Snow Chains CX9 2018 signature

Has anyone measure the wheel space clearance in their car? I would like to buy some snow chains for my car but would like to know if anyone has installed some without any issues. I am aware the manual says dont do it on the 20in rims. Anyways i was looking into these any thoughts?

Are you talking about clearance between the suspension and the inner rim/tire edge of the wheel?

Yea the inside clearance so it doesn't tear up the suspension. And the clearance when the tire is fully turned to make sure it doesn't tear up the plastic that is inside the wheel well. Not sure if im making sense

I didn't really measure but I did take this picture when I was shopping for summer wheels to make sure the new wheels wouldn't interfere with the suspension. This is the front wheel clearance with the OEM 20" wheel (20x8.5 +45 ET) and the OEM tires (255/50/20). There looks to be about an inch of clearance, but again, I didn't actually measure the distance. I put 22x10.5 +30 ET wheels on in the summer and there was no contact between the inner wheel and the suspension.

IMG_20180902_115753.jpg

For fender clearance, I would turn the wheel all the way to the right or left while parked, then open the door and stand on the door sill and bounce up and down. That will give you a slight idea of what kind of clearance (suspension travel) you have. Of course, actual suspension travel will depend on the terrain and the severity of the bumps/potholes, but again, this should at the very least give you an idea of how far you can push it.

thanks for the picture and info, i think ill buy the chains. It only requires 10mm of clearance and judging from the picture it should be enough. Hopefully i never have to put them on but required in the state of california

I bought cables from my local dealership that they said were guaranteed to fit. I have them but I've never had to use them yet, so take that all with a grain of salt.

I bought cables from my local dealership that they said were guaranteed to fit. I have them but I've never had to use them yet, so take that all with a grain of salt.
Guaranteed to fit or what? Your money back? Free car? That kind of clearance is very sketchy at best

I don't disagree with your assessment. I was simply told my the salesman that the cables he sold me, from a dealership, are made with the slim clearance in mind that exists when using the 20" rims. Again, I've never used them because I haven't yet been in a situation where I've needed to, so I can't actually speak as to whether or not they work.

One should always dry fit the chains or cables. Put them on in your sunny dry driveway. Learn how this particular model attaches and how to tighten them. (I have several brands, and each one attaches differently.) If you actually need the cables it's always in the dark in a few inches of sloppy snow. Did you pack gloves and something dry to lay on, as well as a good flashlight?

When you dry fit the cables you can do something of a clearance check. Of course we don't want to drive on dry roads at 25 mph, you don't like the fit, and you want your money back.

Back