Cx9 known turbo issues?

Hi there, looking at buying a CX9 Limited 2017 AWD with 19,000km. Like new. My mechanic friend however seems to think there can be a breathing/turbo issue and even some with 50k on the clock can be in for thousands in repairs. Any known turbo problems on these?

Hi there, looking at buying a CX9 Limited 2017 AWD with 19,000km. Like new. My mechanic friend however seems to think there can be a breathing/turbo issue and even some with 50k on the clock can be in for thousands in repairs. Any known turbo problems on these?

Not that I am aware of but as an example on the longevity and reliability of Mazda engines and the new DPT, last month I was at my local dealership getting my CX9 serviced, the sales rep I talked to said their service dept recently serviced a beat up 2016 CX9 with over 160K kms on it...mechanics were curious so they opened up the turbo and to their amazement the turbo was still intact with no sign of significant wear! With that 2017 you’re looking at I wouldn’t be too concerned about the turbo...

Your mechanic friend might be having nightmares about the Mazda CX-7 from a few years ago. That car had a turbo 4 that liked to destroy itself, sometimes in spectacular ways.

The CX-9 has a completely different engine that has been pretty reliable mechanically so far. There have not been many (or any?) posts about turbos failing on this board that I am aware of. I checked Consumer Reports' webpage, and the engine is not showing up as a reliability issue on the 2016 and up. The only trouble spot they list consistently for the new generation is the in-car electronics. This seems pretty accurate - there are a lot of complaints about the electronics on this forum. Other issues that show up are the paint (on the 2016), and the brakes (on the 2017). These also seem accurate based on postings here.

I know some people dislike Consumer Reports, but their info seems pretty reliable for the CX-9. The previous generation's consistent trouble spots are listed as the transmission and drive system, the brakes, and "engine major". These are right on the money.

Back