2017 CX-5 Bose Subwoofer Replacement

Has anyone replaced the factory Bose speaker with something better? I find the system lacks in a few ways and one of them is bass. I was thinking of replacing the factory subwoofer with jbl basspro hub.

To do this, would there be more involved steps outside of power, ground, and splicing into bass signal wires?

Interesting approach. I mean seems like you got it covered if it fits in the spare tire.

Im guessing the highlevel signal would come from the plug connecting the Bose factory sub.

DO IT ! and report back.

options:

JBL Basspro hub:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Vega 12" Powered Active Subwoofer, Spare Tire Application

Rockville RockGhost Hidden Powered 8" Car Subwoofer (looks like a JBL clone)

Pioneer TS-WX610A Space-Saving Double 10 inch Amplified Subwoofer

CDT Audio SUB-15H 15" 380W Peak Spare Wheel Active Subwoofer

Last edited:
Has anyone replaced the factory Bose speaker with something better? I find the system lacks in a few ways and one of them is bass. I was thinking of replacing the factory subwoofer with jbl basspro hub.

To do this, would there be more involved steps outside of power, ground, and splicing into bass signal wires?

From what I was reading that is all you need to do is run a power, ground and unplug the bass input from the bose and wire it into the jbl bass pro line level input. I was thinking of doing the same thing later this summer.

From what I was reading that is all you need to do is run a power, ground and unplug the bass input from the bose and wire it into the jbl bass pro line level input. I was thinking of doing the same thing later this summer.

That's a decent route to go. I used the AudioControl LC2i to clean up the bass signal before sending it to the sub in my Mazda3. That was a pretty decent setup and a huge improvement over stock. If you like music with deep musical bass, the bose systems tend to boost a lot at 50Hz and doesn't give much below that. The Bose EQ will be applied to the line inputs going to the factory sub, so your replacement sub will get that EQ as well. On my Mazda 3, I was going to get an EQ to help smooth out the peak at 50Hz since the sub wasn't really being used to it's full potential, but got my CX-5 before I got a chance to do that.

On a previous car I had a really nice setup (clean signal, dsp, dyn audio, tru tech, ID sub w/ custom sealed enclosure) and that taught me what good bass is supposed to sound like and how much of the music I had been missing out on. Really want to get back to that so looking to tap into a clean signal (no crappy Bose EQ), or at least add an EQ or DSP to clean up the sub signal so the 50Hz peak doesn't overpower everything else and it's more balanced and deep.

Really depends on what you're after and what type of music you listen to, but sounds like just doing the JBL drop in replacement would be a decent upgrade even without the other stuff.

If you got the JBL HUB did it fit okay height wise? I'm thinking of getting it but the measurements is pretty close. Wondering if it will hit the trunk cover.

If you got the JBL HUB did it fit okay height wise? I'm thinking of getting it but the measurements is pretty close. Wondering if it will hit the trunk cover.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten it yet. I'm considering the Vega as the jbl hubs doesn't play down to 20 hz from looking at the specs. Kinda want those lows. I'm actually trying to approach the build differently now. Looking for a DSP like the match pp86dsp to do a premium DSP upgrade. I'm sure if the Bose driver's are equalized properly, I'd enjoy the system more

Unfortunately I haven't gotten it yet. I'm considering the Vega as the jbl hubs doesn't play down to 20 hz from looking at the specs. Kinda want those lows. I'm actually trying to approach the build differently now. Looking for a DSP like the match pp86dsp to do a premium DSP upgrade. I'm sure if the Bose driver's are equalized properly, I'd enjoy the system more

Good news, JBL hub fits with half inch of space between the cover. Bad news, screw rod needs to be cut an inch. No biggie, an easy fix. Can't wait to get this baby installed.

Attachments

• 20200320_185832.jpg
    20200320_185832.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,607
  • 20200320_185859.jpg
    20200320_185859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,987
  • 20200320_190811.jpg
    20200320_190811.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 841
Last edited:
Bad news, screw rod needs to be cut an inch. No biggie, an easy fix. Can't wait to get this baby installed.
So you have the bolt screwed all the way in/bottomed out, yet it isn't making contact with the new sub?

If so, then I would NOT cut the bolt.
Just go to the hardware store and buy a large washer and rubber grommet(s). Slide the grommets over the bolt, then the washer. This will preserve the bolt, secure the sub, and the rubber grommets will help minimize vibrations.

Good news, JBL hub fits with half inch of space between the cover. Bad news, screw rod needs to be cut an inch. No biggie, an easy fix. Can't wait to get this baby installed.

Got any tips for routing the power cable from the battery to the rear? Mainly, were you able to find a grommet or anything usable to route the power wire to the cabin?

So you have the bolt screwed all the way in/bottomed out, yet it isn't making contact with the new sub?

If so, then I would NOT cut the bolt.
Just go to the hardware store and buy a large washer and rubber grommet(s). Slide the grommets over the bolt, then the washer. This will preserve the bolt, secure the sub, and the rubber grommets will help minimize vibrations.

Too late, I already cut it. But I'm looking for some kind of rubber washer to help with the vibration.

I ran my cables something like in the video but I didn't feel the need to remove fasteners on the underbody panel. I just tucked the cable in there. I used a few cable ties along the way. Plus while I was under there I ran an extra red/black pair for future use. I like having a good ground as sometimes body ground isn't that good.

How does it sound? Curious as to why you couldn’t just splice it into the Bose wiring that is already there? Is there not a power cable for the Bose sub?

How does it sound? Curious as to why you couldn’t just splice it into the Bose wiring that is already there? Is there not a power cable for the Bose sub?

I'll let you know when it's done, but it may be a month or two. Might post a video. I don't believe Sport model has any Bose power cables.

Seems like an easy DIY project, I am going to do this for sure but I think I'll get the Rockville RockGhost one, it is rated higher and costs less. Any opinions on this?

Seems like an easy DIY project, I am going to do this for sure but I think I'll get the Rockville RockGhost one, it is rated higher and costs less. Any opinions on this?

If you're looking at the Amazon listing, a lot of those reviews are for the underseat subwoofer. I honestly don't have any experience but I've had friends regret their decisions. Also, I think you may want a bigger subwoofer depending on your car. When it comes to SUVs, I'm not a fan of 8in.

Having spoken to a Crutchfield associate, they said they didn't have anything that would replace the stock Bose sub. He recommended the underseat option but wasn't sure the dimensions would work for our car. The factory sub is a dual voice coil with 4 total wires so that can be connected with bare speaker wire directly to the kicker for the signal. So you if it fit (I never measured), you would basically just be adding another sub and grabbing signal from the factory.

I'm digging the input in this thread. Thanks guys. I'll probably be going with the cerwin Vega vpas12st, as it plays down to 20hz vs jbl at 30 I believe. I plan on running the subwoofer signal from the headunit vs the amp so I don't have Bose's eq/bass boost or whatever they do to it. The vpas12st is also an aluminum frame. I dig hefty pieces. Just installed a powered subwoofer in my friends Mazdaspeed 3 Bose system and it definitely made his life waaaaay better in the car. Hopefully this option does the same for mine.

I'm digging the input in this thread. Thanks guys. I'll probably be going with the cerwin Vega vpas12st, as it plays down to 20hz vs jbl at 30 I believe. I plan on running the subwoofer signal from the headunit vs the amp so I don't have Bose's eq/bass boost or whatever they do to it. The vpas12st is also an aluminum frame. I dig hefty pieces. Just installed a powered subwoofer in my friends Mazdaspeed 3 Bose system and it definitely made his life waaaaay better in the car. Hopefully this option does the same for mine.

You have plans on adding sound deadener underneath it? I'm going to use Dynamat Xtreme.

Back