CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Jesus, my car is dusty.
It's 59.4-something. like literally the last easily hackable version. Got lucky.

Oh okay...hmm. Strange how some say they are seeing the album art on XM channels and others not. I'm for having it if you couldn't tell. :cool:

So you don't have the new hub. Thought you did. New hub has to have at least first f/w ver 70.*.* to work. (as I'm sure you know)

Last edited:
I mean, I'd rather have it then not, but it doesn't bother me that I don't. :D

Wondering...seeing sales on some nice head units. Maybe it makes sense to replace this CMU instead of pay $400 to update the hub. I've seen $400 for about 3 name brands of head units.

I mean, I'd rather have it then not, but it doesn't bother me that I don't. :D

• are you using WiFi with AA? Be great to use AA and especially Google maps through this infotainment system
  • which version of Mazda f/w are you using
  • curious of your setup because if it works well then it'd make more sense to use AIO and save the money

Got the hub upgrade last Friday. LOL, still no XM album art. The CX-5 GT 2020 loaner they had me in did have it. So odd. Bummer, they updated the F/W to .335 when I asked them specifically not to (from .100).

Does anyone know do you need Android Auto for phone screens installed or not? They had me install it on my phone but is there a need/reason?

Yes, you need Android Auto on your phone. It won't work without it.

It cannot work on any Android Auto car unit without being on your phone. It was probably already installed on it.

I installed it and then removed it as it didn't seem necessary. AA is part of Android 10 for one thing. I'm sure you know that already.

I installed it and then removed it as it didn't seem necessary. AA is part of Android 10 for one thing. I'm sure you know that already.

You're saying you were able to find it in the Play Store and download it? I thought since it was already installed, that wouldn't be an option.

In Android 10 the FUNCTIONALITY of the once separate Android Auto now exists. However the play store (Android OS) will always allow the user to add applications that replicate native feature because that is the Android way.

when @SBMongoos said he installed it (Android auto) but it didn't seem necessary that is because the new fancy Note 9 comes with Android 10 operating system that INCLUDES the previous separate features of Android Auto application.

Remember Apple IOS only works on Apple hardware they only have to develop against hardware they also control. They bought their way into automobile integrations early on so it was seamless - no extras needed.

Android OS works on a wide variety of hardware, some better than others, so older Android versions do not include support for all the advance features (Android Auto). That is why previously to Android 10 (if your device supports it) Android auto was necessary to integrate with other manufactures infotainment systems.

It does not hurt (other than space usage and duplicate functions) for someone using the newest Android 10 to also load Android auto application.

whew.

Anyone having problems with random Android Auto disconnects with an S20? Latest infotainment firmware. Seems like it's a widespread problem with Android 10 but I haven't seen the problem mentioned here yet.

Correct, but as mentioned I did uninstall it.

So, you uninstalled Android Auto for phone screens, not Android Auto. I have a Android 10 phone here that I just experimented with. Here's what you get when you go to the Play Store and search Android Auto:

IMG_20200602_134504655.jpg

Android Auto is not visible when looking at your apps by swiping up. You can only see it via the "Settings" App Info tab. It can not be uninstalled, just disabled, or force stopped.

Right. At the dealer the Service Manager said I needed "Android Auto for phone screens". But as I found out working with Android Auto, now built into Android 10, I don't need it. I didn't remove Android Auto, I removed "Android Auto for phone screens".

This is new to me. Android Auto; I've always been able to say "OK Google" then give instructions such as where I want to go.

Now I get this verbal message: "When it's safe, first tap notification, then use Google assistant whilst driving." What notification? What an I supposed to press? Where is it? What are they talking about? Have tried every button and icon - with the car stationary, and nothing works. Been through all my phone settings and Waze settings, have even ticked boxes that are normally disabled - no avail.

It always worked in the past, it's the same phone and same set-up as before. Pairing is the same and up to now everything has been seamless. Only change is haven't used the facility since lock-down. Has there been a Waze or Android update?

Last edited:
Back