22x11 or 22x11.5 in Front??

Hey guys, wondering if I can get away with 22x11 or 11.5 in the front on my ‘19.
I know sm1ke had a nice post mentioning being able to fit 11.5 in the back. From his pics, the front looked tight so wondering if either spec above would work. If so, what offset would be best to make it fit?
I do plan on eventually lowering it at some point. Not slammed but would like to get rid of some of the wheel gap.

Any particular reason other than bragging rights to get 11" width? Cx-9 isn't the type of car struggling for traction. The wide setup will do nothing except kill the mpg.

Point taken on the mpg. Trying to maximize on the concavity of the wheel to look as aggressive as possible. My previous vehicle was stanced so old habits died hard I guess.

I think an 11" width on the front is possible, as long as you don't lower the car too much and do a slightly lower offset (+25) to counter the extra .25" of width on the inner half of the wheel.

11.5" would also be possible, but you'd probably need an offset of +15 to +20, and at that point the wheel would be poking just a bit too much. Given that you're coming from a stanced car, you probably know that at this point, you'd have to look into modifying the fender guards and the fender liners to account for the shock travel, and you may also have to look into adjustable camber arms to increase negative camber.

Hmm, that’s good food for thought. I really don’t want to have to cut fender liners and mess around with camber. I did that with my TSX and it became a rough daily driver. Based on this I might go with 11” all around to keep it square and still be able to maximize on the concavity. I do want to lower it eventually to get rid if the wheel gap but wonder how limited I’d be with the 11”.

Hmm, that’s good food for thought. I really don’t want to have to cut fender liners and mess around with camber. I did that with my TSX and it became a rough daily driver. Based on this I might go with 11” all around to keep it square and still be able to maximize on the concavity. I do want to lower it eventually to get rid if the wheel gap but wonder how limited I’d be with the 11”.

I swapped my wheels over yesterday and got a good look underneath. I forgot to take pics, but the wheel gap is still big enough to get my phone in there so if you need any, just let me know. Anyway, it looks like the natural negative camber we get from lowering might be enough to save us from having to do too much. The fender guards are pretty thin and would be easy to modify. It seems like the toughest part would be modifying the fender liner, but if I'm being honest, I would only mess with it if I noticed it rubbing.

If you have the pics on your phone please do send them over. No need to go out of your way if not on the phone already. To be realistic, I prolly won’t be getting the rims till next summer with all this COVID stuff happening.
Since we’re on the topic, I wanted to ask you why you went with 35 series rubber instead of 40? Is it because you planned on lowering the vehicle? I had 40 series on my TSX but they were stretched so that’s why they looked a little bit thinner. I just don’t want the rubber to look too thin which is why I’m asking.

If you have the pics on your phone please do send them over. No need to go out of your way if not on the phone already. To be realistic, I prolly won’t be getting the rims till next summer with all this COVID stuff happening.
Since we’re on the topic, I wanted to ask you why you went with 35 series rubber instead of 40? Is it because you planned on lowering the vehicle? I had 40 series on my TSX but they were stretched so that’s why they looked a little bit thinner. I just don’t want the rubber to look too thin which is why I’m asking.

I went with 285/35 rubber because that size came the closest to the diameter of the OEM wheel. You can go larger or smaller if you want to, as long as the overall wheel diameter from the front to the back is the same. That said, if you do go with a larger/smaller tire diameter, your speedometer will no longer be accurate, and there is a risk of the safety systems not working as intended. They won't stop working altogether, but their parameters may have changed due to the change in vehicle height (stuff like forward collision warning, radar cruise, etc.).

If you have the pics on your phone please do send them over.

Here are some pics I took before the snow fell. These are all pictures of the front right wheel/fender.

IMG_20200401_123419.jpg

IMG_20200401_123440.jpg

IMG_20200401_123546.jpg

IMG_20200401_123604.jpg

IMG_20200401_123644.jpg

Thanks for sending the pics dude! It looks as though the .25” on each side is doable. To your point earlier, as long as it’s a lower offset and it’s not lowered too much then the 11 is doable.

I went with 285/35 rubber because that size came the closest to the diameter of the OEM wheel. You can go larger or smaller if you want to, as long as the overall wheel diameter from the front to the back is the same. That said, if you do go with a larger/smaller tire diameter, your speedometer will no longer be accurate, and there is a risk of the safety systems not working as intended. They won't stop working altogether, but their parameters may have changed due to the change in vehicle height (stuff like forward collision warning, radar cruise, etc.).
That’s a good point. What are your thoughts on going bigger vs smaller. According to will they fit.com, smaller diameter (like yours) causes the speedo to be faster than actual vs a bigger diameter that will cause it to be slower than the speedo reading. I’m pondering on a 275/40/22 tire setup on a 11x22 et 20 rim. If I go with a 35 tire, I’ll be close to your setup, so slightly smaller diameter vs stock setup.

That’s a good point. What are your thoughts on going bigger vs smaller. According to will they fit.com, smaller diameter (like yours) causes the speedo to be faster than actual vs a bigger diameter that will cause it to be slower than the speedo reading. I’m pondering on a 275/40/22 tire setup on a 11x22 et 20 rim. If I go with a 35 tire, I’ll be close to your setup, so slightly smaller diameter vs stock setup.

With regard to the speedo only, I don't think it matters much as long as you're aware of the difference. For example, with my setup, at 100 km/h, I know that the difference between the speedo reading is only 0.60 km/h. To me, this means that the speedo rating is accurate enough to prevent me from getting into trouble with law enforcement. On the other hand, if I went much smaller (say 245/40/18 tires and wheels), I could get into some trouble if I was reading my speedometer at 100 km/h while not realizing that I was actually travelling 111 km/h.

Back