Effective suspension mods

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
Anybody here running with additional chassis bracing or bars? What are the most effective chassis upgrades? I don't really want to lower the cx-5 (because I want to keep the ground clearance) but I am open to other chassis stiffening and handling mods. What do you have?

I use ultra racing myself. All they make are chassis bars. I have all except the two middle brace and the rear frame brace. Autoexe has a set as well, but they come from Japan and cost a lot more (japanparts.com). Of course these are mainly for reducing metal fatigue over time and during high shock events (like running over a curb or huge pothole), or even a fender bender. The more you add the NVH will go up. These are not substitutes or equivalent to a stiffer suspension however. Although the decrease in chassis flex always helps with alignment during cornering and grip by reducing rolling moments.

I would recommend a strut tower bar and front lower arm bar just because the strut towers bear a lot of load and are vulnerable to fatigue from regular driving the most (which can affect alignment as the miles go up).

I use ultra racing myself. All they make are chassis bars. I have all except the two middle brace and the rear frame brace. Autoexe has a set as well, but they come from Japan and cost a lot more (japanparts.com). Of course these are mainly for reducing metal fatigue over time and during high shock events (like running over a curb or huge pothole), or even a fender bender. The more you add the NVH will go up. These are not substitutes or equivalent to a stiffer suspension however. Although the decrease in chassis flex always helps with alignment during cornering and grip by reducing rolling moments.

I would recommend a strut tower bar and front lower arm bar just because the strut towers bear a lot of load and are vulnerable to fatigue from regular driving the most (which can affect alignment as the miles go up).
Thanks, I will check them out.

Would the strut tower bar induce more understeer tendencies if I don’t get a stiffer rear sway bar?

Thanks, I will check them out.

Would the strut tower bar induce more understeer tendencies if I don’t get a stiffer rear sway bar?

Not from my experience. But a strut bar isn't equivalent to a sway bar so unless the chassis is prone to a lot of flex it wouldn't anyways

Need to rearrange.
Tires, springs/shocks, Minor bracing.

If you get the springs right, you dont need Stabilizer Bars. Spend that money on premium shocks. Look at the adjustable Konis.

Agree. Although for my use, i feel that the stock spring shock and spring combo is a good compromise for a daily driver and i dont want to lower the vehicle.

I will look into bracing to reduce chassis flex and then see if the stock suspension is still a good fit or if it needs to be replaced. would adjustable konis be a good fit with stock springs? then maybe swaybars to dial in less understeer

As for tires, i was orginally looking into bigger wheels for better tire choices but i had two unfixable flats in one week so i had to get new tires on the stock wheels so i went with the michelin crossclimate tires which are supposedly baselined against summer tires. So far it feels pretty good and sticky enough in colder weather.

I'd like stiffer rear springs and stiffer low speed compression damping in the rear. The rear moves too far and too fast. I like the stock front.

strut tower bar
Thanks.

The closest I've come to playing with the suspension in a car is when I put thicker oil in the knee-action shocks in my Austin Healey.

All the other Sprite owners recommended it.
It did nothing but waste my time.

Interesting that you would buy for overseas EBay sellers.

The parts may fit, but how can you have confidence in the quality/durability of the metal it's made with, especially something safety-crucial like suspension & steering? Or are these well-known brands within certain circles?

Interesting that you would buy for overseas EBay sellers.

The parts may fit, but how can you have confidence in the quality/durability of the metal it's made with, especially something safety-crucial like suspension & steering? Or are these well-known brands within certain circles?

IMO this is only an issue if the company selling the product doesn't do it's due diligence in testing and QA. Personally, I have no issue with imported steel as long as it's been tested and proven to perform in the conditions it is marketed for (street or track use).

Some companies have also built up a reputation around their name. I think Ultra Racing is one of those companies that provides reputable products.

Back