m going to stick with my DIY oil changes.

Back