1+ Billion Lotto Jackpot

Oh I see. In my home city of San Diego in La Jolla near the shore are some shops. You can stroll by in some shorts and walk past an ice cream shop, then a small mom-pops bicycle shop, a pet store, and next to that is a Ferrari store. All in the same plaza. That would cheer you up.

Well Russian Kid, having over 500 million after taxes in your account chances are you would have drivers/pilots 24/7 anyways. I'd personally do what this NFL player did, restore his old car. Multi-Millionaire and still drives his 1991 Mazda 626 daily. http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ted-with-his-refurbished-mazda-bentley-215807

I wouldn't have a driver, I enjoy driving, and I live in a rural area so I have access to many great roads. I wouldn't mind restoring an old car, I would definitely have an E34 M5/3.8 Euro version.

I would be so damn generous to my family, friends and multiple charities if I won that kind of scratch.

I would be so damn generous to my family, friends and multiple charities if I won that kind of scratch.
Agreed. Keeping it all would eventually alienate friends and family. Best thing to do is split it evenly amongst the people you care about. Of course you need to keep enough to buy all the cars you ever wanted. Let's not be unreasonable.

Agreed. Keeping it all would eventually alienate friends and family. Best thing to do is split it evenly amongst the people you care about. Of course you need to keep enough to buy all the cars you ever wanted. Let's not be unreasonable.

I've thought about this (prob too much). Is it all even per family, or per person? How to count kids?

I have single uncle, and married uncle with 2 adult/married kids. Another aunt one kid, child. All get a million? Or 250k per person?

Would be good problem to have!!!

I mean, a billion? A million each. ;) If it was much less, I'd be more selective.
I've had this fantasy before, here's exactly what I'd do.
Tell no one.
Fly to Belize with my family.
Rent out some big ass swanky house.
Call airlines and book flights for everyone of my friends and family (it's sadly not an enormous group).
"There's a plane ticket for you at the airport. Quit yoir job and meet me in Belize and I will give you a million dollars".

I mean, a billion? A million each. ;) If it was much less, I'd be more selective.
Tell no one.
Call airlines and book flights for everyone of my friends and family (it's sadly not an enormous group).
"There's a plane ticket for you at the airport. Quit yoir job and meet me in Belize and I will give you a million dollars".

HAAAA! I used to have that fantasy. Pretty much exact. Been yrs since it crossed my mind.

I'd prob change it now to a cottage in Muskoka (Ontario version of the hamptons, cottage being our version of lakeside cabin or lakehouse)

The biggest problem with a huge lottery win is staying anonymous.
Certainly here in Ontario, you are obligated to have your name and picture published in the media, or you don't get your money.
I believe that's true with just about any lottery in the world.
I have read of a few instances where the winner took the lottery corporation to court to try and ban them from publishing their identity.
I'm not sure how that turned out.
Once your name gets out there, you will be harrassed by family members, charities, freeloaders and scammers you didn't know existed.
Also every so called money manager and investment firm (legit or not) will try to convince you to invest your winnings with them. Ah, no.
For me, the fantasy includes an airplane ticket out of town on the same day that I collect my cheque.
New cell phone number and email too.
With the internet, you can manage your affairs from just about anywhere in the world.
Send money to your kids and anyone else that you think deserves a share, and keep the rest until the hubbub dies down. No rash, emotional decisions.
Once the scammers and beggars know you're not going to give them anything, they'll jump on to the next winner.

Tell no one.

The only way you could really do that is if you knew how to grow that. Chances are, most people will blow it and then be x number of years behind the workforce.

Not a reflection on your family, 7, more me thinking about portions of mine. ;)

But even for myself, I'm not sure I'd quit my job for a million dollars. I'd quit my job if it was a few million. 1? Eh... After taxes that would probably buy me 1 normal house here.

I'm retired, so just $1M or so would be sufficient for me. As Colorado said, there are some people who can outspend any amount of money. I, too, am thinking close to home...as well as some of those "5 years later" shows.

I play Virginia state lotteries that have prizes of $1M-$5M. That would make a difference in my life, but would not be enough for the world to beat a door to my path (we, too, have a law requiring that winner's names be made public.) And the odds of winning those amounts are less unrealistic than the mega-jackpots.

I have a friend who won a "$1 Million after taxes" lottery here a few years ago. He bought me lunch. Made me leave the tip.

average detached home here broke million few yrs back.

Anyone looking to pay few mortgages off and have summer place better be winning over 5M if they expect to not work.

But with billion, the interest or dividend from safe stocks would go far. Of course, in a week or two that all might be changed as the normal rules of economics may not apply.

average detached home here broke million few yrs back.

Anyone looking to pay few mortgages off and have summer place better be winning over 5M if they expect to not work.

But with billion, the interest or dividend from safe stocks would go far. Of course, in a week or two that all might be changed as the normal rules of economics may not apply.
It's the same in the Washington DC area. Lived there since the early 60s, and bought a small (600 ft²) house there in the mid 70s (one I used to deliver the newspaper to.) Over time, my entire neighborhood had those small bungalows on 1/4 acre lots replaced with 3,000 ft²-4,500 ft² homes that long ago topped $1,000,000.

Te years ago I moved 100 miles away (only a 2 hour drive) and bought an old house on over 50 acres in the middle of a bunch of farms. Had a 3 car garage built, had a patio door installed to provide exit out of the dining room, had a small deck built, and still came in under $300,000. Quite the contrast (as are the respective job markets.)

I used to have museums and the performing arts and Smithsonian Institute activities just a few miles away, but would have to drive some distance (through traffic) to hike & fish. That's now reversed. I can't really see leaving here, so I could live like a king (well, maybe a prince) off of $1,000,000.

Regarding the normal rules of economics...we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto ;)

Last edited:
Back