Sorry, but I couldn't pull the trigger (sad-ish)

:
2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)
Well, after much research, negotiation and deliberation, I wasn't able to pull the trigger on a new 2019 CX5 GTR.

The main reason was the driver's seat. I got a sore left leg, butt cheek and back after driving for a while. Not sure if i would be able to adjust, but i didnt want to risk it. I may try again, but the bottom bolster pressing on my leg caused pain. This is big letdown because I really liked it other than the seat. I'm not a big guy (5'11", 180lbs), but the way I sit just didnt jive with the seat.

I could live with the cold temp power issue, and driving dynamics were wonderful, but leg, butt and back comfort just wasn't there. And I know the kids really wanted the rear seat heaters.

Oh, and the HUD was cool. I had to get used to looking at it vs the dash, but it wasn't intrusive in any way.

Even though the CX5 and my 14 Explorer Sport have about the same 0-60, the Explorer feels quicker. Highway torque is noticeably stronger in the Explorer as well. Guess I have to go back to my earlier comment of rear sway bar and a tune for the Explorer are looking more likely. I've heard the rear sway bar really sharpens the handling and the tune wakes up the engine and transmission.

I may try it again if they still have it in a few weeks, but for now, it's moved down the list.

A number of folks have complained about the seats, but I don't see the issue and find them fine in my '19 (I'm 200lbs, 5'11"). Are you wide-hipped by any chance? I'd be interested in understanding more about why some people find them bad and others don't.

Or, I wonder if it's just to do with how folks like to adjust their seat placement?

I own a 2019 CX-5 Sig and would say that the seats are not wide enough for me and the comfort isn’t great for me. But my wife and kids find the front seats just fine.

A number of folks have complained about the seats, but I don't see the issue and find them fine in my '19 (I'm 200lbs, 5'11"). Are you wide-hipped by any chance? I'd be interested in understanding more about why some people find them bad and others don't.

Or, I wonder if it's just to do with how folks like to adjust their seat placement?

I would say I'm not wide hipped. I wouldn't be surprised if I was able to adjust the seat to fit better, but I had it overnight and put about (2) ~30 minute sessions in the driver's seat and both times ended with soreness in my leg, butt and back.

My wife commented that the seat felt a little narrow as well.

I typically have 2 left leg positions when driving. Straight out on the dead pedal and bent a bit with my left heel near the base of the seat. Neither seemed to help.

I don't know. I really wished I didnt have that issue. Again, that was the only thing preventing me from signing.

I guess could also try is to raise the seat higher. My Explorer seat is higher off the floor, so my legs below the knee are at more of a downward angle. Maybe I needed to raise the seat higher, I'm not sure. The Explorer seat is also flatter and softer (cushion wise).

Maybe they'll sell it today and I can take it off my list. :):(
If not, I might have to stop by again and try some seat adjustments.

There is a thread around here that bordered on "TMI" where folks were sharing body types and measurements in an effort to discover some common morph among those of us who have issue with the seats. I'm a skinny guy...barely broke 120# when I graduated high school. My butt hurts. So does my leg.

There was no discernible commonality.

Some number of us who followed the manual's Seat Adjustment process have found varying degrees of relief...but that's certainly not universal. My butt hurts less, but it still hurts. I expected the payments to do that...not the seat.

I am 5'11" 200 lbs. and don't have any problem with the seat. What I do have a problem with is the lumbar support. I was thinking maybe you had to much support in the lumbar setting!!

I played with the lumbar as well and didn't help much. Lumbar was way too far when I got in. I dialed it back and that helped with overall comfort, but the leg thing wasn't observed until i drove it for a while.

I am tempted to go back and try raising the seat to see if it improves.

I played with the lumbar as well and didn't help much. Lumbar was way too far when I got in. I dialed it back and that helped with overall comfort, but the leg thing wasn't observed until i drove it for a while.

I am tempted to go back and try raising the seat to see if it improves.
Try going through the steps outlined in the manual, if you have not already. That seems to get it closer to being "right" than anything else I've tried. Pg 2-8 in the 2019 manual.

Try going through the steps outlined in the manual, if you have not already. That seems to get it closer to being "right" than anything else I've tried. Pg 2-8 in the 2019 manual.

If they still have it next weekend, I might stop back and try that.
I've had back issues in the past, so a comfortable driver's seat is important.

While my wife and I have no issue with seat comfort in our Signature, I understand that there will never be a "one size fits all" seat in any mainstream vehicle. I commend you for discovering the issue before you bought one. It seems that there are a lot of people who purchase vehicles based on other people's opinions, or their own expectations, and don't take the time to thoroughly test it.

Perfectly reasonable decision...if a car isn't comfortable for you, then you would be nuts to try and make it work. CX-5 is a great car, but it's not worth it if the seats cause you discomfort. Other great vehicles out there to look at. I would think personal comfort would be a top criteria item when shopping for such a major purchase.

I was really disappointed that I had the seat issue, but I'm also grateful that the dealer let me take it overnight and get more seat time.

After driving my Explorer again today, I can see why it's more comfortable. I sit with my legs relaxed to the sides, which put pressure on the bolsters in the CX5. The bolsters in the Explorer are not as stiff and slightly wider, so I don't get that pressure.

I am seriously thinking of giving it another go if they have it next weekend. Maybe I just need to adjust how I sit. Maybe my current seating position is actually not ideal, but works for the vehicle. Maybe it was something else that started before I got into it. Who knows, but I'm willing to give it another try.

I was really disappointed that I had the seat issue, but I'm also grateful that the dealer let me take it overnight and get more seat time.

After driving my Explorer again today, I can see why it's more comfortable. I sit with my legs relaxed to the sides, which put pressure on the bolsters in the CX5. The bolsters in the Explorer are not as stiff and slightly wider, so I don't get that pressure.

I am seriously thinking of giving it another go if they have it next weekend. Maybe I just need to adjust how I sit. Maybe my current seating position is actually not ideal, but works for the vehicle. Maybe it was something else that started before I got into it. Who knows, but I'm willing to give it another try.

Just curious but any chance of issues with sciatica? That nerve runs down the leg. I've not had any issues until the past few months with this. Sounds like we sit similarly.

Just curious but any chance of issues with sciatica? That nerve runs down the leg. I've not had any issues until the past few months with this. Sounds like we sit similarly.

I've had issues with sciatica in the past, but it's been a few years since I've had any flare-up.
More recent back issues are general sore lower back and a couple 'throw outs' when picking up heavy objects (or kids). I'd say what I felt in the CX5 was similar to sciatica.

I'll admit, my typical sitting posture is not good, but the issue I had with the CX5 was different than what I've experienced in the past.

I've had issues with sciatica in the past, but it's been a few years since I've had any flare-up.
More recent back issues are general sore lower back and a couple 'throw outs' when picking up heavy objects (or kids). I'd say what I felt in the CX5 was similar to sciatica.

I'll admit, my typical sitting posture is not good, but the issue I had with the CX5 was different than what I've experienced in the past.

I dropped off my CX-5 this morning for minor body work. Picked up a rental for the week. Noticed right away how much more comfortable the seat was. But it is fabric. The leather in the CX-5 is very stiff and not forgiving. Makes the side bolsters very stiff.

...After driving my Explorer again today, I can see why it's more comfortable. I sit with my legs relaxed to the sides, which put pressure on the bolsters in the CX5...

I've suspected this to be the case for many who think the seats aren't comfortable. I find my 2018 CX-5 GT seats the most comfortable of any of the 1/2 dozen or so cars I've owned.

But I sit with my knees between my shoulders and am relatively narrow for an American. I like the support offered by the bolsters and would be less comfortable on a squishy bench that some people seem to prefer.

I've suspected this to be the case for many who think the seats aren't comfortable. I find my 2018 CX-5 GT seats the most comfortable of any of the 1/2 dozen or so cars I've owned.

But I sit with my knees between my shoulders and am relatively narrow for an American. I like the support offered by the bolsters and would be less comfortable on a squishy bench that some people seem to prefer.
Does your 2018 have leather seats?

That's the main issue.

Makes sense.

Looking at pictures of CX5 seat vs. my Explorer, the center section of my Explorer appears to sit a little higher at the front (right behind the knees) than the side bolsters and the side bolsters get taller closer to the seat back. The CX5 bolsters appear to be relatively the same height from seat back to front edge (behind knees), which could be where the pressure is applied to my leg.

Again, this issue was only on my left side. I didn't feel anything on the right.

Back