Need 2015 Mazda5 Sport stock stereo head unit wiring diagram

:
2015 Mazda 5 Sport
I recently purchased the car (2015 Mazda 5 Sport) used and would like to add a screen, the rear view camera, and GPS by replacing its stock head unit with an android one.

I assume the pinout are the same for 2012-2015 sport trims but maybe not. If anyone can share a wiring diagram including their meanings and the wire colors, pin positions, it will be super helpful. I am also trying to learn if the wires from the steering wheel button controls can be directly connected to the android unit without an interface or decoder.

The android head unit model number is 7918 and the input/output are shown below:

Front_back.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I have the harness, just need the stock wiring diagram to know which wire from the harness should be connected to the radio hardness. For that I need the stock wiring diagram.
I have checked with the vendor, this android based radio I purchased does not require the interface for steering control.
This radio has simple antenna plug (not powered) so the adapter is not needed.

This radio has simple antenna plug (not powered) so the adapter is not needed.
In my case, the adapter for the antenna that comes with the android stereo does require additional power.
What kind of antenna do you have on the roof? Is it AM/FM or AM/FM+sirius?

In my case, the adapter for the antenna that comes with the android stereo does require additional power.
What kind of antenna do you have on the roof? Is it AM/FM or AM/FM+sirius?
Thanks. You are right. My antenna is powered and the Metra dash kit I bought has the antenna hardness with the blue wire for power. If I can't find the blue wire from the radio power cable, I will just hook it up with 12v acc.

If I can't find the blue wire from the radio power cable, I will just hook it up with 12v acc.
Check out the pinout of your android stereo carefully, there should be at least 1 blue wire labeled ANT or something like that, this is the one you're looking for. Be very careful with the harness, double-check the power supply, as the Chinese have no standard for their "wide" pin connector.

Can you please help me identify the connectors of my stock stereo? Mazda 5 2014 touring with XM Sirius, I'm a bit confused. I assume, the square 4 pin connector is the Sirius antenna? What is the name of this connector? And the 12-pin connector next to it - I assume it's the AUX+USB, is this correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_200012.jpg
    IMG_20200415_200012.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20200415_194940.jpg
    IMG_20200415_194940.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 411
Can you please help me identify the connectors of my stock stereo? Mazda 5 2014 touring with XM Sirius, I'm a bit confused. I assume, the square 4 pin connector is the Sirius antenna? What is the name of this connector? And the 12-pin connector next to it - I assume it's the AUX+USB, is this correct?

The dark colored top socket in the first photo is for the powered antenna. The pin inside that small rectangle is for receiving the antenna pin, and the pin next to the square is for the blue wire (12v). Metra has an adapter for it (40-HD10). It's not proprietary adapter. Metra's adapter comes with a label saying it fits Honda 2005 and up. I don't think there is a name for this harness. It just says "Vehicle antenna adapter cable".

I believe you are correct about the aux+USB harness being the 12-pin harness which is likely proprietary. The android radio comes with its own USB cable and a separate aux-in cable (part of the AV input/output harness). it's going to be fun finding that adapter that can connect the stock aux+usb harness and the radio. My goal is not to damage the stock equipment but if it is the only way I will have to cut it off or just leave those ports defunct.

Or replace the whole thing:
113340921628 on ebay
But it will still need a 3.5mm to RCA L+R adapter to connect to the android radio.

Last edited:
Or replace the whole thing:
113340921628 on ebay
But it will still need a 3.5mm to RCA L+R adapter to connect to the android radio.
As far as I remember, the original USB connector is similar to "dupont 5 pin" or "CRJ 5 pin", most probably, this one might work: https://amzn.to/2xvkADo - this is wrong.
Another advice: check the harness that goes to 12 pin connector, there's a pair of connectors on it, to the left when you remove the radio. You can probably unplug it there and connect USB there, might need this: https://amzn.to/2KaJY3S

Last edited:
As far as I remember, the original USB connector is similar to "dupont 5 pin" or "CRJ 5 pin", most probably, this one might work: https://amzn.to/2xvkADo
Another advice: check the harness that goes to 12 pin connector, there's a pair of connectors on it, to the left when you remove the radio. You can probably unplug it there and connect USB there, might need this: https://amzn.to/2KaJY3S

Thanks. I will run some bench test with the stock unit and the aux/usb pin to confirm and see if I can just grab one of those adapters or start thinking of adding the aux adapter and a USB hub (lol) so the android stereo will be able to support more USB ports (plan to have two dashcams and a hidden USB port for music storage with the new head unit).

Today I received the head unit (android 7918) in the mail and start connecting the wires. Here is what I have so far:

IMG_20200418_210358961.jpg

The orange harness on the left will be connected to the console wiring. The black harness on the right will connect to the head unit.

One question: Should the blue wire from the orange harness connect to the blue wire of the black harness that goes into the radio? Do I also connect the blue wire from the antenna adapter (not shown in the photo) to it? I am a bit confused on which blue wire needs power and which provides power.

I will remove the stock unit and check the console wiring tomorrow. It would be strange that the console wiring has two blue wire (from the harness and from the stock antenna adapter). It makes more sense to me that the blue wire from the console wiring provides power, and the blue wire from the stock antenna adapter requires power to boost the antenna signal. But if that is the case, then I should connect the blue wire from the orange harness to the blue wire of the antenna adapter and totally bypass the radio (leave the blue wire from the black harness hanging).

Last edited:
The blue wire from the stereo connects to the antenna adapter's blue wire - that's for sure.
The stereo, when on, will provide 12v on that wire.
Judging from a picture and model reference you posted, you have a МТ/АС8227L-based head unit.
4pda.ru has a topic on that (use google translate), here you can find the full pinout.

I'm attaching a picture of my harness, note the canbus adapter. Since canbus adapter is used, there's no need to hook up key1 or key2 to anywhere to make the steering wheel buttons work - they will be activated via canbus. Same will apply for the rearview camera - it will be activated by canbus signal, not by 12v on "back" wire.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_100904.jpg
    IMG_20200419_100904.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20200419_100913.jpg
    IMG_20200419_100913.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I believe you are correct about the aux+USB harness being the 12-pin harness which is likely proprietary. The android radio comes with its own USB cable and a separate aux-in cable (part of the AV input/output harness). it's going to be fun finding that adapter that can connect the stock aux+usb harness and the radio. My goal is not to damage the stock equipment but if it is the only way I will have to cut it off or just leave those ports defunct.
What do you think about the third connector from the top on the first photo?
Is it Sirius antenna or USB connector? Now that I've found this: https://amzn.to/2VBXFOC I'm in doubt.

What do you think about the third connector from the top on the first photo?
Is it Sirius antenna or USB connector? Now that I've found this: https://amzn.to/2VBXFOC I'm in doubt.

Still no idea but I did the install today and took this photo showing that connector:
IMG_20200421_072128356.jpg

This USB adapter looks to be the same:

I am going to order the following and replace the stock one.

Here is my wiring (top from left to right: antenna adapter, stock wiring harness, rear view camera; bottom left to right: antenna on the radio, AV input/output on the radio, ISO connector on the radio, and rear view camera on the radio).
Wiring.jpg

The radio works better than I expected: Radio, GPS, Bluetooth (phone and music streaming), local file player, wifi, google play store all worked. The only thing that is not working is my steering wheel control - I was hoping connecting the KEY2 wire (from radio) to ground and KEY1 from radio to SW1 on stocking wiring will do the trick like in other discussion thread indicated but the steering wheel setting did not take it. Have to wait my second Metra harness arrive to move the pin/wire over and try again.

Here is the system info of my unit:
IMG_20200421_081956171.jpg

Todo:
- get the steering wheel learning to work
- install the rear view camera
- test the OBD2 bluetooth dongle

Last edited:
I was hoping connecting the KEY2 wire (from radio) to ground and KEY1 from radio to SW1 on stocking wiring will do the trick like in other discussion thread indicated but the steering wheel setting did not take it.
Steering wheel buttons are defined by the resistance between KEY1 and GND or KEY2 and GND.
In other words, don't connect KEY2 to GND. Try KEY1 to 1N (steering switch). KEY2 is usually not used or used for a separate set of buttons, i.e., cluster buttons on some cars. Maybe, in this case, KEY2 should be connected to 1P (steering switch).

What about the CAN bus adapter? As I understand, it's required to provide information output to the clock dashboard. Did you try connect CAN_L and CAN_H to 1K (UART-1) and 1M (UART-2)? And more importantly, did it work?

I'm also trying to understand, where the Sirius antenna is connected at the stock radio, as I was planning to disassemble the antenna on the roof, remove the Sirius antenna and solder in the GPS antenna as I did before with other cars (and it worked great).

Steering wheel buttons are defined by the resistance between KEY1 and GND or KEY2 and GND.
In other words, don't connect KEY2 to GND. Try KEY1 to 1N (steering switch). KEY2 is usually not used or used for a separate set of buttons, i.e., cluster buttons on some cars. Maybe, in this case, KEY2 should be connected to 1P (steering switch).

What about the CAN bus adapter? As I understand, it's required to provide information output to the clock dashboard. Did you try connect CAN_L and CAN_H to 1K (UART-1) and 1M (UART-2)? And more importantly, did it work?

I'm also trying to understand, where the Sirius antenna is connected at the stock radio, as I was planning to disassemble the antenna on the roof, remove the Sirius antenna and solder in the GPS antenna as I did before with other cars (and it worked great).

My head unit did not come with canbus or a harness for it. I wouldn't know if the hardware is built in to support it. I will try connecting key2 with sw2 and see if it works.

I never used Sirius so I am the wrong person to answer about the antenna connections. One thing I would try, if I ever want to place my GPS antena with the FM antenna on the roof, is by wrapping aluminium foil on one of them and see if the FM radio works.

Last edited:
Update: steering wheel control works beautifully now. Here is the mistake I made and how it was corrected:

Mazda 24pin pinout diagram ( I can't find the mazda 5 one for 2nd gen. so had to assume all Mazda 24pin harness share the same pinouts)

wiring_diagram_2.jpg

There are wires from the console 1N and 1P for steering wheel control. My wiring started to work after I connect 1P to the ground wire and 1N to KEY1 of the android stereo. KEY2 wire from the radio is left unconnected.

What did not work before (I lack of logical thinking lol) was I connected the KEY2 wire from the radio to the ground thinking the radio will need it in order to detect the resistance from KEY1 and left the 1P (from console) unconnected, which is wrong.

Back