Oil Change on new car?

So I bought a new 2019 CX-5 around New Years. I didn't think about asking when the oil was last changed. I'm guessing that the dealer had the car since mid to late 2018 so it's at least 1 or 1 and a half years old. If a new car had been in the lot for quite some time, do they change the oil? Or is the car way too new to be worrying about it? I've had the car for three months now and has around 700 miles on it and about 80-90% in the city with lot of stops. Does the infotainment system say when the oil was last changed? I don't drive the car a lot so I will be changing the oil based on time.

You can call the dealer and ask them. Didn't they give you a new car check list when you took delivery?
Based on your driving the oil should be changed at 5,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.
Since yours sat around for a year I'm not sure if that would constitute 12 months or do they mean 12 months of driving. When in doubt change it.

No, the infotainment doesn't say when it was changed but if it was changed when you took delivery and the dealer reset the oil change frequency it may say something like 4,300 miles to next change.
That would tell you it was changed when you picked it up and since you put 700 miles on it see what the miles to change is. It's in the Maintenance section of the infotainment menu.

That doesn't preclude the dealer from just going in and resetting the oil change monitor without doing an actual change.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about getting a check list and this oil thing is something that just occurred to me. I can definitely see them resetting the oil change without actually doing it so I will change it.

While I can't say what your dealer has done for sure. I'd bet good money that they did not change the oil in your 2019 before you took delivery. In my opinion the oil did not need to be changed anyway. Yes, it was a year or more old but that's a brand new engine and the oil has never had a chance to get 'dirty'. You're fine. Change it after you've put 5k miles on it.

So I bought a new 2019 CX-5 around New Years.
I'm guessing that the dealer had the car since mid to late 2018 so it's at least 1 or 1 and a half years old. If a new car had been in the lot for quite some time, do they change the oil?
I don't drive the car a lot so I will be changing the oil based on time.
You bought a NEW vehicle from the dealer.
It is a guaranteed 100% certainty that they did NOT change the oil before selling it to you.

And why do you assume the car was 1.5 years old when you bought it???
All you need to do is take 5 seconds to look at the sticker on the inside drivers door frame.
The manufacture date is clearly printed on the sticker.

I think you are foolish if you think the dealer would change the oil on a new vehicle, just because it is 1+ years old since manufactured. The one year in my opinion starts when the owner buys the vehicle and drives off. Don't over think this. Just drive to the prescribed service interval be it 5 or 7.5K miles or time. Ed

So I bought a new 2019 CX-5 around New Years. I didn't think about asking when the oil was last changed. I'm guessing that the dealer had the car since mid to late 2018 so it's at least 1 or 1 and a half years old. If a new car had been in the lot for quite some time, do they change the oil? Or is the car way too new to be worrying about it? I've had the car for three months now and has around 700 miles on it and about 80-90% in the city with lot of stops. Does the infotainment system say when the oil was last changed? I don't drive the car a lot so I will be changing the oil based on time.
What does the Maintenance Monitor in infotainment say in miles on Oil Change due? Is it the “Flexible”?

The CX-5 sets to “Flexible” on oil change schedule from factory, but the dealer may have reset or changed it before the delivery. If it still uses “Flexible”, the oil lifer monitor will calculate the sitting time at the dealership and display the remaining oil life mileage accordingly, provided that the dealer didn’t reset it.

Yeah, dealer won’t change the factory oil on a new car sitting in the lot long. Check the oil level. If you have a naturally aspirated 2.5L, the factory oil level usually is ¼ ~ ⅓ lower than the Max mark; if the dealer has changed it, the oil level usually is over the Max mark.

IMO, I’d make the first oil change a bit earlier than scheduled 7,500 miles in your situation. I may change it at 3,500 ~ 4,000 miles, or change it when “Oil change due” notification is displayed if the Maintenance Monitor didn’t get reset or changed.

So I checked the manufacturer date and it says 08/19. I would think that around that time of the year they would be making 2020 models no? And the 19 models at the end of 2018? Anyway, if that is the date then I will wait until before next winter to make the oil change.

So I checked the manufacturer date and it says 08/19. I would think that around that time of the year they would be making 2020 models no? And the 19 models at the end of 2018? Anyway, if that is the date then I will wait until before next winter to make the oil change.
But what does your mileage left on Oil Change in your maintenance monitor say comparing to your actual driven mileage?

Yes, it’s possible Mazda was assembling 2019 MY in August 2019.

I'm glad you took my advice and checked the production date on your vehicle.

But you are still overthinking this!
The date printed on your doorsill is the date the vehicle was manufactured, period.

It is only 4 MONTHS old, not 1 1/2 years old like you claimed.
Just change the oil when the maintenance schedule says to do so.

I sometimes think it's good to change the oil in the spring because of slow, low temperature driving. The Mazda moly oil in your car is designed to withstand that abuse.

If you have the oil change set to ' flexible' it should take excess idling and low temperature driving into account and make the recommendation for when to change it.

Nobody else has mentioned this but the psi on my cx5 was in the high 40's PSI when I checked it.

They put green caps on to indicate they were filled with nitrogen so I guess they checked.

Maybe they do that in case it sits on the lot a while?

Nobody else has mentioned this but the psi on my cx5 was in the high 40's PSI when I checked it.

They put green caps on to indicate they were filled with nitrogen so I guess they checked.

Or it was high from port, and their "nitrogen fill" just consists of putting on the green caps.

Last edited:

A while ago I checked the pressure on my tires and they were also in the high 40s psi. I brought them back down to 34.

I don't mind having the air a little high because some might leak and my gauge could be wrong.

I got exceptional MPG on the 4 1/2 hr drive home but it's not overall a good thing to have that much psi.

A while ago I checked the pressure on my tires and they were also in the high 40s psi. I brought them back down to 34.
I can't believe we are still seeing this on a regular basis, and still having to talk about it.
I've been on this forum for over three years now, and it's always been a problem.
Is there any dealership out there that actually does all of the checks on the prep list?
Checking fluids and tire pressure are two of the most basic checks on the list, and they're not being done.
Shame on Mazda for letting this continue to be an issue.

I can't believe we are still seeing this on a regular basis, and still having to talk about it.
I've been on this forum for over three years now, and it's always been a problem.
Is there any dealership out there that actually does all of the checks on the prep list?
Checking fluids and tire pressure are two of the most basic checks on the list, and they're not being done.
Shame on Mazda for letting this continue to be an issue.
Yeah, failing to adjust the pressure sucks, that's standard laziness. But if they allegedly did a nitrogen fill, having the high pressure is a different level of incompetence or theft.

Back