CX-5 Mud Flaps OR Running Boards?

There is a thread here where a member took Before/After pics...driving without mud flaps, and driving with mud flaps. It was that post that convinced me that the tiny-looking OEM mud flaps really do the job. I just scanned every post with the word "flap" init to no avail. I think that post may be so old that the photo-hosting timed out.

Now that I have the flaps, I can see that that small protrusion is just enough to stop mud from being slung up on the side of the car. I live at the end of a 1/2 mile long right-of-way that more often than not is a pothole-ridden mud pit. The OEM mud flaps do the job.

I cannot speak to running boards, but think they leave the rear quarter panel unprotected.

With both being available, does anyone know if the mud flaps offer better protection than the running boards do?
Or vise versa?
I agree with Avoidin Deer, and definitely would go for OEM mud flaps. It’s plastic which is flexible and not too easy to get damaged like running boards. Running boards not only can’t protect the rear quarter, but also reduces the ground clearance.

I agree with Avoidin Deer, and definitely would go for OEM mud flaps. It’s plastic which is flexible and not too easy to get damaged like running boards. Running boards not only can’t protect the rear quarter, but also reduces the ground clearance.

With protection as a priority, I agree with yrwei52 and Avoidin Deer. Go with mud flaps for more protection against rock chips and to keep the car a little cleaner.

I had the OEM mud flaps installed a month after I bought my '17, almost 3 years ago. I have no chips anywhere on the car so they do a good job. I very rarely drive any gravel roads so your experience may be different.

Mud/splash guards help a lot actually.
I put mine the other day.
Go with oem if you can. About 100 usd for front and rear. Installation is easy and also kind of makes the car look better to me. They are not intrusive.

Anybody have pictures of the OEM mudflaps on a 2nd Gen? Anybody do a comparison of fuel economy with and without? Is installation of the OEM mudflaps fully reversible?

Anybody have pictures of the OEM mudflaps on a 2nd Gen? Anybody do a comparison of fuel economy with and without? Is installation of the OEM mudflaps fully reversible?
My car's dirty again (just washed it yesterday), but I can take pics for you tomorrow.

Regarding fully-reversible, I believe that one of the front flaps requires a mounting hole to be drilled. I know someone here posted directions. My dealer did mine because I didn't want to mess with taking off the trim in order to install the front ones (maybe just the driver's side had the complicated process.)

Regarding fuel economy, I can't see how it would make any measurable difference. My internet research I just did somewhat confirms that (but it's only people like us kibitzing, no wind tunnel tests.) Only one guy claimed a significant impact, and everyone else threw the BS flag. I have no idea how large his flaps were.

I've captured my mileage (computer and calculated) for every tank of gas I've purchased over the past 12 months of ownership. The variation from tank-to-tank is too great for anyone to draw any "accessory impact" conclusions unless the impact is to the left of the decimal point over an extended period of time. Even then I'd want to see accessories_on/accessories_off/accessories_on data to rule out other variables. Plus you need to adjust for warm weather, cold weather, seasonal ethanol concentrations, average speed, etc.

They are mostly drafting behind the tires. And these small flaps protrude below the body line and off to the side so very little. I cannot imagine them making a difference (there's a standard for you.)

So to answer your mileage impact question: dunno. ;)

I kind of wondered about the mpg right after I installed mine and while I might have imagined it made some difference it couldn't
be much.
The rears' stick out a little so it might add some drag.

Pics as requested:

Exterior_Drivers side.png

mud flap_rear view.png

mud flap_front left.png

mud flap_rear left.png

Seriosuly, stop worrying about mpg and the splashguards.
If you need them and like them, get them :)
When I started looking for data on this, I was surprised at how many people seemed to wonder about this. It would never occur to me to even think about it.

That being said, I guess I can understand how some of the larger "Yosemite Sam" flaps might add significant drag. But not these little guards. I'd worry more about bugs on my windshield goofing up my aerodynamics. Or roof rails.

Thanks for posting the pictures, they are very helpful.

The look is pretty subtle. It looks like they are in 8 places, in front of and behind each tire? Or are they just behind each tire?

Thanks for posting the pictures, they are very helpful.

The look is pretty subtle. It looks like they are in 8 places, in front of and behind each tire? Or are they just behind each tire?
4 places. Just behind each tire.

Here's a pic I found on the web of a 2019 CX-5 at an angle that shows the standard flaps that come on every CX-5. Note the flaps in front of the tires, with no mud guards behind them:

2019-mazda-cx-5-ogi.jpg

You can see them in some promo vids, if you look hard enough. Those flaps are standard (not part of the optional guards), and are "regular rubber flap" flexible, while the mud guards are molded plastic. The front ones flex with the wind. I wonder if they are part of the aerodynamic design that prevents the wind from swirling up into the wheel wells.

And the mud guards ARE subtle. In addition to needing their utility down my 1/2 mile long right-of-way (and all the gravel "main roads" around here), the look is why I went with OEM. They are unobtrusive. They look like standard equipment.

You can see how they hang down just low enough to prevent spatter (or rocks) onto the body. Anything that goes under them is shooting straight back, not up. I wish I could find the "Before & After" test pics someone here posted. They really do work.

So...how would you like to pay for those? Cash? Check? Charge? Mazda credit? ;)

Last edited:
This thread convinced me to buy front and rears. $90 shipped from BAM.
And it was that "Driven through mud without them/Driven through mud with them" comparison thread and made me order them with my car.

They just look too tiny to be effective...but they are.

This video shows a video walk around with the mudflaps installed, or splash guards I guess they're called. They do look good. I question how much difference the rears make, there isn't much car behind the rear wheels.

Thanks A.D. I'd forgotten I'd read about those front flaps for aerodynamics.

I never much thought about accessories affecting wind resistance until I saw some stats on roof and bike racks. They make a significant difference in mileage. Much more than cylinder deactivation does.

edit: oops, here's the url:

Last edited:
I agree that the rear ones look like they provide a marginal benefit...there's no quarter-panel left behind the wheel wells. But if they stop just one piece of gravel...

Interesting about those aerodynamic flaps...just a wild guess on my part, but they couldn't have served any other purpose. I never noticed them until you asked and I went out and played with them.

Regarding accessories: aerodynamics are weird. I read the same thing about racks that you did when I went looking for the mileage impact of mud flaps. Years ago I put a hood bug shield on my '89 S-10 and it set up a stream that caused the hood to chatter at the rear hinges at highway speeds. I installed a different shield and the chatter went away. I never gave any thought to that shield (or the bed rails I installed) killing my mileage. Just as I used to drive with my tailgate down until I watched Mythbusters. Fascinating stuff.

Back