Insurance Ripoffs

Our 2019 Signature is $550/year. Some of you seem to be paying ridiculous premiums, but there are a lot of factors that go into it.

I switched to Geico and increased my coverage at same cost. Came from E-surance.

Best advise is to shop around. Don't get complacent with one company for too long.
In my case we were with Nationwide for Home/Auto/Pet for 30 years. We've had no tickets or accidents for the last 20 years. Somehow the auto policy for 16 CX-5 and 19 CX-5 GTR crept up to 2,600.00 per year. I did some shopping around and went with Ameriprise Insurance. Same or better coverage and cost us 1200.00 per year. Also switched homeowners which was a 100.00 more expensive per year but the overall savings made it a no-brainer.

If you can afford to replace the auto, get liability only. If you are an average driver or better, you will save a bundle over your lifetime. Less than half of premiums go to actually pay claims and most body shops will give you a competitive rate if out of pocket...

You have to shop around since rates seem to go up a little each year no matter what. Then when it gets to high for comfort, a new company may lower the rate to get you to join, only to repeat the process of increasing rates all over again.

We are at $680/year with Progressive on our 2018 CX5

If you can afford to replace the auto, get liability only. If you are an average driver or better, you will save a bundle over your lifetime. Less than half of premiums go to actually pay claims and most body shops will give you a competitive rate if out of pocket...
General rule for me is if book value is under $12000 - I take liability only.
My first car in 2011 was a 2000 Corolla with 133k miles on it and $30 ish for liability.
Right now I pay $2100 for 2 cars and 2 drivers + AAA membership included.

My rates were really low until few accidents. State Farm kicked me out when some one banged their door into my CX5 on a windy day. I would dance a happy dance when all of these insurance companies in the US - auto / medical etc. die a painful death.

I pay close to 4K per year for insurance. Boys.

Yeah but is that for you only and for the single car only and with crazy high deductibles?

Mine is literally me only, with only the CX-5, with $1,000 each collision and comprehensive deductibles, and it's figuring at $2350/year at the current monthly rate. No claims, no tickets.

And I've shopped around and no one is any better. :( I'm told supposedly I get out of the "high risk" demographic for my area when I hit 30 (another year), but I am not holding my breath.

State Farm kicked me out when some one banged their door into my CX5 on a windy day. I would dance a happy dance when all of these insurance companies in the US - auto / medical etc. die a painful death.

I remember when that happened. They kicked you out for that?

You have to shop around since rates seem to go up a little each year no matter what. Then when it gets to high for comfort, a new company may lower the rate to get you to join, only to repeat the process of increasing rates all over again.

We are at $680/year with Progressive on our 2018 CX5

I shopped around again recently, and everyone else is the same or more. :( Progressive was $5/month cheaper. Not worth it at that point.

I just hate I get lumped in with "high-risk" yet have nothing on my record for the past 10 years and that hailstorms for which I had no claims for made my insurance $50/month more expensive. I hate it I tell ya!

When we deleted a 2016 Mazda 6 and added a 2019 SIG CX-5, our rates went down....based on added safety equipment. When we sold our house and rented, our rates went up. Homeowners are considered better risks than renters. A higher FICO score makes you a better risk. Your age, sex, marital status,and driving record is used to rate your policy. The state and your zip code effects your rate. Obviously, the car you drive, annual mileage, and safety equipment.

If you have collision and comprehensive, check how a $1,000 deductible can lower your rates. One reason rates keep rising is the expense to repair all the safety equipment after an accident.

My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month

Male, 27, no tickets since 2010, and last major claim in 2015 (all paid for by the guilty SOB who rear ended me though). Only vehicle, and I'm the only driver.

My previous rate was $145. Which was previously $135 before I brought my comp. deductible down.

This sucks.

Alright, who's got a better rate...who's got a worse rate?
This is a ridiculous thread. There are MANY variables to an insurance rate, including the COVERAGE purchased, the drivers' credit ratings, the drivers' driving records, the geographic location, etc. This original post is worth nothing, and the replies even less.

~ $1,350 per year. No tickets or accidents for >12 years. One car and one driver. Ed
This would be me, except accident-free for almost 50 years and ticket-free for 30 years.

My credit rating is Excellent+++
I own a home and insurances are bundled.

When I moved from a highly congested area to one where I can go 20 miles and only encounter one stop sign, I thought my rates would drop. Nope.

This is a ridiculous thread. There are MANY variables to an insurance rate, including the COVERAGE purchased, the drivers' credit ratings, the drivers' driving records, the geographic location, etc. This original post is worth nothing, and the replies even less.
angry-old-man.jpg

SHOES?!?!?!?!? When I was a kid, we didn't have feet!!!!

My insurance rates dropped significantly moving from Central FL to Northern Alabama. $1300 a year to $740 a year. Progressive and insuring my ‘13 CX-5 (owned) and ‘19 RAV4 (financed). 50/100/50 coverage I think, $250 comprehensive and $500 collision deductibles? I might have increased the comprehensive deductible now that the Cx-5 is older but I can’t remember.

I remember when that happened. They kicked you out for that?
They kicked because it was a 3rd claim in 3 years. Which is true - it wasn't my fault. I just parked in a hospital and when I came out bang it was damaged. Hospital would not give me any video etc. No co-operation. SF did not bother verifying the guilty party but said we cannot renew it.

This would be me, except accident-free for almost 50 years and ticket-free for 30 years.

My credit rating is Excellent+++
I own a home and insurances are bundled.

When I moved from a highly congested area to one where I can go 20 miles and only encounter one stop sign, I thought my rates would drop. Nope.
There are certain profiles that get charged more. Its basically - if you can afford to pay 100 for this service, it is 100 dollars for this service. Buy a banged up old car and compare its liability with your newish car liability. The old car is a bigger risk than newer car.

I pay mine outright, but works out to be around $157/mth. 33 years of safe driving, no at fault accidents, and last ticket (speeding) was in 1991. And it goes up every year.

We have 3 cars and 2 drivers. I don't understand why we have a comparable liability premiums for the 3rd car as for the other two. We can only be out wreaking havoc with 2 at a time, we can't incur liability from that 3rd one parked at home.

Back