Has Mazda changed their mind and included the NAV System on the 2020 GT and Reserve?

That's odd. Ours does not do that.
It's probably a sensitivity setting. Or maybe I crept up too closely on the guy in front of me (as jj70 said) and I assumed it was because a car pulled up on my passenger side.

I only had the thing for a few hours, and soon turned off the camera because it bugged me.

Yes - on the HUD as you pass a speed limit sign with a new speed, the speed limit sign in the HUD will change just like on the Infotainment screen. As you come up to a stop sign, the stop sign appears. (I'm not sure if that's tied to GPS or to the camera.) The stop sign appears a little late though - often times I'm already stopped by the time it appears.
I asked that question regarding the source of the stop sign info a while ago.

It pulls from the camera. Another member said it displays when he approaches brand new stop signs in the Home Depot parking lot. I agree that I'm nearly stopped before the sign shows up. Speed limit signs are the same way...the HUD changes just as I pass them.

The stop sign recognition is kinda worthless, IMHO.

I asked that question regarding the source of the stop sign info a while ago.

It pulls from the camera. Another member said it displays when he approaches brand new stop signs in the Home Depot parking lot. I agree that I'm nearly stopped before the sign shows up. Speed limit signs are the same way...the HUD changes just as I pass them.

The stop sign recognition is kinda worthless, IMHO.

Well that explains why I've noticed that new stop signs appear - the camera is detecting them. I agree it's kinda worthless because you're notified way too late for the stop signs.

Interesting about the speed limit signs. I noticed yesterday as I was driving down a road with no speed limit signs that a speed limit was displayed in the HUD despite none on the road so I think it is a combination of both programing and the camera.

Well that explains why I've noticed that new stop signs appear - the camera is detecting them. I agree it's kinda worthless because you're notified way too late for the stop signs.

I think they added stop signs, because they could. If one is relying on the HUD for one, I would not want to drive with that person. :)

I think they added stop signs, because they could. If one is relying on the HUD for one, I would not want to drive with that person. :)
Pointing at the HUD: "Hey, look what I just blasted through!!" as we're huddled on the floor.

I agree that it's a "Because we can" thing. This would have value if Mazda pulled stop sign locations from a database and gave advance notice. But then the lawyers would have a fit over gaps in the data...

Do Not Enter signs have value because that info continues to be relevant as you progress down the forbidden road.

Last edited:
That's odd. Ours does not do that.
You got me thinking about this, so I went to my manual.

Is it possible that the message I saw was from the parking sensors? The message only came up when sitting in line/creeping at a red light with cars around me, not when driving down the road. I can see how I implied otherwise.

You got me thinking about this, so I went to my manual.

Is it possible that the message I saw was from the parking sensors? The message only came up when
sitting in line/creeping at a red light with cars around me, not when driving down the road. I can see how I implied otherwise.

I don't think the parking sensors do much more than make noise when you get close to an object. That is something you can turn off. I find them less intuitive than on my other car. If I'm pulled in the garage and put the car in reverse, they go off for objects in front of it. My other car is smart enough to know I'm in reverse, so I shouldn't need to be alerted.

As for the 360 camera, you said you turned it off. On ours, you can manually turn it on at any time, but it will shut down after 15-30 seconds. Did the diesel have an option that allowed it to be on at all times?

I don't think the parking sensors do much more than make noise when you get close to an object. That is something you can turn off. I find them less intuitive than on my other car. If I'm pulled in the garage and put the car in reverse, they go off for objects in front of it. My other car is smart enough to know I'm in reverse, so I shouldn't need to be alerted.

As for the 360 camera, you said you turned it off. On ours, you can manually turn it on at any time, but it will shut down after 15-30 seconds. Did the diesel have an option that allowed it to be on at all times?
I don't really recall. I just searched for it in the system and shut it down. I'm not even sure what the option wording was.

The camera only came on when it gave me the "Beware of your surroundings" message along with it as I sat/crawled in traffic. I don't recall if the camera view went away after x seconds, because I killed the it pretty early on. I only had the thing for a couple of hours.

This is from Pg 4-176+ of the 2019 CX-5 manual:

The 360° View Monitor consists of the following functions which assist the driver in checking the area surrounding the vehicle using various indications in the center display and a warning sound while the vehicle is being driven at low speeds or while parking.

Automatic display of the 360°View Monitor when the ultrasonic senor detects an obstruction.
Maybe this happened when I crept up on the guy in front of me at the red light.

Now that I read the manual, I see there's a "Please check surroundings for safety" message. That's probably what I saw.

I did like the projection lines on the backup camera. Way nicer than the grids on my Reserve.

Have another confirmation of what others replied to the question posed by this thread- our 2020 GT was delivered today, It includes the Premium Package and, sure enough, no GPS. Thanks to this forum, I anticipated that and just ordered the $36 Mazda SD card on ebay. For that price it won't have to perform circus tricks to satisfy me.

Have another confirmation of what others replied to the question posed by this thread- our 2020 GT was delivered today, It includes the Premium Package and, sure enough, no GPS. Thanks to this forum, I anticipated that and just ordered the $36 Mazda SD card on ebay. For that price it won't have to perform circus tricks to satisfy me.
Congrats on the purchase, Jim. These are really nice cars.

When you were taking your test drive, did the car have a HUD in it? Did it have Traffic Sign Recognition?

If it did have TSR, did the sales guy say anything about that being a $500 up-charge on top of the Premium Package? It doesn't sound like they discussed this while you were placing the order.

Congrats on the purchase, Jim. These are really nice cars.

When you were taking your test drive, did the car have a HUD in it? Did it have Traffic Sign Recognition?

If it did have TSR, did the sales guy say anything about that being a $500 up-charge on top of the Premium Package? It doesn't sound like they discussed this while you were placing the order.
We chatted about many things on the test drive and he professionally glossed over the GPS issue. I was already anticipating that it wouldn't include that and wasn't worried about it since I knew what to do for chump change. And no, the car we test drove did not have the SD card in it and, therefore, only had minimal information on the HUD.

As with about anyone with a new car (this is about my 30th new one- I like 'em new!), the dazzle effect ensures that we love it. Assuming that it performs like most Mazdas, we expect to be quite satisfied with it. Our last two Mazda were '89s (pickup and MPV) and both were very well made and utterly reliable.

We chatted about many things on the test drive and he professionally glossed over the GPS issue. I was already anticipating that it wouldn't include that and wasn't worried about it since I knew what to do for chump change. And no, the car we test drove did not have the SD card in it and, therefore, only had minimal information on the HUD.

As with about anyone with a new car (this is about my 30th new one- I like 'em new!), the dazzle effect ensures that we love it. Assuming that it performs like most Mazdas, we expect to be quite satisfied with it. Our last two Mazda were '89s (pickup and MPV) and both were very well made and utterly reliable.
I'm glad yours wasn't deceptively demoed with the NAV card installed.

This is my first Mazda and my 3rd new car (I'm 65years old.) I've always been a bottom fisher. Often paid $500 for a car, driven it for a while, then made money on it. The most I ever paid used was $1,000. I drove my other 2 new vehicles (trucks) for over 15 years each. I still have the '05 Canyon.

Unacceptable IMO to get any trim that features the HUD and not get the SD card included on a brand new CX5. (Needed for TSR and turn by turn directions on hud) At least eBay offers a cheap quick fix for that omission.

I believe they also canned XMtravelink on most trims. Another cost cutting move. In a world were Mazdas infotainment is showing its age.....eliminating previously offered features is imo a lousy move.

This is why when looking for a used CX5 I decided on a 2019 GT. No PP kept the price down a couple grand but still came with the full featured Mazda Connect infotainment (sd card and full xm suite)

The SD cards comes in series pertaining to the year of release. The most current one for 2020 is BHP166EZ1M which goes upward of $300 no matter where you look. If you are getting an SD card for less than $100, look at the series if it's F,J,K, and L, instead of the current series M, then those are versions from previous years. If you don't mind being a year or two behind, then it can be a good trade off.

The SD cards comes in series pertaining to the year of release. The most current one for 2020 is BHP166EZ1M which goes upward of $300 no matter where you look. If you are getting an SD card for less than $100, look at the series if it's F,J,K, and L, instead of the current series M, then those are versions from previous years. If you don't mind being a year or two behind, then it can be a good trade off.
I thought it didn’t matter whether you buy F/J/K/L/M, since you get 3 years of free updates, starting from whenever you clock 60 miles with the SD card inserted. The letter indicates what initial data is on the card, but they can all be updated to the same latest nav data.

So should just buy the cheapest one that’s confirmed compatible with your car?

I think the way it works is that if you bought a 2018 series, it can take you up to 2021. Whereas the 2020 will take you to 2024. Not 3 years from when you bought it but from when the series came out.

According to the Mazda website:
To be sure your Mazda Connect always has the latest updates, use the Mazda Toolbox to view and download available updates and content, including complimentary map updates for three years, commencing when the vehicle has traveled 100km (63 miles) with the SD card inserted.

Reactions: Jim
If my memory serves me right, it locks in after 50-60 miles driving with the sd card in for the first time. Then the period starts.

The problem I see is those cheap ebay listings are probably clones and they are with the release map year of the master card. No idea how it works with them for updating.

Back